Got a new job :/

Well I been on unemployment for exactly a year.  I tell you what, being on unemployment is a pain in the ass.  They want you looking for a job which is fine.  I spent the first 4 months steady looking for a job that would pay at least enough to get by.  The job I had last was at a car dealership, I was a light duty auto mechanic getting paid $9 / hr to do all the shit work.  I worked 40hr plus 5 hrs ot a week.  ~$427 / week gross.  Between bills, rent, gas to get to work, I didn't have much left over.  Unemployment paid me max which was $362 / week without taxes being with held.  Every job that I did find out here paid minimum wage or maybe $8 / hr.  $8 / hr job would be in a factory or changing oil.  Its ridiculous if you stop and think about it.  You take your car in to have your oil changed and the guy changing you oil makes $8 and if he messes up your 30,000$ car, your out time and after your car is fixed, it may never be the same again.  

Anyways I'd rather work at Mc Donald's for $7.15 than deal with hot dirty cars all day long for $8.  I stayed on unemployment and refused to work 35+ miles away for less than $10 / hr.  I hate working just to have enough money to go back to work.  I'm certified in computer repair and network administration.  After I got certified, I landed a job working on computers for $7 / hr....  that was back when minimum wage was $5.15. 

So basically I exhausted my benefit year on my unemployment, there is suppose to be another year added to it but I have to re apply.  I need money now, bills coming up, the usual.  I ran all my cars into the ground looking for a job, and trying out cash jobs that didn't work out.  Don't worry, I wasn't cheating my state on unemployment, they have a way you can post cash incomes.  In the year I been on unemployment, I been stranded money wise a few times.  I was barely making as it was with what they paid me.  Plus their website is a total piece of shit.  They want you to post at least two different places you looked for a job per week.  They have an area on the site to post it but it don't work, the site errors out and you are f**ked and have to mail it in.  I'm fed up with struggling all the time with unemployment which I paid in to be able to get for the last 10 years I worked.

So I decided to get a job I knew I could get the whole time, but just couldn't justify the money loss.  There is this company 40 miles away from here, its a factory that makes car parts (rocker panels, battery trays, pretty much anything medal).  I got hired today on the spot, 2nd shift, $8.75 / hr.  Get a quarter raise in 90 days, and maybe a $1 in a year...  so in a years time I'll be making $10 an / hr.  I estimate it to cost me $20 / day just in gas, so $120 / week if I work 6 days.  Thats about 1/2 of the take home money I will be receiving for this "good" job.  And if my old 63 Mercury finally decides its had enough of life, then I'm stuck with driving my big block 68 Galaxie that gets 9mpg until I can fix a couple of my other cars.  All the other cars have been run into the ground, haven't had the money to fix them and the ones I thought were fine enough, broke on me this winter.

LIST OF JOBS I HAD IN THE LAST 10 YRS

-Papa Johns Pizza Driver  $8.25 / hr + $100 / day in tips...  started in 2003, worked 7 years

-Denny's Next Day Computer Repair  $7 / hr

-Construction Job $7 / hr

-Dental Lab $8 / hr

-Express Auto Car Dealership $8 / hr

-Discount tire Company $8.25

-Maxton Motors Car Dealership $9 / hr

-Building water damage repair out of state ----  never got paid for

So It looks like I'll never accomplish anything with my life....  by the time I do I'll will be wrinkled up and dried out

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

translation...  if it matters

Enterprise "Geyser Ukraine" offers the best model treatment systems on the Ukrainian market. Along with the implementation, we also provide service to install treatment systems, supply replacement modules for all models of filters.

Plug-in modules

Seems to me a delivery driver (pizza) job would pay the best of all the options you listed.  Yeah, you have fuel expenses but at least it's not 40 miles away.  Plus you don't have to claim your tips.  It's rough out there.  Not necessarily that there aren't ANY jobs -- it's just that nobody want to (or can) pay what you're worth.  It won't be getting any better either. 

I haven't had a "job" in over 4 years.  I'm fortunate enough to have a pretty well equipped home shop and enough customers to stay just busy enough to pay the bills.  I'm not getting ahead but I'm not homeless yet.  I've also been filling in at a couple small shops when guys go on vacation or they get really busy.  Actually, I'm moving my box down to a buddy's shop today.  Hoping to make it permanent, but we'll see how it works out.

Hope your new venture pans out. 

First off I want to say congrats on getting a job. I know times are hard right now which is the main reason I haven't tried to "move up" in the working world. I'm going to assume you are fairly young. Without a spouse and kids. I have both of those and I know for a fact that I will do anything to put food on the table short of begging, stealing, borrowing, and whoring out my asshole. If you want to work you can find a job. It might not be the one you want/qualified for or deserve but you won't go hungry. Good luck.

Thanks

The pizza job started off 20 miles away but that business closed and I transferred to different location 44 miles away from home.  Pizza delivery has changed since the last time I worked there.  They get paid like a waitress now when they are on a run, and minimum wage in the store.  So now days it wouldn't be worth it any more, especially for the drive and low amount of hours.

