My friend Tim's '77 hatchback

datsunfreak

How we ditched the booster was we took the master cylinder mounting plate from a 510 (it was originally made for a booster but didn't have one). It will bolt up to the firewall in place of the booster, and then the master cylinder bolts up to it.  :thumbup:

I seem to remember zooking some bolts in to that plate... but that might have been so I could install the thing by myself.

I'd be willing to bet that D'Feak posts some... "oics?" when we take it off the car.

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not really a Ford distributor. As I said earlier, it's a custom "hybrid". It's GM HEI-style distributor on the top half, but an old school Ford distributor on the bottom half. 

This way makes it easier to wire, and the GM distributor has waaaaay more aftermarket support. 

And way higher spark voltage ,,,, my buddies have been using those for quite awhile and just a few years ago they were paying $160 ,,,  and now my friend with a 46 ford bought 2 for about $100. bucks new on ebay about a month ago....

:thumbup:

I feel dated with my pertronix i used to be so proud of ..

hey if you guys want the finned aluminum "powered by ford" valve covers i have a set kicking around the shop i know you got the chrome ones already but just throwing it out there

i cant wait to see this done ive seen a ford v6 stuffed into a b210 and it was tight the v8  looks to be a good fit though

hey if you guys want the finned aluminum "powered by ford" valve covers i have a set kicking around the shop i know you got the chrome ones already but just throwing it out there

i cant wait to see this done ive seen a ford v6 stuffed into a b210 and it was tight the v8  looks to be a good fit though

IMG_1512.jpg

IMG_6722.jpg

Doesn't look that tight...    :rofl:

Assuming that's the engine Bonvo referenced, of course. On Tim's, part of the reason for using the late model engine is the much slimmer reverse flow water pump, and serpentine belt setup. That saves you almost 2" off the front of the engine. Only thing I'm concerned about right now is room for fans. But I think we'll be fine.  :thumbup:

would need to see more pics of the car but it looks like it might be the one i saw the guy who was selling it was in dixon and the rear brakes werent functional i also was only able to see it in the dark 

not sure on a price on the valve covers ill get back to you on that

Only thing I'm concerned about right now is room for fans. But I think we'll be fine.  :thumbup:

Naw, we got room out front t'wixt the rad and the grille.  We might have to trim just a wee bit off of the back of one rib on the grille though.  Easy peasy, lemon squeezy.

Wait, did I just say that?

Today's progress...

Brake master on...

datto_015.JPG

To space it out a bit we installed the BMC adapter plate backwards. You can see we trimmed it to clear the firewall pinch weld. 

datto_017.JPG

Left side of mount...

datto_019.JPG

Inside was a piece of cake, just shortened the stock B210 pushrod a bit...

datto_023.JPG

Then we hit a bit of a snag.  :huh:

Turns out while the Xterra calipers used the same size brake lines as the older Datsuns (lines went straight on), the master cylinder does NOT. Instead of the standard 10mm brake line fitting, it uses a bigger 12mm brake line fitting. 

After head scratching for a bit I decided to google "brake line adapter". Apparently it's a common enough thing that there are adapters out there to put almost any line into almost any caliper/master cylinder. Rather order them online and wait another week, after we parted ways following lunch Tim decided hit up the local Pep Boys. Not only did they have some, they had the exact one we needed.   :thumbup:

So popped that in and it worked a treat...

datto_024.JPG

Then Tim went and got another (first store only had one in stock), and hooked the brake lines up for good.  :thumbup:

photo~5.JPG

So hopefully next week we can button up the brakes for good.  :thumbup:

And for the hell of it, here's Tim's Genesis.   B)

datto_007.JPG

Today's progress...

Brake master on...

datto_015.JPG

To space it out a bit we installed the BMC adapter plate backwards. You can see we trimmed it to clear the firewall pinch weld. 

datto_017.JPG

Left side of mount...

datto_019.JPG

Inside was a piece of cake, just shortened the stock B210 pushrod a bit...

datto_023.JPG

Then we hit a bit of a snag.  :huh:

Turns out while the Xterra calipers used the same size brake lines as the older Datsuns (lines went straight on), the master cylinder does NOT. Instead of the standard 10mm brake line fitting, it uses a bigger 12mm brake line fitting. 

After head scratching for a bit I decided to google "brake line adapter". Apparently it's a common enough thing that there are adapters out there to put almost any line into almost any caliper/master cylinder. Rather order them online and wait another week, after we parted ways following lunch Tim decided hit up the local Pep Boys. Not only did they have some, they had the exact one we needed.   :thumbup:

So popped that in and it worked a treat...

datto_024.JPG

Then Tim went and got another (first store only had one in stock), and hooked the brake lines up for good.  :thumbup:

photo~5.JPG

So hopefully next week we can button up the brakes for good.  :thumbup:

And for the hell of it, here's Tim's Genesis.   B)

datto_007.JPG

Oh no! Brand X made in Korea, the shame! :rolleyes:

Drive one. You might change your mind.  B)

I was refering to the fact that it is non Nissan posted on this site, and I could drive it till the cows come home, and the BRZ would still be my favorite new sporty coupe!

I was refering to the fact that it is non Nissan posted on this site, and I could drive it till the cows come home, and the BRZ would still be my favorite new sporty coupe!

To each his own, but the BRZ is a lot slower and more expensive. 

Now that is a fun toy, worthy of a post here! :thumbup:

And it's Datsun-powered too.  B)

I don't want to take this off topic again, but are there complete pics of the seven some where? I always wanted one, but never got around to it. At one time I was looking at the Rotus kit with an 215 Aluminum Buick stroked to a 300, old dreams coming back, time to wake up!