My friend Tim's '77 hatchback

datsunfreak

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And as a note to Tim who is likely monitoring this, ggzilla is the same person as ddgonzal.  :thumbup:

Yeah, I somehow broke that code on my own.  I have my moments.

As for Lil' Wiggly news, I bought a pair of Circle Track/Dirt Car bolt-on brake brackets today and got one of them modified to work with the Kia caliper on the rear axle.  Tomorrow I'm going to see about making the parking brake caliper bolt up somehow... that, or I'll make the bracket for the other side.  It is pooible that we WILL finally have that axle in and the car rolling this week!

Tim got lots of work done while I was away.  :thumbup:

When I got there today he had the rear axle ready to go in, brakes done!

So we set to work and got it in...

crap_024.JPG

As we expected, too wide to fit the wheels under the car, so it's flare time!  :thumbup:

crap_025.JPG

Got the holes drilled, rivnuts installed, time to cut!  :o

crap_029.JPG

Rear flares done...

crap_037.JPG

Overall look...

crap_040.JPG

For the time being, we are just going to run the rear flares and see how we like it. The front wheels fit without flares, even with using the 300ZX hubs to widen the track. But we can always add them later if we feel it needs it. 

Until next time.  :bye:

First, I love this project. Just ran across it tonight and it's gonna be fun! Second, I'm pretty sure that's a 7.25" or 7.5" rear end. The 8" looks like a smaller version of the 9" with a drop out center like the H190. Not really a big deal unless you ever need to buy gears or bearings. Any of the 3 options should be fine strength-wise in such a light car. There's just more aftermarket support for the 8" is all. Hope that doesn't ruin anyone's Christmas. Keep up the good work!

Picked up an 8" rear end from a 1964 Falcon today.

_T2eC16dHJGoE9nuQg13lBP7P!EpN+!~~60_12.J

crap_024.JPG

I didn't catch that myself, din't look at the pic that close. I'm presently searching for a 8 in. from a mustang II or V6 pinto for my 1200. I'm hoping the width will be close. I'm thinking that the 8" will be a good choice as good choice of ratios, plus Detriot locker or the trutrac are available for it. I plan on going with the trutrac since drag racing is not my primary interest for this car, I want to play on a road coures more. I will be watching this build closely, as I think this will be an awesome car when it hits the road.

I didn't catch that myself, din't look at the pic that close. I'm presently searching for a 8 in. from a mustang II or V6 pinto for my 1200. I'm hoping the width will be close.

The mid-60s Falcon was the narrowest one we could find, based on a moderate amount of research. The Pinto/Mustang II diff was another 1" wider than this one. 

The mid-60s Falcon was the narrowest one we could find, based on a moderate amount of research. The Pinto/Mustang II diff was another 1" wider than this one. 

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. I'm supprised that a falcon was narrower than a pinto. What was the width drum to drum on the falcon?

What was the width drum to drum on the falcon?

Don't remember the number offhand, but I know it's 4" wider than a B210, so around 4.5-5" wider than a 1200? 

I'm supprised that a falcon was narrower than a pinto

As were we.  ^_^

But it's a difference of only 1". 

edit: Rumorpedia says the Mustang II, Pinto, and first-gen Falcon bodies are all roughly 70" wide, so...

56.5" overall according to this: http://www.carnut.com/specs/rear.html. Most of the charts I've seen online are just cut and paste versions of it. I really didn't mean to sidetrack the thread. Just thought it might be helpful info.

Now you say that, it's coming back to me. The Falcon is 57", the B210 was 54". So a Maverick would have saved us 1/2", but that wouldn't be enough to justify hunting it down. 

And from that chart, it looks like a Chevy S-10 would be the best donor for almost any Datsun? Narrow, available LSD, etc....

Got the rear end install finished, and the brake lines connected. Jacked the front up and took the struts off. 

Swapped the 280ZX hubs out for 300ZX hubs, with new ARP studs installed...

normal_crap_009~1.JPG

Tim picked up some coil-over sleeves and 2.5" 225lb springs since the B210 springs were WAY too soft for the V8.  :rofl:

So now to cut off the stock 280ZX spring seats for the coilover sleeve install...

crap_010~0.JPG

Hopefully next week we can finish up the coilover install, and fit the front brakes. We did do a test fit of the front brakes today, so now we just need to pick up some metal to make the adapter brackets.  :thumbup:

• Like 1

Screw that hacksaw mess!  I bought some wheels for the cutoff tool the other day so we'll use air power to get those perches off.  Oh, and Smiley's just called to say that my springs are in.  I'll go get them... um, some time.

• Like 1
 Those overfender flares look great, but how are you going to install them w/o dealing with the rust on the rear arches?

There's no rust on the arches, just the dogleg where the rocker meets the arch. And it really isn't that bad as far as B210s go. The coupes are seemingly all rusted there. 

And Tim loves "rat rods". He ain't too interested in making 'em "purty". Too pretty and you're scared to drive it like it should be driven.  B)

Some day I'll probably force him to fix the rust and paint it, We'll see...  :rofl: