My friend Tim's '77 hatchback

datsunfreak

Coilover sleeves on!

crap_013~0.JPG

Mocking up caliper bracket on rotor...

crap_019~0.JPG

Bought two big hunks of aluminum to makes some brackets. Drilled a few holes...

crap_011~1.JPG

And bolted them up to the caliper...

crap_018.JPG

Caliper clearance came out spot on...   :thumbup:

crap_022.JPG

Next week we will drill the holes in the brackets to mount them to the strut housing. Then when that's done, we'll probably trim as much off the brackets as we can. Aluminum is lightweight stuff, but when it's a hunk that's 8" long and 1.25" thick, it gets heavy quick.  B)

• Like 1
  • Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

New engine, came from a 2001 Explorer. Comes with the better GT40P heads than the earlier models. Will probably start stripping it down next week...

normal_crap_002~0.JPG

Got the coilovers/springs on...

normal_crap_006~3.JPG

Should have the tops on the struts and have them back in the car next week. Would have had them in today if not for the fact that our newly finished caliper brackets happen to foul the calipers themselves...   :rofl:

• Like 2

Finished caliper adapter bracket...

photo_%281%29.JPG

Center was cut out to shave some weight and won't make it any weaker. Also you can see the holes are countersunk so that the bolt heads tuck inside the bracket. When viewed from above you can only see the bracket, none of the attaching bolts. And we were able to use shorter bolts this way.

• Like 1

You guys work hard for a couple of old guys from the city.

Maybe when I grow up I can have the bank roll to do stuff like this.

I finally scrounged up enough money to start my project again.

Wanna race to see who cranks first?

whats the deal with the red threaded peice you added to the lower strut tube?? i did a double ajustable double take.

Basically the whole strut tube is one long threaded collar now.  :rofl:

Rather than weld a flange to the tube to support the black threaded collar, we stacked up two collars on it. I wanted to paint the red collars black, but Tim said no.  ^_^

Got the front brake lines connected, and wheels put back on, then pushed it outside to clear some space. 

Front brakes done...

crap_017~1.JPG

Got the engine off the pallet and on the engine stand. Took about 30 minutes to strip it down to a long block. Thankfully when we took off the intake it looked brand new inside. No sludge, no crud, just gorgeous.  B)

And of course Tim couldn't resist test fitting the new intake...  :rofl:

normal_crap_008~2.JPG

And test fitting the new distributor. :rofl:

It's a GM HEI distributor on top, but the bottom half is all Ford.  :thumbup:

crap_014.JPG

After that, we flipped it over, took off the rear sump pan, removed the stock pickup tube, replaced it with the front sump pan pickup tube from the 289 we were going to use. 

normal_crap_020.JPG

Thankfully the bottom end looked just as clean as the top end, but we had to stop there since we didn't have a new pan gasket.   :sleep:

Next week we'll get a new pan gasket on it and put the front sump pan on.  :thumbup:

Next week we'll get a new pan gasket on it and put the front sump pan on.  :thumbup:

Unless I do something dumb after lunch like go to the Boys of Pep and buy an oil pan gasket... then "clean" and install the pan.  Oh wait, I did exactly that!