My friend Tim's '77 hatchback

datsunfreak

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea, I was wondering why in the world you would need the 24. The only reason I mentioned it is the fuse box in the pics are the same ones shown with the 24 set. The 12 and 18 only show one reloay in the lower right corner of the fuse box (looking at your picture).

The 24 also comes with GM style connectors and lots of other thing that you would probably never need on a Datsun. At $400 for that kit, I think I'll stick with the 18 circuit ($270).

Yea, I was wondering why in the world you would need the 24. The only reason I mentioned it is the fuse box in the pics are the same ones shown with the 24 set. The 12 and 18 only show one reloay in the lower right corner of the fuse box (looking at your picture).

The 24 also comes with GM style connectors and lots of other thing that you would probably never need on a Datsun. At $400 for that kit, I think I'll stick with the 18 circuit ($270).

Yes, it is a 12 circuit kit.  Yes, it does come with Gubment Motors style connectors, most of which I toss.  There is one horn relay attached to the box, and the two flasher units of course, along with a whole bunch of unused fuse locations... probably about 12 of them, now that I think about it.

• 1 month later...

The wiring has been a bit of an asskicker, to be honest. Completely rewiring a car is one of those things that sounds awesome... until you do it.  :rofl:

Also we had to take a break on this for a week or two to yank the engine out of a 1200 Tim is selling on. If we make better progress next week I'll post up a few oics.  :thumbup:

The wiring has been a bit of an asskicker, to be honest. Completely rewiring a car is one of those things that sounds awesome... until you do it.  :rofl:

I totally understand,literally: A "Can Of Worms"...

Also we had to take a break on this for a week or two to yank the engine out of a 1200 Tim is selling on. If we make better progress next week I'll post up a few oics.  :thumbup:

Meh, it really isn't all that bad.  Yesterday I had to run one more wire to the rear and re-rewire the taillights.  Turns out the GM turn signal switch (which I'm NOT using) is apparently where the brake lights and turn signals are combined and/or divided, depending on how Juan looks at it.  The Hot Rod Wires kit I installed in the Seven either did it differently or I actually read those instructions before starting.  Whaddayagonnado?

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Ok, the car is at the new shop now... of course it will still be a couple months before we are ready to work again, but it IS there!  Sorry, no oics... unless Datsunfreak took some when I wasn't looking.

I'm still looking at it through the opposite of "rose colored glasses."  I'm sure it will grow on me though... much like the fungal infections and parasites we're going to succumb to at this place.  Wait, did I say that last part out loud?

• 3 weeks later...

We came to a decision today.  There is a car show at my work on September 27th and I'd really like to enter this beast.  We don't have enough time to finish the move and the car so we're postponing the move.  So, I'm going to pay another month's rent on the old shop so we can a) get back to work on this project, and 2) move in October when it isn't... August... in Texas.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Starting getting the transmission ready to install today. We are using a T-5 transmission from an '89 Mustang GT, which as you may know uses a mechanically operated clutch. That simply will not do. 

Tim ordered up this cool hydraulic throwout bearing conversion kit. It's a very nice bit of kit.  :thumbup:

Installed:

normal_photo_28229.JPG

It comes with a new front bearing plate as you may be able to see from the pic (old plate in the background). The new plate has a slightly smaller diameter sleeve on it to better suit the hydraulic throwout bearing collar. Simply a matter of removing one, swapping the bearing race from the old to the new, and bolting the new one back onto the transmission. As you can see one of the bolts gets replaced with a guide pin to keep the bearing collar properly oriented during use.

Next week we will drill holes in the top of the bellhousing to feed the hydraulic hoses through, then we should be able to bolt it together and put the engine/trans into the car for good.  :thumbup:

• Like 2