My friend Tim's '77 hatchback

datsunfreak

Are you guys gonna make more of them brake brackets?

Had not planned to, no.

And if you have access to a drill press, a hacksaw, and some free time, they aren't tough to whip up.   :thumbup:

This brake choice was really just a crime of opportunity. I had the brakes, and no specific place to use them, so we gave it a bash. 

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So the front setup is 300zx hubs to widen track,

300ZX to widen the track, yes. If you have no need to widen the track, you can also run the 280ZX hub, it will work just like ours did except instead of making a bracket 1.25" thick, you'd make one roughly 1/2" thick.

and Xterra Rotor and caliper? What year Xterra?

These are from a 2007 Xterra. But several years in that range work, as well as Pathfinder stuff (it's the same). 

I assume you redrilled the rotors to 4x114.3?

Yes. The Xterra is 6x114.3, so they are very easy to redrill. We just took a spare hub, knocked out two of the studs, then bolted up the rotor to it using the two remaining studs. Then we flipped it over, put it on the drill press, and used the two empty stud holes as a guide to drill the two new holes in the rotor. 

what brake master are you using with those Xterra brakes?

That is not decided yet, but I am relatively sure the current 280Z 7/8" master ain't gonna get it done.   :rofl:

Thinking either try a 1" master from a later Z, or just bite the bullet and get an Xterra master cylinder. 

Xterra master can be had from Rock Auto for around $60.   :thumbup:

He's in Canada though. Betting they disappeared up there long ago...

Maybe you could help him get some then?   :thumbup:

I have a pair that I decided not to use, that I would part with, if he still needs them.

Did some clean up work, chased all the intake bolt holes with a tap to clean them out, and a few more small things...

Got the new valve covers on, and intake permanently installed...

crap_002~3.JPG

Got the carb and distributor installed...

normal_crap_003~3.JPG

Turns out the nice pretty chrome air cleaner that came with the kit doesn't clear the "HEI" distributor, so we'll need to pick up a smaller one for next week.  :P

Which Ford was that huge distributor cap used with?

Not really a Ford distributor. As I said earlier, it's a custom "hybrid". It's GM HEI-style distributor on the top half, but an old school Ford distributor on the bottom half. 

This way makes it easier to wire, and the GM distributor has waaaaay more aftermarket support. 

Let us know how it goes, I am looking into doing this brake upgrade, and thats all im worried about is the master cyl

Pics and info will be posted shortly, but it looks really super simple. 

Have you already ditched the brake booster? We did, and you may need to in order to do what we're doing. 

And if you have time, you might want to wait until we actually drive the car before spending your cash. But we should have an inkling of how well it works as soon as we bleed the system and see how the pedal feels.  :thumbup:

I wont be ready for this for a few months anyways, so you should have taken the car out by then, I will be waiting till i get some 280zx struts, and no I haven't ditched the booster yet, but its simple to do.  Right now I've got the B in the paint shop, slowly finishing the final sand before sealer and paint.

I wont be ready for this for a few months anyways, so you should have taken the car out by then, I will be waiting till i get some 280zx struts, and no I haven't ditched the booster yet, but its simple to do.  

FYI, the bore size on the Xterra master is 1", and plenty of other Nissans came with this bore size too. So if you can find another that suits your packaging needs better and is a 1" bore, you should be fine.  

How we ditched the booster was we took the master cylinder mounting plate from a 510 (it was originally made for a booster but didn't have one). It will bolt up to the firewall in place of the booster, and then the master cylinder bolts up to it.  :thumbup: