V8 in a 510

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Note also that Pete Brock moved the dash back 12 inches to fit the V8 in the proper position. Sticking it where the current L20 is, is not a good idea for handling.

I was curious and looked into the 215. It is light as a feather, guys picking up the block with one hand. There is a big following for these, mostly in the UK. A stock 4.6L Rover (same block, sort of) is 225hp/280tq stock. Easier to find 4.0's are down about 50/50 stock. The earlier versions are carb'd, I don't know if one could convert the 4.0/4.6 to run off a dizzy and carb.

There are some versions that have issues with head gaskets, pre-96 blocks.

This was just with some quick searching....

Well that Buick 215 was around way back in the early 60's up into the late 70's. "215" could mean anything up to a late 90's Rover motor, the block stays the same externally but the accessories, heads, valve covers, mani's can change a lot.

Rovers have factory SS headers, btw, kinda cool imo.

Look into and post what you find out! I'm thinking if a 4.0L Rover motor can be had for <1K and you either do the go with the stock injection or find out if you can swap over to the earlier motors carb setups (UK had quad SU's on some performance models) than that's a pretty sweet way to get a light weight motor with an ass ton of torque cheap.

You now have my attention. I thought a SBC was a bad idea but the Rover/Olds/Buick has some merit. Still not sure your particular car has enough actual steel left. Hopefully it's not as bad as the pics indicate.

Isn't that pretty sweet though.... he's already setup for it even. The aftermarket is a little weak for heads but cams are out there and since we are talking a 510 200-28-lb of torque coming in by 3k is plenty and that's from stock pickings. It's hard to say where his frame is at, I sold a wagon (to Izzo) and looked very similar to the pics he posted of his 510, the frame and the rails were straighter than any 40yr car I've ever seen, they were perfect.

Personally I wouldn't want to do the EFI thing... I'd look for the carb option.

Don"t try putting a V8 into a 510 if you don't have the time, skills, money, and expertise to do so. It is possible to install a V8 into a 510 without it being a nose heavy, ill handling beast. It cannot be done as an enginge "swap". You need to plan the whole design changes before cutting anything. It is possible to put a Ford V8 into a 510 with better balance than the stock car. The stock weight distribution of a 510 is about 56% front and 44% rear, the car in the pictures is 51% front and 49% rear. It's a daily driver and has 45000+ miles as a V8 mod. V8 510's can't handle? We have a lot of 510's in the SoCal area, but very few ever make it to the autocross events. Take that beast out and have some fun, they are meant to be played with!

Enjoy the ride!

510-V8-302_INSTALL.jpg

IMG_4690.jpg

Interior-passenger.jpg

Auto-X-Practice-112109-200PC.jpg

SDAD3-25-12-0869ZF-4384-52540-1-001.jpg