My friend Tim's '77 hatchback

datsunfreak

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Aim the mufflers out of the headlight housing like a bawse!

I love this build. You guys do some amazing work out there. I thought it would be awesome to schedule a visit when my company sends me to the corporate office, but you guys are so far from Katy... Why is Texas so big!

That's only a 500 mile round trip. I do a 440 mile round trip every other Friday to check on my 87 year old Mom. In Texas, less than a 10 hour round trip is just going to the end of the block.

• Like 2

Tim making some new battery cables since the battery is now in the back seat floor...

normal_20140621_090306.jpg

Of course I insisted he put some shrink wrap on the end of the cable, so that led us down an hour long rabbit hole of shrink-wrapping all the wiring connections under the hood...   :rofl:

Got the manifolds off, scuffed up and painted. Why white? Because racecar...    B)

normal_20140621_101739.jpg

And yes, it's 1200F high temp paint.    :thumbup:

• Like 3

We got the zorst manifolds back on today.  Many thanks to John for taking the wrenches away from me before something got broken.  I also installed the thermostat, housing, bypass hose, and fingered out how to deal with the other hose on the water pump.  We decided on new oil and air filter locations and made me a list of stuff to buy.  I stopped off at Vato Zone and got the heater and fuel hose I need as well as the plug for the alternator.  If I'm not careful, I'm going to have all the parts needed to fire this thing up soon!

• Like 2

Tim making some new battery cables since the battery is now in the back seat floor...

normal_20140621_090306.jpg

Of course I insisted he put some shrink wrap on the end of the cable, so that led us down an hour long rabbit hole of shrink-wrapping all the wiring connections under the hood...   :rofl:

Got the manifolds off, scuffed up and painted. Why white? Because racecar...    B)

normal_20140621_101739.jpg

And yes, it's 1200F high temp paint.    :thumbup:

It would be really neat to do a little extrude hone on the zorst manifolds. I hear that they actually flow pretty well with those GT40P heads, much better than the stainless, choked to death version used on some Exploders/Mountaineers.  B)

It would be really neat to do a little extrude hone on the zorst manifolds. I hear that they actually flow pretty well with those GT40P heads

We discussed this today. If Tim keeps the car long term (50/50 shot at best), we will eventually just build custom headers for it. 

Just placed another order with Summit.  They should be sending my way a set of Accel plug wires (on sale), three electric fan mounting kits (one for this car, one for John's car and one for the Chickenhawk [and to get over the free shipping threshold]), two fuel cell cap O-rings (onna counta the ones we have are SHOT!), a 4" od steel U-bend (to move the air filter to our new location), and a 4" silly-cone coupling hose (to hook the U-bend to the carb cap thingy).  Everything but the silly-cone coupler should ship tomorrow and that should be sent on the 14th.  It is remotely possible that there could be "fireworks" at our shop on the 4th of July... well, the 5th actually, but close enough.

• Like 3

We got the zorst manifolds back on today.  Many thanks to John for taking the wrenches away from me before something got broken.  I also installed the thermostat, housing, bypass hose, and fingered out how to deal with the other hose on the water pump.  We decided on new oil and air filter locations and made me a list of stuff to buy.  I stopped off at Vato Zone and got the heater and fuel hose I need as well as the plug for the alternator.  If I'm not careful, I'm going to have all the parts needed to fire this thing up soon!

A heater in Texas, You wimp! :rofl:

A heater in Texas, You wimp! :rofl:

Don't get it twisted. There's no heater.   :rofl:

There are two outlets on the water pump. One goes to the thermostat bypass (necessary) and the other goes to the heater (unnecessary). But to maintain proper water flow through the block we thought it best to not just cap off the heater port on the water pump and instead run it to the heater port on the intake. Essentially just a heater bypass.  :thumbup:

• Like 1

Methinks you are forgetting a few things. Nothing major, but...

New alt plug in, and wired up (after the pic was snapped)...

20140704_094839.jpg

Heater bypassed installed...

20140704_102256.jpg

Tim got a nice 4" steel 90 bend for the intake and we set about cutting it up...

20140704_090331.jpg

Made a nice support bracket for the tube, and one for the tip of the air filter, then painted it up. Silicon coupler should be here in a week or two so we can finish that up...

20140704_122500.jpg

You may also notice we finally got the new rubber fuel line installed so now the fuel system is "done"...    :thumbup:

• Like 2

And to think how easy it would be to install twin turbos on that sucker...

The exhaust routing is already crowded as it is. I don't think turbos are going to make that better.   :rofl:

You are going to video the first fire up, right? :thumbup:

Sure, why not. If it goes well.

If not, I'll video the second one and just tell you it's the first one, so...   ^_^

• Like 3

Made a nice support bracket for the tube, and one for the tip of the air filter, then painted it up. Silicon coupler should be here in a week or two so we can finish that up...

20140704_122500.jpg

You may also notice we finally got the new rubber fuel line installed so now the fuel system is "done"...    :thumbup:

Very nice use of very limited space.

I actually thought the same thing after posting it. If you can't fit a full lunch box you could get one of those vintage metal pencil boxes and fit a few wrenches in it. Like the all important 8-14mms, a battery terminal cleaner, and one of those neat telescopic mirrors for upskirts when the ladies check out all that muscle under the hood. :devil:

4db696d199bb5_hellokittyastuccio2.jpg

• Like 2

Woo to the power of Hoo!  The silly cone coupler to finish out the cold air intake arrived today!  I'm planning on installing the radiator on Saturday.  If I make it to the store, I'll buy oil and filter for it... but don't hold your breath.

• Like 2