My friend Tim's '77 hatchback

datsunfreak

Got the harness taken out of the engine bay to try and sort out a few wiring issues with the turn signals, so not sure how well that's gonna go...   :blush:

Found out the problem with trying to crank it. Somehow the nose of the starter drive is hitting the flywheel when it shoots out. So it won't actually spin it over, it just goes bang bang bang.

Looking into it, it looks like the starter is about 1/4" too close to the crank centerline. It needs to be spaced out, but we can't do that with this starter...   :blush:

Since it's a custom "performance" starter I'm having doubts about whether it was built right. So, we're going to see if we can find either a V8 Explorer (what the engine is from) starter or a Fox-body Mustang (what the trans is from) starter and see what that does... 

Are you using the 164 tooth, or the 157 tooth flywheel? The Fox Mustang used a 157 tooth flywheel and the starter for it has a longer snout than the 164 tooth manual flywheel starter, 

This link might "possibly" explain what is happening. 

http://www.bcbroncos.com/ford%20starters.pdf

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This link might "possibly" explain what is happening. 

http://www.bcbroncos.com/ford%20starters.pdf

Based on this, I think we have the wrong starter. So we either need to change the starter or the flywheel. Just need to find out which starter to get...

I'm hoping since we're using a Mustang clutch, flywheel, and trans, that the Mustang starter will fit...

• Like 2

Tried taking the nose off the starter to see what's up. As you can see, to get the center hole over where it needs to be, the bottom mounting hole doesn't line up...    :blush:

20140816_091808.jpg

Don't forget to use the Mustang fox starter index plate(block plate)for a MANUAL transmission. It is that thin plate sandwiched right behind the flywheel on the engine side over the dowel pins, and held in place by the bellhousing. It locates the starter correctly. I believe the interchange for the plate is 1979-95 on the 5.0's, including the world class t-5. I used this with a '92 Lincoln MKVII PMGR factory mini starter and it worked like a charm.

If you don't have an index plate, the correct part number/stamping number is D9ZE-6A 373 - BA

It is made of thin aluminum and easily damaged.

Don't forget to use the Mustang fox starter index plate(block plate)for a MANUAL transmission. It is that thin plate sandwiched right behind the flywheel on the engine side over the dowel pins, and held in place by the bellhousing. It locates the starter correctly.

Yeah, picking one up this week. How the hell we left that out is beyond me. Going to attempt to install it without removing the trans from the car. 

used this with a '92 Lincoln MKVII PMGR factory mini starter and it worked like a charm.

Cool info. Thanks!  :thumbup:

• Like 1

At least you're not in too deep.  :poke:

I'm the problem. A really cheap VG30/5spd D21 truck presented itself to me. And I told him about it. :rofl:

It needs headwork. This 5.0 engine would go into the truck a lot easier and make a fun tow rig for the shop. Then the VG30 from the truck could be rebuilt and used in the B210, which would be much easier to work on...

I'm the problem. A really cheap VG30/5spd D21 truck presented itself to me. And I told him about it. :rofl:

It needs headwork. This 5.0 engine would go into the truck a lot easier and make a fun tow rig for the shop. Then the VG30 from the truck could be rebuilt and used in the B210, which would be much easier to work on...

That late Explorer 5.0 had a really torquey stock cam, and would surprise you in the truck. If you still are going to follow through with the B210 build using the 5.0, I would suggest the 85-95 HO cam as it has a bit more duration & lift making it more suited to a lighter car, putting power more in the midrange.

I know a guy named Mike Guido who ran a VG30 in an early Austin Mini, and had great luck with it in autocross. It was N/A carburated converted from injection with lots of compression. Mike is a professional clown that works with kids to sway them away from use of tobacco.

The VG30 in the car, and 5.0 in the truck sounds like a win/win.

Well, "your" manifold is the same as mine, minus the adapter (which you know we can make). And you can have the dizzy. 

Looks like you're all out of excuses.   :rofl:

Oh... Right.  So about that... um, your FACE is out of excuses.

VG30 + B210 was my dream setup when I got my 4dr. That combo will have no lack of awesomeness and would be just as scary as the 5.0 imo. The only part that is disappointing is it means this car will sit around for longer, which gives Tim more time to talk himself out of it :crying:

VG30 + B210 was my dream setup when I got my 4dr. That combo will have no lack of awesomeness and would be just as scary as the 5.0 imo. The only part that is disappointing is it means this car will sit around for longer, which gives Tim more time to talk himself out of it :crying:

Not if John has anything to say about it. XD

• Like 1

I just think Hello Kitty valve covers on the VG are required.

I love this idea! :P

If you guys do go the VG route I for one am really looking forward to it. Specificly how you guys tackle mounting the beast. I contacted the guy over at VG30.com because I have a VG33 sitting around and he said the oil pan he builds for these is pretty pricey. As far as I know the pan is the same design for the VG30 and VG33, but he sends a modified pickup tube for the VG33 so that you don't have to use the VG30 oil pump.

And that was all way off topic... I'll just be glad to see the process because I might get froggy and try to shoehorn my own into the 4dr :P

And that was all way off topic... I'll just be glad to see the process because I might get froggy and try to shoehorn my own into the 4dr :P

Not off topic at all!  Hmm, it looks like "Project Enable Tim to Give Up on the V8," or PETGUV, is in full swing!

• Like 1

If you guys do go the VG route I for one am really looking forward to it. Specificly how you guys tackle mounting the beast. I contacted the guy over at VG30.com

FYI, the 510 crossmember will work in a B210 very easily. So you can just order custom mounts from Dave at VG30.com to get it in there.  :thumbup: