My friend Tim's '77 hatchback

datsunfreak

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You don't know Tim. If it runs, stops, and turns, it's done.   :rofl:

I'm scrambling like a madman to get his 1200 painted before he gets it running...    :frantics:

I so want to contradict him here... but I can't.  He's totally correct.  That's why I love Weber carbs so much, bolt them on and nine times out of ten they fire right up.  And if they fire up and drive, they're tuned up... or close enough for me at least.

• 2 weeks later...

Yea, I'm thinking of throwing a weber on to the new coupe. Tired of messing with that smog carb. Either that or find one of those elusive 1200 carbs and desmog the engine...

So, this one is going electric still or has the direction been changed again? I have a hard time keeping up with you guys :)

• 1 month later...

Yesterday I ordered four, count them: FOUR books from Amazon on converting a car to electric.  John and I were talking and we think that with these as guides, we can "Hillbilly" this thing together for less than the cost of a kit... after the Chickenhawk is done of course.

• Like 3
  • 2 months later...

Just to bring this project back to the forefront, we are thinking of changing plans once more.  With sanity prevailing here, along with my growing confidence in my ability to weld dirt to air, we have decided that the L-28 with the Skyline single down-draft could be shoe-horned into this project.  

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

Some kids stopped by the shop the other day to ask if we had any "project cars" for sale.  The only thing in the same area code as their budget that they showed any interest in was this car.  Of course while showing it to them I remembered just how much I love the shape of the B-210 hatch... especially with these flares, wheels, and big-assed brakes!  Since I'm sure the parents will put the kibosh on the deal, I'm pretty confident that it'll stay on MY back burner.  So... um, thanks for letting me wash my head at you all.  Never mind.

• Like 2
  • 2 months later...

Yesterday I ordered four, count them: FOUR books from Amazon on converting a car to electric.  John and I were talking and we think that with these as guides, we can "Hillbilly" this thing together for less than the cost of a kit... after the Chickenhawk is done of course.

Ok, I finally read three of those books, one was just a useless rant trying to convince me to convert my car.  

Hey dumbass, if I wasn't already on board, I wouldn't have bought your book!  

But I digress.  Anyhoo, after reading the others, I have decided that battery-electric is not ready for prime time just yet.  Sure, there are lots of electric cars running around, but when I read, in all three books, that batteries are depleted when they are discharged to 80%, I said "No thanks."  Why?  Notice I said "discharged TO 80%" not "discharged 80%."  That's like having a ten gallon gas tank which is "empty" while still holding eight gallons.  Therefore if your battery pack weighs 500 pounds, you are essentially toting around 400 useless pounds in batteries WHICH DO YOU NO FRIGGIN' GOOD WHATSOEVER!  Fork that schist.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

So I'm working on putting a 280ZX turbo engine in a 280Z for the boss, right?  And I'm grokking the zorst manifold thinking, "Y'know, I have that blow-through carb top hat thingy and blowoff valve sitting there..."

Braaaaaaapsssssssshhhhhhhhhhh!  Braaaaaaapsssssssshhhhhhhhhhh!  Braaaaaaapsssssssshhhhhhhhhhh!  

• Like 1