My friend Tim's '77 hatchback

datsunfreak

You know, if you did... We could probably actually start it up... Just sayin'...    B)

I'll need to talk to my landlord.  It's either buy oil and filter or pay shop rent this week.

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bought some Mobil 1 and a new filter, so that's sorted...   :thumbup:

Fan installed and radiator all hooked up...

normal_20140712_101042.jpg

normal_20140712_101119.jpg

normal_20140712_141251.jpg

Running the wires for the fan...

normal_20140712_101050.jpg

Air intake done...

normal_20140712_140846.jpg

As we left it...

normal_20140712_140834.jpg

Everything under the hood is pretty much done. It's full of oil, full of water, and everything is hooked up. Unfortunately I sort of pressured Tim into seeing if it would crank. Battery was a bit too flat to spin it over (and we had no gas anyway). Downside is, we found out a couple of electrical things aren't working correctly. 

The fan, headlights, and fuel pump worked, so we can run it (after charging the battery). But there was a bit of feedback causing the hazards to act up and the gauges to go kinda wonky. I think it'll be something simple, and we'll figure it out. 

Next time we go down we will put some gas in it, unhook the hazards, and see if it will fire up.   :thumbup:

• Like 6

That's what we need to cover the welds on the rad support!  I might work on that next weekend... if the car doesn't have an "accidental" electrical fire.  "I don't know what happened.  It just rolled itself outside and burst into flames!"  Sorry, I'm a bit annoyed with the thing right now.

• 2 weeks later...

Went to the shop yesterday and rewired the distributor HT leads correctly.  In the pictures Juan might notice it is wired clockwise... Fjord Windsor dizzies rotate anti-clockwise.  John told me that.  I wrote it down when I wrote down the firing order.  Then I completely ignored it and wired the thing bass-ackwards.  

• Like 2

Went to the shop yesterday and rewired the distributor HT leads correctly.  In the pictures Juan might notice it is wired clockwise... Fjord Windsor dizzies rotate anti-clockwise.  John told me that.  I wrote it down when I wrote down the firing order.  Then I completely ignored it and wired the thing bass-ackwards.  

Where is a reverse rotation marine camshaft when you need one? :rofl:

Looking at ways to cover up the unsightly holes where the hood latch went, so we cut some carbon fiber sheet to cover the whole latch area. Just for grins, we decided to use a stencil Tim had to paint something on it...    ^_^

20140726_120244.jpg

Got the plugs rewired in the correct order now...

20140726_120258.jpg

Tried to crank it up and see if it would run, but there's something amiss there. Won't spin over, just clicks. Even with a battery charger on, so...

Either this battery is toast (it's old, and has sat around a LOT), or the compact starter we bought isn't meshing correctly with the flywheel, or it's a piece of junk...

Hoping it's the battery...    :blush:

• Like 3

Tim's mad at it, so he spent the day working on his 7...    ^_^

Fan died, so time for a new one...

20140802_102147.jpg

Had a bit of trouble with a high speed stumble, and on the advice of ZTherapy we dialed the fuel pressure down a bit to see if that helps. Hopefully Tim will chime in a bit later and let us know if it did...

• Like 3

Tim's mad at it, so he spent the day working on his 7...    ^_^

Fan died, so time for a new one...

20140802_102147.jpg

Had a bit of trouble with a high speed stumble, and on the advice of ZTherapy we dialed the fuel pressure down a bit to see if that helps. Hopefully Tim will chime in a bit later and let us know if it did...

That Seven is too cool. I've always wanted one.

Dialling down the fuel pressure seemed to really do the trick.  The car pulls strong all the way to 6k, which it hasn't done with this engine/carb setup... well, ever.  It feels nice and torquey and is just a damned hoot and a half to drive.  I spent a couple hours driving... no, HOONING home after lunch this afternoon.  It was so awesome I totally forgot about the crippling muscle spasms in my back and I almost couldn't get out of the car when I got home.  I'm all sunburnt, stiff, and sore tonight.  

Totally.  Worth.  It.

• Like 5

Dialling down the fuel pressure seemed to really do the trick.  The car pulls strong all the way to 6k, which it hasn't done with this engine/carb setup... well, ever.  It feels nice and torquey and is just a damned hoot and a half to drive.  I spent a couple hours driving... no, HOONING home after lunch this afternoon.  It was so awesome I totally forgot about the crippling muscle spasms in my back and I almost couldn't get out of the car when I got home.  I'm all sunburnt, stiff, and sore tonight.  

Totally.  Worth.  It.

Cool story. 

Do you have more pics of the 7 posted some where?

Lots of build pics here...

http://www.510garage.com/photos/thumbnails.php?album=122

Some autocross pics here...

http://www.510garage.com/photos/thumbnails.php?album=244&page=2

And Tim's trip to the Tail of the Dragon 7s festival...

http://www.510garage.com/photos/thumbnails.php?album=273

• Like 3

Lots of build pics here...

http://www.510garage.com/photos/thumbnails.php?album=122

Some autocross pics here...

http://www.510garage.com/photos/thumbnails.php?album=244&page=2

And Tim's trip to the Tail of the Dragon 7s festival...

http://www.510garage.com/photos/thumbnails.php?album=273

Damn, now you are making me reconsider that thing we were discussing just a moment ago.

Aw dude, I just saw your 7 on the CL, yer selling it?

And THAT would be the thing John and I were discussing... that I was reconsidering, sort of thing.  Since I don't really expect anyone to pay what I need to get for it, it is kind of an exercise in futility.  But I'd still like to know how the market feels about the thing.

And how many times CAN I say "thing" in one post?

And THAT would be the thing John and I were discussing... that I was reconsidering, sort of thing.  Since I don't really expect anyone to pay what I need to get for it, it is kind of an exercise in futility.  But I'd still like to know how the market feels about the thing.

And how many times CAN I say "thing" in one post?

At least 5 more times before someone calls shenanigans but hey, who's counting?

In an effort to measure for a driveshaft and look at speedo pinion options, we jacked the B-210 up onto jackstands today.  Then we goofed off looking at other shit and did NO work on the car.  We did look at an F-350 dually and moved one of John's cars inside so it wasn't a total... ok, it WAS a total loss of a day.  I'm not fooling anyone.

• Like 2

Got the harness taken out of the engine bay to try and sort out a few wiring issues with the turn signals, so not sure how well that's gonna go...   :blush:

Found out the problem with trying to crank it. Somehow the nose of the starter drive is hitting the flywheel when it shoots out. So it won't actually spin it over, it just goes bang bang bang.

Looking into it, it looks like the starter is about 1/4" too close to the crank centerline. It needs to be spaced out, but we can't do that with this starter...   :blush:

Since it's a custom "performance" starter I'm having doubts about whether it was built right. So, we're going to see if we can find either a V8 Explorer (what the engine is from) starter or a Fox-body Mustang (what the trans is from) starter and see what that does... 

• Like 1