My friend Tim's '77 hatchback

datsunfreak

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course, with the ice storm, only one third of the bits I ordered from Summit have arrived.  I think I will be able to use what I got to see about starting the design of the zorst downtubes off of the manifolds.  We'll see.

Well, this is what I sort of helped with, so Tim can fill you in on the rest...   :rofl:

Still had no firm method for the rear trans mount, so since some of Tim's Summit parts were a no show we got on that...

After welding up the new trans crossmember...

normal_20131214_115326.jpg

And some paint...

normal_20131214_124934.jpg

Inside two holes bolt up to the stock 5.0 Mustang rubber trans mount. Outside holes bolt up to the B210's frame rails. Works a treat!  :thumbup:

Decided then to take a look at solving the oil filter clearance issue. In the parts stash Tim had a remote filter set-up, so we gave it a bash. The bit that screws onto the block went straight on. This end is a little trickier. We'll have to modify the braided stainless hoses slightly (different ends/angles), but that's cool.   B)

normal_20131214_131510.jpg

Decided to get a pic of the car's first wheelstand...   :rofl:

normal_20131214_095734.jpg

Tim did some other exhaust-related cyphering and figgering, but I'll leave that story to him...  B)

• Like 2

Yeah, so as John said, I got a few thoughts worked out on the zorst... but just a few.  If Juan were to look closely at the "wheelstand" picture, he would see a section of 2.5" mandrel bend material on top of the strut tower.  Once that is flanged to seal on the manifold, and the damned flange thingies come in, it will point the zorst in a slightly better angle... AKA "Down."  I will then route the pipes back and under the cross member using some DLR brand oval exhaust tubing... AKA "Some 2.5 inch pipe smooshed in the hydraulic press."  Before you ask: "No, we cannot go over the crossmember because of the starter and steering gubbins."  The tranny crossmember has plenty of clearance for the zorst to go twixt it and the floor as well.  We checked while building it.  So... yeah, that's about it.

That pic reminds me of that robot from those movies back in the 80s. Johnny 5 ftw :P

Edit: Why am I bringing up a movie that came out 2 years before I was born :confused:

Whipper snapper!  I remember talking like the Indian guy for a week after seeing that movie AT THE THEATER!  My favorite quote of his, "I am thinking she is maybe a virgin... or at least used to be!"

• Like 2

Yeah, so as John said, I got a few thoughts worked out on the zorst... but just a few.  If Juan were to look closely at the "wheelstand" picture, he would see a section of 2.5" mandrel bend material on top of the strut tower.  Once that is flanged to seal on the manifold, and the damned flange thingies come in, it will point the zorst in a slightly better angle... AKA "Down."  I will then route the pipes back and under the cross member using some DLR brand oval exhaust tubing... AKA "Some 2.5 inch pipe smooshed in the hydraulic press."  Before you ask: "No, we cannot go over the crossmember because of the starter and steering gubbins."  The tranny crossmember has plenty of clearance for the zorst to go twixt it and the floor as well.  We checked while building it.  So... yeah, that's about it.

Are you going to snake the zorst into a Y out the back for a sneaky fart can look, or do a traditional dual setup with an H or X pipe?  :confused:

Well, I have this bitchin' two-in/two-out muffler I bought a while ago that I was thinking of using but I'm not sure at this point.  We held it up under the car after we removed the stock fuel tank and I think I remember liking the way it fit.  I wanted it centered with two 3" dumps coming off the muff, but it fit better off to the side.  We'll see.  Gotta get the gasses out frumunda the hood first!

• Like 1

Ugh!  Friggin' Christmas and family and crap!  My brother is coming to town Saturday morning so I won't be able to go to the shop to play with Lil' Wiggly... wait, that sounds bad.  Lil' Wiggly is the CAR we're discussing on this thread!  Ok, with all credibility lost now, I guess I will just leave it at that.

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, I got to work on the zorst today.  I made a downpipe for the driver's side and it looked, at first, like I could go over the cross member.  Alas, the steering arm hits the pipe before full lock to the... uh, right?  Sure, we'll go with that.  So, it looks like we're back to going UNDER the cross member.  I'll try squashing some pipe next week and see what's what.  John may have some pictures... and he may not.  We'll see.