New Classifieds

I have been out of town the past few days, so I will try to answer some of these queries now. There is only so much you can do on a phone. 

Forum looks great Thomas! 

Any chance we could look into the ability to add a Tech Wiki in the future, like what Datsun1200 has? It would be awesome to be able to build an information database and allow certain members (over 100 posts, high enough positive feedback, etc) to be able to modify the wiki and add info. 

I know a lot of people would dig this idea and contribute. We could build a HUGE information database this was.

Also, It would be awesome to have a section for posting product/member reviews. I know it would help greatly control the number of threads asking about who makes a good 'whatever' or the constant threads about how retarded someones dealings are with another member/vendor. 

I would love to have something like a wiki or a content management system where we could build up a good information database. That was one of the plans when we first started the site, and by the way, so was a self-contained Classifieds module. 

i like it so far!! 

My only question is will we still get updates on the new classifieds like we did the old FS add's? 

They can be found in New Content. Well, they should be found there but there is currently a bug that the Classifieds module author intends to fix. It would be done already but there was a problem with his access to the files, so I hope that will be addressed soon. Same with the issue where some avatars are not being shown. 

There is certain plug-ins that allow you to leave feedback for members which can show up in profiles... similar to eBay and the such. That way you can instantly know how reputable a member is when dealing with them instead of searching through the thousands of posts in our feedback thread.

I think this is an excellent suggestion, and it will probably be implemented in the near future. 

What is with the time limit? Can we do auctions now or something? Maybe all these questions would answer them selves.

The time limit is so that ads are not perpetually in the system, especially after something is sold.

There also seems to be a time limit to how long you can edit your post since its initial posting. It would be nice to not have to create a new thread every time you want to change the price or add new photos etc. a few days after youve already added the item. 

Also, is there a way to set notifications for when questions have been asked? Skib asked something and I have no idea other than I randomly decided to look. Would be nice if there was an added notification like when someone makes an actual post. 

The time limit should be removed now. It probably has to do with communities that want to monetize off their classifieds. I asked the author about receiving notifications when questions are asked, but I am still waiting for a reply. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One more thing to ad... I'm feeling a little butt-hurt there was no warning about the switchover.  Kind of a "well let's do this right now because we are owners/admins.. f*ck those regular users".

I know there are a lot of disrespectful people and ones that act like they own the place when they are merely patrons... kind like some barflies I used to know, but I digress, still not nice to take that authoritarian attitude with the rest of us who respect the establishment.

• Like 1

And right now it seems like the cries of a few out weigh the want/need of many. 

It probably won't be so bad once the new ads pop up in the new content.  But even at that, there is a lot of information when you can discuss what's listed in the ad.  There is a TON of information in the old classifieds, people asking about certain parts....  What it will fit, etc....

I agree with DTP. That featured function should go away.  We are a community, not ebay.  And that Featured ad is still in the cars for sale section.  (Mod testing, or mod power abuse??)

Current classifieds seem is a close resemblance to craigs list. Only its easier to search on CL.... 

Does that mean there is a post count requirement to use the classified system?

Everything can be worked around if new posts display in 'New Content.' 

There is a post count requirement of 25 posts. This was requested by the moderators as it reduces on people who only come to post one-shot ads. 

If I donate sperm,,,, can I get a sperm donor tag?

Actuly for real, could I donate and not get the donater tag... its looks and feals like a little class system I dont care for much. Like something about the clasifieds, hate others blah blah blah. . . Eventuly datsun.

I actually did not know what was causing the donator tag. Once I figured it out, I removed it. 

How about a WARNING in the "old" classified section ..... so it doesn't look like everyone stopped Datsuning for however many weeks those few ads will get all the views

I really hope EVERYONE in the world see's this thread ..... .. because alot of people ONLY look in the classifieds or maybe project Datto

The new classifieds might take years to reach as many people as the old format .... :mad: ..... it's worse than the510realm right now ... :lol:

I meant to put in a link the other day, but it slipped my mind. 

I have an ad up in the old classifieds, been trying to trade my disassembled Z for a truck.

My post count is like 7 or 8.

Some might think I just joined, and I'm trying to get rid of my shit.

I've been lurking here for a long time, I've spent countless hours browsing through build threads, getting ideas for how I do and don't want to fix up my Datsuns... There are some in particular that I check almost daily, waiting for updates.

I've spent countless hours browsing through the classifieds, if there's a crosslisting on c'list I usually just call the phone number directly, don't want to clutter up the thread with questions if I'm not in a position to buy.

