High School parking lot 'hot rods'

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was a private boarding school kid.  There were mostly mom and dad's 3-5 year old hand me downs in the parking lot.  Everything from Civics to BMWs.  A few of the cooler cars I remember (this was 20 years ago) were a '67 Mustang, '56 Ford pickup, Porsche 914, '78 Malibu 383 4-speed, 620 KC lowrider, a friend drove her dad's V8 240Z frequently, Ford Unibody pickup with a 351C, '71 Formula Firebird.  I drove an '80 210 4dr and a '35 Ford pickup.

Geez I am old, I graduated 39 years ago, when you looked in the parking lot of my high school, it was mostly american sheet metal, I had a 64 rambler as I recall, and a 65 dodge van also, got that from the bell telephone fleet.

The cool/lucky kids had chevelle malibus, a pontiac GTO/lemans, one drove a 56 T-bird, and the guy next door saved his money(birthday money mostly), and bought a yellow 55 chevy belair, but mostly we all drove cheap american cars/trucks like early ford falcons, LTDs, chevy trucks, dodge darts and such.

Cars in my high school lot:

67 HEMI GTX

72 340 'Cuda

68 383 Charger

68 GTO

69 Grand Prix

and these were just mine.

My Klem(my guidance counselor)drove a 73 350 Vette with a stick.Routinely,he'd toss me the keys for me to take it down to the auto shop and "service" it.Stretching it's legs was one of my services.

Special Thanks to Bill"doctor of motors"Fuller.

In high school I drove a 71 521 truck.  I think one other kid had a green 510.  Everybody else drove American iron, Camaros, Malibu, one kid had this gorgeous white Trans Am with a blue fire bird applique across the hood, Daddy bought it for him.  I wasn't "into" Japanese cars, it's just what I stumbled into for my first car.

My kids each drive a Honda Element.

In high school I drove a 71 521 truck.  I think one other kid had a green 510.  Everybody else drove American iron, Camaros, Malibu, one kid had this gorgeous white Trans Am with a blue fire bird applique across the hood, Daddy bought it for him.  I wasn't "into" Japanese cars, it's just what I stumbled into for my first car.

That's just sad - & more than one appliance.

Are they paying there own money for these appliances?

- Doug

Lifted Fords, lifted Toyota's, Lowered Honda's. thats what fills my high school lot if they are modded. there is a nice Stanced 1st gen MX5 that i can barely fit my hand under the car, and a modded Porsche 944 that is owned by the biggest douche on the planet.

Also there was a kid with a 74' S30 and got rid of it because of mileage, which to me is reasonable. but replaced it with an Eclipse with Scissor doors and Altezza Tail lights.... makes me sad...

my first car was a primered broken down 69 510 it didnt run and to drive it I had to fix it. The car had a hole in the number 3 piston so I grabed a spare (not knowing to much) slaped the piston conecting rod and the old bearings into the motor, put it all back together and drove it .

shortly after it developed a funny knocking sound ( rod knock ) but ran great so I kept driveing it till one day it made a few schreechy sounds and a squeek and a boom.  The rod and piston I replaced broke and the rod went out the side of the block.

My dad worked for Nissan at there main warehouse in sacramento so parts were cheap. I built an L18 motor with new flat top pistons and new bearings and rings had the head rebuilt and put it all together. I drove the wheels off that car blew up 4 chief auto cluthces 4 stock trannys and never the motor put a truck 5 speed in it and a beck and arnley HP roadster clutch in it and never had any more problems I sold that car in 94 it still ran great didnt use or leak any oil and was reliable as a new car

other kids had capries,vegas made into trucks, celicas with 18RG motors a pinto with a 302, ford mavric dodge colt etc

While I was waiting I started looking around for the 'hot rods' in the parking lot. ALOT has changed since 1983.

it's all Fast and Furious.

its all plug and play.

no one gets grease under their fingernails anymore.

i didnt get my license until i was 17. had a 67 mustang that i bought with my own money, $650, with a dented R fender.

rebuilt the 302 it had in it in autoshop my senior year.

blew it up 3 days before graduation.

......talked to a young black guy who was fueling his '83 Caprice two-door as I was fueling my mixer truck. the thing was bone-stock, super clean, semi-donk rims, kickin' stereo and he was as proud of it as I was of my '64 Fairlane in '87. his buddies kept calling it a "classic" and an "antique". they were all goofy car guys just like me and my buds were almost three decades ago :rofl: .