I guess I'm young, nearly 28...  I feel alot older than I really am, physically.  I'm going threw pains, aches that people my age don't usually have.  I've worked since I was out of high school to pay for things I wanted, tried not to borrow alot of money or have anything on payments.  I don't have kids or girl to take care of.  I been working all these years in hopes of landing a job I can actually live comfortably.  I've been trying to fund the restore on my 74 Datsun for the last 3 years.  I have a new LZ23 block i built, haven't finished the head yet.  Hopefully this year I get to see it all done so I can move on to an American Muscle car, of course I'll never part with my Datsun.

I've went with little or no food to afford some of the parts I acquired for my restore on the Datsun, including NOS drivers fender, reproduction passenger fender, new weber 38 outlaw and cannon intake, tach, plus much more.  I do appreciate all you ratsuners that have cut me some good deals.

I graduated high school in 2002 and went to school.. ran out of money for school after a year and needed to get a job. Back when things were good.. I landed a great job at a semiconductor manufacturing company locally.. I worked that job for 5 years then got laid off. I was making about $45k .. There were no jobs even close to that good around here. In 2008 is when things started hitting the fan for the economy.. and I was on unemployment. I was lucky to qualify for a program where I was allowed to go to school and re-train in a different field. I chose to get my degree in Automotive Technology... I graduated a 2 year program in 1.5 years taking 20+ credits. Graduated with honors. Got A's in every class but one.. where I got a B+. I found a job at a car dealership for $10 starting as a tech with no experience. (Min. wage here is like 8.95.. was slightly less back then) After a month they moved me to flat rate. As a starting tech you are slow and don't have all the tools you need.. I was R&R'ing transmissions, diagnosing cars, oil changes, and doing major services that cost $1000's to the customer.. and I'd get paid under $50. It didn't help that the dealer would only have a few cars coming in per day.. under 8 scheduled ours per tech.

Needless to say, once another position came open in the dealer I moved out of there quick!! Now I'm the Systems Administrator for the dealer. Still underpaid and overworked, but I make almost double what I did doing heavy line automotive shit.

Sounds like you need to move out of Michigan. I think you've got one of the worse unemployment rates out there.

предприятие «Гейзер Украина» предлагает лучшие модели очистительных систем на украинский рынок. Наряду с реализацией мы также предоставляем сервис по установке очистительных систем, поставляем сменные модули для всех модификаций фильтров.

сменные модули

I just now got a report of this spam. Always report them right away as I don't always check every post. In this case he's had 6 hours free to fuck shit up on our forum. The sooner they are identified the sooner I can ban them. Thanks guys.

Shit, at least you GOT unemployment. Now you bitch about the job you have... If it won't so far away I would come give you a swift kick in the ass! :fu:

I have been out of work for 8 long months... WITH NO INCOME! Thanks to our goddamn sorry assed government and living in a "right to work" also known as RIGHT TO BE FUCKED OVER BY YOUR EMPLOYER state  I can't get unemployment if  fired, regardless of how silly their bullshit reason is. If they think you are ugly, well you are fucked as long as it doesn't refer to race or sex discrimination. I was a technician at a Chevy dealer from July 2010 to June 2012. Before that a Ford dealer for 10 years, Laid off from there.The last job I got canned for a BS reason I don't feel like explaining(LONG STORY), and we have been living off the wife's job at Kroger (UNION, love it!) and getting food stamps, free food from helping hand mission, and help from everywhere to pay the bills. I have applied everywhere and had interviews. Still no job. I have given up on mechanic work as there is nothing, am applying at retail stores and fast food now. Every place that IS HIRING gets a ton of applications for the one or few jobs they have. Unemployment in NC is at 11% right now... My car and TV got repo'd too! So we have one car now, because the old Datsun needs work to be drivable again... no $ for that.  FML.

Sorry for the rant and seeming a bit rude or insulting but seeing shit like this pisses me off.  Shit, I would be happy with ANY job right now as long as it pays me money!  facepalm-smiley-face-815.gif

Shit, at least you GOT unemployment. I have been out of work for 8 long months... WITH NO INCOME! Thanks to our goddamn sorry assed government and living in a "right to work" also known as RIGHT TO BE FUCKED OVER BY YOUR EMPLOYER state  I can't get unemployment if  fired, regardless of how silly their bullshit reason is. If they think you are ugly, well you are fucked as long as it doesn't refer to race or sex discrimination. I was a technician at a Chevy dealer from July 2010 to June 2012. Before that a Ford dealer for 10 years. Got canned for a BS reason I don't feel like explaining, and we have been living off the wife's job at Kroger (UNION, love it!) and getting food stamps, free food from helping hand mission, and help from everywhere to pay the bills. I have applied everywhere and had interviews. Still no job. I have given up on mechanic work as there is nothing, am applying at retail stores and fast food now... FML. Shit, I am willing to take ANYTHING right now as long as it pays money!