I haven't really had much to add to the conversations, so I tend to just lurk and keep my mouth shut.  Didn't want to be one of those people who just comment on price, or say my friend used to have one GLWS... or will this fit on my that... I get ideas, but I look stuff up, too.

This site is an awesome resource, and I really appreciate the people here.  I'll probably be here as long as I love Datsuns, which is to say forever.  My username is Auto Art (soon to change to Otto Ott) because I plan to do custom art for cars, specifically Datsuns. 

Point is, I'm not really a noob, and I'm not gonna disappear as soon as I trade or sell my Z.

Now I can't reply directly to offers on my Z though, and I can't make offers on other people's trucks in the old classified section that I had my eye on/had been negotiating for.  I thought "well, I guess I'll have to make a new ad in the new classifieds"----   NOPE!!!  Apparently now I need to make 25 posts first?

I guess I understand the motivation, and I love Ratsun, so I'll deal with it.  I haven't even listed my Z on c'list because I want her to go to a Ratsuner, someone who will love her and breathe new life into her. 

So I guess I'll go around finding stuff to say until I hit 25 posts?

Also I, too, liked the old format better- even though I didn't USE the ability to comment/ask questions directly to an ad, I liked having the option, and I liked reading other peoples' questions and comments.  Again, I understand the motivation and that it was a pain to keep clean and tidy, so if this is the way it is I'll deal with it...

...but I'm adding my vote to the "do not like" column.

Thanks for your feedback. I overrode the post limit and gave you permission to place ads in the classifieds. 

• Like 1

I know that pretty soon the old section will be deleted, but would it be possible to leave the sections there for a while with a single post in each one alerting/directing people to the new classifieds section?

I am not sure what we will do with the content in that section just yet. It probably will not be permanently deleted, though.

Looks like featured is a mod only thing right now. The  time allotment is 26 or so days, vs us regular users at 13 days. looks like it stays up at the top too, vs sliding down while others get posted.  Looks like its being tested (or abused) at the moment.  Pays to be a mod I suppose? 

What I think... Is right now only mods have power to make something featured. The featured part, is probably something us normal users can pay to have our ad on top and for longer.  IDK if the new classifieds is heading in that direction now or not, but very unlikely if so.

That featured ad should probably be removed at some point and a regular ad thrown up :poke:

There are no plans for paid "feature" ads.

I am not sure what we will do with the content in that section just yet. It probably will not be permanently deleted, though.

There are no plans for paid "feature" ads.

Figured so, why I explained what I did.

Question, tho.  Someone asked me a ? on a part I have listed. Didn't notify me.  Is that a bug the developer is working on?

Question, tho.  Someone asked me a ? on a part I have listed. Didn't notify me.  Is that a bug the developer is working on?

I asked the author about receiving notifications when questions are asked, but I am still waiting for a reply.

One more thing to ad... I'm feeling a little butt-hurt there was no warning about the switchover.  Kind of a "well let's do this right now because we are owners/admins.. f*ck those regular users".

I know there are a lot of disrespectful people and ones that act like they own the place when they are merely patrons... kind like some barflies I used to know, but I digress, still not nice to take that authoritarian attitude with the rest of us who respect the establishment.

That was not the intent, of course. We did know, however, that you cannot satisfy everybody so we expected some complaints. 

why has Skib's "FEATURED" ad not been addressed at all by any mods? Just because you act like it doesn't exist doesn't mean we don't see it.

I think at one point it was removed, but then the "featured ad" option was tested again by another mod. I could be wrong, but that ad was the first one posted so it was something of a test. 

I just wanted to emphasize. :)

I have asked about notifications, so we are just waiting on a reply. 

why has Skib's "FEATURED" ad not been addressed at all by any mods? Just because you act like it doesn't exist doesn't mean we don't see it.

They said featured on them automatically when I posted them, I dont know why.

If you took some time to actually go look youd noticed that the feature was pulled off after the first day.

this shits just as new to me as the rest of you.

You can take your fucking assumptions that they where purposely featured and purposely ignored by the rest of the staff and stick it up your ass.

Dont ever accuse me of shit like that based on your assumptions. 

The admin's and Thomas def deserve a lighter load if acheivable .

If I forgot to say it earlier Thankyou for your time and effort guys.

