V8 in a 510

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know of anyone here who has done it though, too much hacking needs to be done to make it fit plus all the extra weight in the nose would probably affect handling. BUT, I say if it has already been hacked, get it running, drive it and tell us how it goes. You're not causing any extra harm running what it was set up for and you will answer the age old question "what if I stuffed a 350 in a 510?" BTW nice score, cant loose on a free 510

"the complete guide to motor swaps" has 2 pages on the v8 510, lots if questionable info tho, "the 510 has heavy duty suspention perfect for a v8 swap" not any ive seen, it was writin in the late 70s tho maybe heavy duty ment something else back then.

I see some good pars that can be used.

maybe a v8 in a gen 2 RX7 might be money better spent

good god no, screw your stupid v8's, whats wrong with the rotary sitting in there? if you want something like a v8 rx7 just buy a 3rd gen camaro ,more space, similar body style, and it much less gay.

good god no, screw your stupid v8's, whats wrong with the rotary sitting in there? if you want something like a v8 rx7 just buy a 3rd gen camaro ,more space, similar body style, and it much less gay.

seriously, says the guy doing a widebody fwd car? yo you just blew the welds on the intake.!!!!!!!!!!

v8 510 not the best idea. id just throw a l in it and runt the patina. but if you have your heart set on it go for it and be different than all the guys thinking inside the box doing ka and sr swaps....

• Like 1

I don't remember reading in the OP that there was a rotary sitting in it. Did I miss something?

Yes, it's been done. It's ALL been done before. Are you sure that thing is structurally capable of handling a V8 -- or any engine? I see a lot of good parts but also a lot of rust.

No sh** ! Based on the quarter panels I'd assume the rest of it is shot to sh**

I know someone that drove a V8 510. "Handled like a rhino on wet grass." I vote finding a cheap L and running it.

LMFAO a rhino on wet grass... which wouldnt be bad handling if you wanna run through a fence.

I friend of mine had a V-8 2nd gen RX. Had a Ford 302 in it. Sold it to a guy on the other coast... new owner made it to Minnesota before he wrecked it.

I saw a Buick 215 V-8 510 once, I was buying parts from the guy, the car didn't run though. That engine looked like it'd work, being aluminium and a hell of a lot lighter than a standard Ford of Chevy smallblock.

Simply by design and personal preference... v8's don't belong in 510's. Heavy, handle like butthole, you have MAJOR work, L-motors are more enjoyable, you'll have shit gas mileage, it'll take a lot more than springs and shocks to make it safe to drive,... That being said, V8's are cool in Z-cars. And 240sx's. But please don't ruin a perfectly good 510 to slam a v8 in it. You'll never be happy with it in the end, the fab work would be *immense*, and it ruins the car IMHO. It'd be like driving a dump truck.

seriously, says the guy doing a widebody fwd car? yo you just blew the welds on the intake.!!!!!!!!!!

v8 510 not the best idea. id just throw a l in it and runt the patina. but if you have your heart set on it go for it and be different than all the guys thinking inside the box doing ka and sr swaps....

yeah but I also own a 2nd gen rx7, and to people like me or my brother taking the rotary out of an rx7 is a sin, do whatever you want to the body but just leave the right motor in there.

It's already done but easy to bring it back to original. If I do plop the 305 into it I think I'll make it into a drag car so handling would not matter. The thing that will be the decision make would be if the car is still in the Alberta registries. It won't pass an out of Provence