Sorry to hear that. Here we can appeal and at least explain our side of the story. Most of the time people get unemployment. IMHO, too many people get it and for too long. Lots of people are riding it because they can.

I just now got a report of this spam. Always report them right away as I don't always check every post. In this case he's had 6 hours free to fuck shit up on our forum. The sooner they are identified the sooner I can ban them. Thanks guys.

Your welcome!

Well right to work just means you have to be separated from employment the right way to collect. I have been out of work collecting for some time. Made sure it was them to let me go and not the other way around. they fought it when I filed too but its extremely hard for the separating party to prove unemployment isnt warranted unless there are illegal activities involved. 

Congrats on the new job. the money may suck but try and take pride in the fact you can work for something. I make more with my unemployment but it's prob 1/1000 as gratifying. 

Shit, at least you GOT unemployment. Now you bitch about the job you have... If it won't so far away I would come give you a swift kick in the ass! :fu:

I have been out of work for 8 long months... WITH NO INCOME! Thanks to our goddamn sorry assed government and living in a "right to work" also known as RIGHT TO BE FUCKED OVER BY YOUR EMPLOYER state  I can't get unemployment if  fired, regardless of how silly their bullshit reason is. If they think you are ugly, well you are fucked as long as it doesn't refer to race or sex discrimination. I was a technician at a Chevy dealer from July 2010 to June 2012. Before that a Ford dealer for 10 years, Laid off from there.The last job I got canned for a BS reason I don't feel like explaining(LONG STORY), and we have been living off the wife's job at Kroger (UNION, love it!) and getting food stamps, free food from helping hand mission, and help from everywhere to pay the bills. I have applied everywhere and had interviews. Still no job. I have given up on mechanic work as there is nothing, am applying at retail stores and fast food now. Every place that IS HIRING gets a ton of applications for the one or few jobs they have. Unemployment in NC is at 11% right now... My car and TV got repo'd too! So we have one car now, because the old Datsun needs work to be drivable again... no $ for that.  FML.

Sorry for the rant and seeming a bit rude or insulting but seeing shit like this pisses me off.  Shit, I would be happy with ANY job right now as long as it pays me money!  facepalm-smiley-face-815.gif

I'm bitching because its 40+ miles to commute to work and the pay is nothing.  I'd make just as much sitting at home or more getting what I can from state assistance- food help, rent help, etc.  I filled out so many apps, I started in town 5 miles away, 10+ apps there, then the surrounding 3 towns 10 miles away probably another 40 apps, then a town 20+ miles away another 20 apps, then the nearest city and towns 30 miles away, probably another 60 apps.  I don't understand why I should be thrilled to make $8.75 / hr 40 miles away.  My heat cost for this is $450 / month, gas to and from work for 6 days a week will be about $120, thats not including rent, car insurance, phone, food, or any repairs I need.  In a months time, I'd be lucky to gross over 270$ over just paying heat bill and gas to work and back.  Obviously 270$ isn't enough to pay my car ins, phone, food, or rent.  So I have to choose, do I want a legal vehicle or a place to stay, etc.  I have no help, I'm alone, no one.  My dad is generous but he's barely making it as well, and can't help me.

I been working for 10 years, paid in on unemployment and could have collected a few times.  I qualified for unemployment because the business I was working for went bankrupt and closed.  I wish I was still working there, it was $9/hr and only 20 miles away.  It paid just enough to get me by.

Oh and I didn't have to learn about debt trial by error, growing up I watch these commercials get out of debt, millions in debt and I thought about it some.  I chose to buy everything outright, no credit cards, no car payments, etc.  YOU LOST YOUR CAR AND TV BECAUSE YOU DIDN'T OWN IT, NEVER COMPLETED PAYING FOR IT.  Everything I have, is paid for, no matter how fuked I get, my shit aint getting repo'd.  I know things happen, everyone thinks about the day that they are making money buy things on credit that they can pay for at the time without thinking about what happens when income stops.

Hmm life definitely sucks.

My gross wage is only $3700 per fortnight.

Earn this with no degree or higher education, just a lot of life skills and hard work.

I've had 23 year olds working for me who earn roughly $55000 (Aud) per annum.

Gotta love the Aussie government job wages.

ok skimmed this long ass post. 

I have the ultimate solution. 

Seeing as your a broke ass mofo, you qualify for fafsa (student aid) 

go to http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/ fill out 2013-2014

Go to your nearest community college, Pay the $20-$50 enrollment fee, figure out how to get the maximum in loans, they will help you in counselors office.

You will get about $2500 in cash for living expenses give or take every 3 months. You can keep a lame ass job for spending money. And in 2-4 years your future will no longer look so shitty. And in the 2-4 years when its time to pay back the loans you will be able to afford it with your new kick ass job. :)

otherwise get used to where your at because thats your future. 

• Like 1

and post your old shitty cars on craigslist, sell them, pay some bills, and buy a honda, or geo metro or another good gas mileage car of your choice in your price range. 

If anybody else needs help with everyday things PM sick620 on ratsun.net, I have all the answers. ;)

• Like 1