(Shit if I was datzenmike I would have quit a long time ago ... I personally don't have the tolerance or obvious experience he carry's ... )

I see the featured thing as an object that just creates "tension" (like painting a target on ones back) no matter which member has it is all (turns things into a "race" instead of the laid-back approach we were using for classifieds which was my favorite thing about ratsun) is all no biggy. :)

I don't care if it was Skib's ad ... not the issue ...Skibs a hell of a nice guy that does good work.

He deserves to sell his z  ( which if I was closer I'd look at it.. I have one closer in that color lol  )

Is there anyway we can keep the old classifieds open for a bit longer , put up warnings for transition into the new ones while you guys spend a bit of time stream-lining it along the way ? ( I know that could be a pain in the ass for you guys as well )

^^^ The reason I say this is about 3 out of 4 people that buy my stuff or respond ,,, do it on the ad no matter how many times I ask for them to PM/Message me lol ,,, and now the old ads are frozen ,,,  since the old ads are still there (thankyou) ... potential for-sale/wanted ads look through those instead of the new since they don't know about the new ,,,, or there is no real warning in the old about the new transition to the new classifieds ...

I also believe no matter how much you paint the screen with warning's/topic's people sometimes still don't understand what's going on , so that could be futile as well.

I don't know it's really just a suggestion.

I'll try to work a bit harder on my end though to make it work for me where I can moving things over ;)

I'm trying not to sound like I'm complaining (not the intent) , but just trying to generate some pocket cash is all  , make members aware , and make sure people know where to go to post sale/wanted ads. I do plenty of both where I can :)

Thankyou

DTP

They said featured on them automatically when I posted them, I dont know why.

If you took some time to actually go look youd noticed that the feature was pulled off after the first day.

this shits just as new to me as the rest of you.

You can take your fucking assumptions that they where purposely featured and purposely ignored by the rest of the staff and stick it up your ass.

Dont ever accuse me of shit like that based on your assumptions. 

whoa there lil' buddy! I twernt atryn' tuh rile yuh none. I have met Skib and found him to be a really cool and helpful guy, I was NOT implying that he was abusing mod powers. I was referencing his ad because it was featured.

I did go look two seconds before I posted and your ad was featured. I was just pushing for clarification on the new system because it did seem that featured ads have an unfair advantage of staying at the top.

as far as ASS-umptions go we all know what happens when we assume. So please don't assume that I assumed anything.

I haven't got on my computer to actually check out the new classifieds just my phone, it shouldn't be hard as long as we mess around with it. Thanks DTP for putting your own time to show others how to use the new classified. Forums need updates sometimes and hopefully keep the bots out of here.

I haven't got on my computer to actually check out the new classifieds just my phone, it shouldn't be hard as long as we mess around with it. Thanks DTP for putting your own time to show others how to use the new classified. Forums need updates sometimes and hopefully keep the bots out of here.

Absolutely.. and I appreciate that ArchetypeDatsun !

well, since tings are being changed already, why not change the golden rules some...4 and 7 are pretty much blatently disregarded, and number 2 seems to be a hit or miss as to whether anything is done. pages 8,9, and 11 of this thread are all examples. in fact, 4 and 7 have become ways of "making up" for doing something bad/stupid.  I have no issues with either of those 2, and its obviously not taken seriously, so why not just get rid of them? 2 I would like, if it was consistently policed. it is, unfortunately, not, so i'd say either take it out or enforce it across the board.  oh, and while i'm at it, the new classifieds are pretty fubar'd. now instead of a question asked once, maybe twice on a thread, people are going to get 1-who the fuck knows how many pms with the same question, no more easy finding out if something can swap on to what you have, and its harder to find.  easier on the mods? yes. easier on the general user? fuuuuuuuck no. 

• Like 1

now instead of a question asked once, maybe twice on a thread, people are going to get 1-who the fuck knows how many pms with the same question, no more easy finding out if something can swap on to what you have, and its harder to find.  easier on the mods? yes. easier on the general user? fuuuuuuuck no. 

Theres a questions section on all FS ads. Just ask your question there any everyone can see the answer... now the notification system for questions just needs to be fixed. 

same here lol. I also find it kinda sad that we're losing good members over this, and that there are others thinking about taking off. as much as I like most of the mods with what interaction I've had with them, it seems that some of them(wont say who because I don't have a clue who's idea it was to not only implement but also to stay the course in the face of so much opposition) have forgotten that its the members that make the community. do enough that we don't like, and we will leave, and when enough of us leave ratsun will die. we don't want to leave, and we don't want ratsun to die, but if you push hard enough it will happen, as it already has for some.