I dropped out of high school beginning of sophomore year, and got my GED. Went to college for automotive technology at age 20 after taking a little vacation. I saw plenty of Datsuns in the PCC Sylvania parking lot. The first stick shift I ever drove (Dad left when I was 7) was a 260z during my college class. I drove it up onto the alignment lift like I'd been driving stick for years, then told my proffesor and fellow students I'd never drove stick before. This was during my manual transmission classes, we were doing a clutch on the 260z. People were allowed to bring in cars for the students to work on, all they had to do was pay parts cost. I was in love with Datsuns right away. I don't know how I managed to get that Z on the rack w/o fully embarassing myself. I completed learning how to drive stick on a 78 620 KC. Dragon green. Felt cool as hell. I still drive that truck occasionally to this day. College was way more fun than high school, I'm happy I dropped out and went for something more challenging. Hot girls everywhere, and really cool cars in the lot. My friend ( a sort of G unit black feller) bought a plum purple Nova for $500 while we were in the manual trans course. Ended up replaceing a couple synchros on school time and equipment, and getting credit towards his grade for it. The car tore it up afterwards, he was super nervous during the rebuild but the repair was solid. Oh, the smile on his face!

Heres a young guys chiming in.

I graduated 2012 and the coolest car you could have (if you had any kind of balls) was either a fox mustang 5.0 or a 240sx.  The "car kids" who took auto shop and pretended they built motors all thought 240sx was the car to have, and most of those kids still think that. Other cars that the "car kids" accepted were lifted jeeps, miatas, scions, subarus, anything turbo, rx-7s, and anything stanced or really old was considered desirable.  

One kid had a murdered out new mini cooper that I guess most of the kids at school would call cool, one had a 2012 mustang voted "best car" in superlatives but lol v6+auto, one chick had a bad ass 80s Merc wagon td, but alas only I thought that one was cool and she was voted worst car.   Generally "popular" kids had newer generic cars, or big lifted trucks, normal kids had whatever they could afford or their brothers hand me-down, and everyone else rode the bus or got a ride.

That being said, most kids didnt give a shit about cars at all, me being one of them until about junior year.  In the eyes of the average teen who gets their first car for free from mom and dad, anything with 4 wheels that moves is better than having no transportation. 

My work is about like high school was. A decent mix of cars. A couple honderps, 2 datsuns (my 73s and an 82 720) an SVT Focus, a vw Jetta MKiv, and a few others. Of everyone there only 4 of us are actual "car guys". kinda sucks.

My first car in highschool was an auto 'yota tercel, I just wanted anything so I could learn how to drive really. It was ugly as sin with no clearcoat left, it was like it was ashy as f*$k! But man was it reliable. Haha! So that was my sophmore year, on my senior year I managed to convince my parents to help me out in buying a red 5 spd '88 dodge dakota from an uncle.. the body and paint were solid, I loved that little truck since that's the car that taught me how to drive a stick. I was an independent study kid so everybody mostly came and went by public transportation or people giving them rides. The few and in between cars that were in the parking lot were all bland and 'meh', nothing really memorable.

it was like it was ashy as f

What in the heck does "ashy" mean?

- Doug

I was the guy that drove that big black loud bronco thing, it is actually a scout 800a, 2" spring lift and a spring over for some where around 7" of lift on 35" tires, I would follow the honderps over the speed bumps at an angle (so I didn't drag anything on the under side). Or around them over the curb and thru the median.

Had some pretty retarded rigs at my school, plenty of honderps and general ricers, one sticks out in particular, red 03 mustang gt, on air bags with 20" chrome spoke daytons. Horrible car.

My first High School hot rod was a'66 Chevelle 4-door hardtop. I worked in a body shop and they got it looking pretty good for me. I then wrecked it a few months later. My next car was a '70 Nova with a 3-on-the-tree. I actually gutted the interior for that 'race car' look and left only the buckets and dash. Next came a '74 Camaro with a straight 6. I really wish I had left that in, instead of dropping in the typical 350. My last driver was a '72 Monte Carlo with a 402 Big Block. I stored that car for years and finally sold it a few years ago untouched. I did buy and sell a few cars in addition to my main drivers during those years to finance other projects. Working in a body shop helped. I could buy an ugly old Chevy, patch the rust, paint it and triple my money. Easy money while living rent free.