Oil filter wrench in a pinch

So I'm changing the oil on my neighbors 01 Pathfinder. No big deal, I do this shit all the time at work. drop the drain plug and go to get the filter wrench and I realize that I left my good one at work. I do have a really crappy one, so I give it a try. No dice. It is too crappy to work in this case. In the shit can it goes! What to do? I'm not driving to work to get mine, not buying one just for this stupid side work job, then I recall a Mythbusters episode I watched last night. Duct Tape!

I'm going to make my own strap-type oil filter wrench. Scrounge around and find some 1/4" drive extensions. First attempt to do this with 2 layers of tape just tears off, so I made it 4 layers thick. It totally worked!

Check it out! (I know you guys love pictures)

f1742a68.jpg

On the new filter so you guys can see...

aa763c41.jpg

• Like 1
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ya'll use oil filter wrenches?

I just get in there and man-handle it because not a fuck is given!

It's when people put the damned things on too tight when things become a problem...

I like the idea though! I'mma give it a shot if there ever comes a time that I can't get one off, giggity.

The only time I had an issue... I jamed a screwdriver through it. And proceeded to rip the entire back of the oil filter off with the screwdriver! Oil filter was *ON THERE*.

Only one I've ever had a problem with, but I kind of have gorilla hands and arm strength so when somebody can't get a filter off they call me. I should start charging for this service. I usually get paid in beer, cigarettes, or food.

Thanks guys.

No room for the screwdriver trick. Tried that once when I was first starting out. Total nightmare mess. Ended up chiseling off the filter base as that was all that was left. Never do that again LOL! I used to manhandle and reef on stuff too. No room for that either.

I think I will remember the filter wrench next time for sure.

First off, so very cool idea. Second off, you been to your local NAPA lately? It's like 6 bucks or so. Works like a charm! :D Part number 776-9017 1/2" drive goes in the bottom. I've used it many hard filters.

oilwrench.jpg

Um wow. That is just way to elaborate. I just use a screw driver, stab it threw both sides and it turns right off. I have done this a few times on friends cars.

I did that one time and ripped the filter in two it was so tight

Um wow. That is just way to elaborate. I just use a screw driver, stab it threw both sides and it turns right off. I have done this a few times on friends cars.

This is how I remove mine when I can't find my wrench, it works great, but makes a mess. :P
  • 2 weeks later...