GOONS check in

gokiburix

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Fellow goon owners, I need a recommendation. I've got some 280zx struts and looking for recommendations on spring rates. I have 175lb springs now, but plans have changed and I'm going with a KA24DE. I don't mind a firm ride, but I don't want bone-jarring, either. Hard to decide between 200 or 225lb springs.

Opinions welcomed and appreciated. Thanks!

Duncan

@Duncan

I'm running 200lb springs up front on my wagon right now. I've a stock L16 and it rides firmly, but still feels very street-able

If I did it again I would go stiffer, with a KA I'm sure more than 200 would be preferable

Just as a side note, I've lowered the back of my wagon 3 1/8 inches. I've just discovered that the rear bottoms out on 200lb leaf springs on bigger bumps at freeway speed or with people in the back, and the U-joint at the front of the diff is slapping and then grinding against the floor of the car right below the rear seat. I'm going to notch the floor, but I would go stiffer in the back as well if I ordered new springs.

@Duncan

If I did it again I would go stiffer, with a KA I'm sure more than 200 would be preferable

Thanks! I was leaning toward 225lbs because a little stiffer would be preferable than too soft. I'm also strongly leaning towards a 4-link system with bags for the back end. I want the wagon LOW..

Thanks! I was leaning toward 225lbs because a little stiffer would be preferable than too soft. I'm also strongly leaning towards a 4-link system with bags for the back end. I want the wagon LOW..

Mark. 225# will be about right. That's what I run on mine. I have 5 way adj struts also. That makes for a nice firm ride.

coilovers a a composite ear spring...

Neither arent the cheap option, and composite is hella expensive. yes I said hella...

If you want super cheap, plumbing collars, and drop the lower spring perch for the fronts, which entails removing the spring and probably the strut, taking a cutoff wheel to the weld for the perch and then finding a spot for the collar to go with the spring perch.. And the back I would recommend starting with flipping the overload leaf upside down and onto the top of the pack. I am not a fan of blocks, I dont like the look of making the leaves closer to the ground.

cool. thx. are they hard to come by?

they were on the 280zx for one year...I think 83...google Datsun 510 wheels and you can't really miss this site:

http://kmhafer.datsun510.com/wheelchart.htm

after looking there it's the 81.5 zx's that had em...but only the turbos I think. but with patience they should pop up

Pedobear fender... I don't know if I should laugh or not...

I'm laughing....then again...

IMG_1450.jpg

Spent all day today picking up Joey's old goon from Portland and towing back to Eugene.

Here it is!

c9bcaebf.jpg

how come Joey's not keeping it? He's put alot of time/work into it. I looked at this goon a few years before he bought it. Fixing that front end couldn't have been easy.

So...

how many cats?

Only a few.

Yay its saved. Sad to see its not staying up in this region of Oregon though.

It's only 2 hours south. Should be able to be seen at Canby on the regular.

Pedobear fender... I don't know if I should laugh or not...

You should see the other fender that's not installed. (OICS when I get home.) I thought they were lulzy

how come Joey's not keeping it? He's put alot of time/work into it. I looked at this goon a few years before he bought it. Fixing that front end couldn't have been easy.

There was definitely some work put into this goon. Lots of spare parts gathered as well. Sometimes life takes you in a different direction I guess. I was planning on getting a sedan but I couldn't let this car go to someone who wouldn't appreciate it... or part it!

Ah,i see. Well at least it went to someone else on Ratsun,& it will be completed. When I looked at it the previous owner had wrecked it,then cut off lhe left front corner(inner fender,core support & all! ). It was complete otherwise,& fairly nice. I don't weld,so it was going to be way too much for me to deal with& the guy wanted way too much $ for it if I remember right. Good save!! Hope to see it driving around sometime soon!