GOONS check in

gokiburix

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just realized I hadn't posted my goon in this thread yet.

I cut up the rad support and passenger inner fender AND yanked all the wiring out the summer before last. Got a front clip from James up in Grass Valley and fixed the damage to the rad support and fender. I have pics of that :D That was a fun project.

The wiring, on the other hand, is not quite finished yet :mad: I bought a motorcycle and fixed it up and now I have another 620 that I'm working on. I'm thinking the goon is going to need some love this summer so I can get her back on the road. I bought a generic painless 12 circuit kit so it shouldn't be hard, just time consuming.

blah, blah, blah wheres the pics

............son of a bitch! Photobucket is down for maintenance! Sorry :( I'll post pics tomorrow I promise.

Sorry for the teaser :fu:

Drummerboy, let me know if you need a hand with anything! I'm here in Fair Oaks and always looking to make a new Datsun friend!

Right on, I may have to take you up on that.

i have a rear harness section avail, from the dash to the rear (no int light=cut off)

Thanks for the offer. I actually have all the lights front/rear wired up already. The alt and instrument cluster is what's holding me up. Primarily because I don't have an alt yet and I would like to get aftermarket gauges.

Ok how 'bout some pics

This is how she looked when I first got her. Not great pics but you get the idea.

117.jpg

12.jpg

1.jpg

13.jpg

Then I decided to cut her up. There was some minor front end damage, as you can see the passenger side inner fender is a little banged up. The core support was a little banged up too.

0409071735b.jpg

0409071821.jpg

DSC01333.jpg

DSC01334.jpg

Found out the pass side TC rod was attached by 3 rusted ass 1/4" bolts

(I drove it to Shasta like this lol!)

0416071417a.jpg

0416071417.jpg

That's what it looked like after I took the weight off the suspension. I cut the 3 bolts off and the TC mount actually fell off.

This is what I found underneath.

0416071755b.jpg

DSC01346.jpg

So I cut that section out and made a new piece and welded it in.

Some during and after pics of the core support going in.

0604071523.jpg

0604071522.jpg

0604071547.jpg

0604071547a.jpg

0604071859a.jpg

I'm realizing I should've taken more pics off the process. I cut out the battery tray and almost the whole inner fender forward of the strut tower. The fender's all nice and smooth now :D

While I was at it I pulled ALL the suspension/steering components, sand blasted everything, painted them, and reassembled with all new energy suspension bushings.

0701071646b.jpg

0701071646.jpg

Ok here's some pics of the car

IMG_0941-1.jpg

IMG_0939-1.jpg

IMG_0938-1.jpg

DSCN0087.jpg

DSCN0086.jpg

Got a little pic happy there :D I know how much you all like pics

Oh yeah I rebuilt my L20 and made it look all pretty too :D

DSC01319.jpg

• Like 1
Drummer your wagon has come a long way& looks nice. Some of the suspension was scary...:blink: glad you fixed it. Was wondering what method you used to drop the front?

I did the standard 280zx brake/strut upgrade in the front and used lowering springs. They're suspension technics if I remember right. In the rear I de-arched the springs.

• Like 1

Here's a pic of my new project. I've had it a couple months. Now that my 72 240z is at the finishing stages. I can start putting money into it.

picture.php?albumid=214&pictureid=955[/img]

picture.php?albumid=214&pictureid=956[/img]

Edited by two4tzfive10guy
pic not showing

Obsessing about tire clearance at my chosen ride height, I did some research on available tire sizes. On an air cooled VW forum I found that 175/55/15 tires (OEM on the back of a Smart Car) have the same sidewall height as 195/50/15s but are 20mm narrower. I found a great deal on a near new pair on ebay and thought it was worth a shot.

After mounting them up to my Infinity wheels (6.5x15 25mm offset) I gained a good 5/8" more drop and MORE fender clearance and a little more clearance next to the strut.

IMG_1178.jpg

IMG_1180.jpg

Edited by greengoon
add pictures
Obsessing about tire clearance at my chosen ride height, I did some research on available tire sizes. On an air cooled VW forum I found that 175/55/15 tires (OEM on the back of a Smart Car) have the same sidewall height as 195/50/15s but are 20mm narrower. I found a great deal on a near new pair on ebay and thought it was worth a shot.

After mounting them up to my Infinity wheels (6.5x15 25mm offset) I gained a good 5/8" more drop and MORE fender clearance and a little more clearance next to the strut.

IMG_1178.jpg

IMG_1180.jpg

Damn that thing is LOW. Looks great.

Yes, I got them of e-bay. They are brand new, but were stored for about 10 years. I got the set for $120 shipped. They don't show up to often on e-bay. I got really lucky to pick these up for the price. I always see them for over $200 and that's just the lenses no housing.

Greengoon i love the stance your wagon has. Any issues w/ the driveshaft hitting the trans. hump? Also wondering...240510guy did you get the lights/lenses off e-bay & if so how much $$$

Mark- glad you like the stance. Some people get into speed, me its suspension. I had lots of issues with clearance. Not sure if I had posted this before but this is how I took care of it.

datin.jpg

dat12.jpg

IMG_0046.jpg

I use airshocks at at least 70psi to keep it off the stops and I have redone the exhaust a few times to get it to clear. My plans are to change over to bags and stiffer shocks this summer and I think that will stiffen things up a bit with the de-arched springs.

There's a guy on CarDomain (layedoutwagon) that backhalved his wagon like a minitruck but from the very beginning, I didn't want to cut things up that much and ruin the soul of the goon.