Oldest license plate I've ever found!

I've been doing some work on the cabin I live in here in Seattle. I was under the house using a bottle jack to raise a corner of the foundation that has been sinking, as to level the house out. This license plate was used as a shim on top of the pier that was supporting an entire corner of the house! At first I thought it was a motorcycle plate because it's tiny. Turns out it's a Washington state passenger vehicle plate from 1919 with the plate number 777. How random is that! I found it funny because not only i it 777. But my 620 was manufactured 7/77. Pretty crazy. It's the only plate I've found with that low of a number from 1919. The metal guage is thick. It didn't even dent with the weight of the house. Anyone know anything about vintage auto plates?! I read that 3 years prior they used leather license plates.

photo7_zpsd8e4e3b2.jpg

• Like 1
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm pretty sure that you can't use the plate on a vehicle unless it's one from the era that it was used, and it's in usable condition. Either way, that's a badass find. When I was looking up plates for our '66 Roadster, I found a write up that referred to a guy who knows a great deal about antique plates (Washington in particular). I'll try to get you a link to his contact info.

EDIT:

I can't find his actual contact info, but the guy who wrote this up had help from Peter Madsen. You could try contacting the guy who wrote this to see if he'll give you Peter's info. http://www.corvairkid.com/66waplates.htm

Also, these guys might have some info for you as well. They're in Marysville and do plate restoration: http://www.oldlicensefarm.com/services.html

You won't be able to use it unless you have a car titled as a 1919. Probably some hotrod guy with a t- bucket that would love to restore and use that plate especially with "777" as the number. There are a few company's that restore plates with original colors so they can be registered. I think it's worth a bit more than $20.

It wont be in the DMV"S system and yes it could be register to a 1919 car again. If it doesn't look like it's rusted through anywhere you can soak in molasses and water (don't laugh, antique collectors do it all the time because it dissolves the rust but wont touch the good metal, but does take a couple of weeks) to clean it up. This isn't like when you telling your little brother that peanut butter makes a bee sting go away, it really works.

I'm pretty sure that you can't use the plate on a vehicle unless it's one from the era that it was used, and it's in usable condition. Either way, that's a badass find. When I was looking up plates for our '66 Roadster, I found a write up that referred to a guy who knows a great deal about antique plates (Washington in particular). I'll try to get you a link to his contact info.

EDIT:

I can't find his actual contact info, but the guy who wrote this up had help from Peter Madsen. You could try contacting the guy who wrote this to see if he'll give you Peter's info. http://www.corvairki.../66waplates.htm

Also, these guys might have some info for you as well. They're in Marysville and do plate restoration: http://www.oldlicens...m/services.html

I have a customer that collects plates and sells them, he found me a 1967 era washington plate with the registration stickers/tags on it for the year of 67, I can put them on my 67 datsun roadster as my collector plate if I want, he was only able to fine one though.

I dont know about where you are, but in SC we have Year Of Manufacture plates, meaning my 75 B210 could be registered using a 1975 SC tag if I could find one and if I run a current sticker. If your state has this, you would have to register it to a 1919 Ford or Dodge Bros or whatever you could find.

99.999% of the time antiques are valued for their found condition, meaning this same plate as a pristine original is probably worth 4 times as much as this plate restored. Things like this are worth whatever someone is willing to pay, could be 10 bucks, could be $250. much like an old sign, condition, color, and number are deciding factors.

NOW a fun idea...T bucket body shells are dirt freakin cheap. Why not a t bucket with a frame and such from a 620 or 720 registered as a 1919?

Hah! A Tbucket 1919 Datsun. That's funny. Could be rad though! Thanks for all the info! I'm pretty sure it's worth a bit more than 20 bones but I'm not really sure I'll be selling it, as it's part of the history of my home. I've found a plethora of odd things on this property. Including, believe it or not. A baby grave from 1907 covered in dirt in the back corner of the lot.

Thanks for the links DatWifey! I'll try and check them out.

• 4 months later...

I collect the older plates, and have a stash of stuff for the 70s too.  I even have a leather plate and stuff from 1904-1985. DId you know you can USE the plate from the yr your car was manufactured and NEVER pay for tabs again?

Even though the 19 has no paint and would cost about $80 for a pro repaint, I'd like to trade for it -- I have a ton of plates you guys could use. 

Once several years back while hunting on private property (with permission) I came accross an old broken down one room shack in western So. Dakota. The occupant had nailed up a couple of 1917 & 1918 license plates to cover small holes in the wall. The land owner did not want to sell them.

I need to dig thru the junk in my old barn. I may have one or two from "60's or 70's if they have not been tossed out.

I have a customer that collects plates and sells them, he found me a 1967 era washington plate with the registration stickers/tags on it for the year of 67, I can put them on my 67 datsun roadster as my collector plate if I want, he was only able to fine one though.

You only need one :)

LOL that 1919 on EBay is not worth that asking price, not even close.  If you want to trade, I can trade late 60s, early 70s plates you can use as YOM plates right on yer ratsuns.

Now these 60s and 70s are going for almost $60-$80 on EBay because they are in the prime target area for registering cars - muscle cars, etc.

If a plate is 30 yrs old or older, get it on a car!

Waht are the dimensions of your 1919?