My friend Tim's '77 hatchback

datsunfreak

Will the 510 crossmember work with the stock oil pan? That was the part I was sketchy about. The oil pan Dave sells looks awesome, but it's on up there in price for what I'm willing to spend on my car at the moment. Either way Tim's car will be bad ass.

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Will the 510 crossmember work with the stock oil pan? That was the part I was sketchy about. 

It will not. But you could always flip it and run a front sump pan? That's what I'm doing on mine, and most likely what we will do on Tim's if it gets a VG30. 

You can buy a brand new Quest front sump pan for around $50, then you just need the pickup tube and oil pump from a front sump car.

If you have a VG33E from a Frontier/Pathfinder, I've been told it should already have the correct oil pump. I'll let you know in a few weeks when I put my Quest pan on my Pathfinder engine.   :rofl:

I didn't research much farther on the subject once I got the prices from Dave. I had mentioned swapping the oil pump to the VG30 pump to fit a front sump pan and Dave said that you should never do that. That is how some people complete the swap, but the VG30 pump is not adequate for the VG33 according to Dave. He does make a special pick up tube to fit his oil pans and keep the VG33 oil pump so I guess technically you could use the quest pan and make a custom pick up tube to fit it.

My VG is a VG33ER from a 2003 Frontier. Most likely it will sit in storage till we find something to put it in.

He does make a special pick up tube to fit his oil pans and keep the VG33 oil pump so I guess technically you could use the quest pan and make a custom pick up tube to fit it.

I am planning to use a Quest pan and pickup tube. According to the fellow who made my mounts, this combo works as is. He's on his fourth VG swap and did all of them with a front sump pan.

My engine is a VG33E from a '99 Pathfinder. I'll let you know how it goes when I put it together. But probably over here...   ^_^

Ok, before I admit to ANYTHING, I'm going to throw out an excuse or two.  All of the formula race cars I used to work on had solid motor mounts.  The Chickenhawk had solid motor mounts.  The Seven has solid motor mounts.  And all my other Datsuns have had factory style battery cables onnacounta I never relocated their batteries.  

Right, with all of that out of the way... someone "forgot" to put a ground from the engine to the chassis in Lil' Wiggly and THAT was why the starter wouldn't spin up.  Of course we didn't discover this until I dropped another $100.00 on a reman starter so I'm sitting on an extra one right now.  I'm a bit irked about that.

Oh, I forgot to mention this puts the kibosh on removal of the V8 from this car.  We're going to press on with this dumb assed idea.

Ok, before I admit to ANYTHING, I'm going to throw out an excuse or two.  All of the formula race cars I used to work on had solid motor mounts.  The Chickenhawk had solid motor mounts.  The Seven has solid motor mounts.  And all my other Datsuns have had factory style battery cables onnacounta I never relocated their batteries.  

Right, with all of that out of the way... someone "forgot" to put a ground from the engine to the chassis in Lil' Wiggly and THAT was why the starter wouldn't spin up.  Of course we didn't discover this until I dropped another $100.00 on a reman starter so I'm sitting on an extra one right now.  I'm a bit irked about that.

Hey Tim, Like they say: "Pobody is Nerfect"...

Glad to see that you are going forward with the 5.0, it will surprise a few.

we didn't discover this until I dropped another $100.00 on a reman starter so I'm sitting on an extra one right now.  I'm a bit irked about that.

I am 99% sure the first starter you bought is for the smaller flywheel, and wouldn't have worked anyway. You could always pop it on and try? 

New starter for a '93 Mustang (what our flywheel and trans came from)...

20140830_123947.jpg

New ground strap...

20140830_123929.jpg

• Like 2

I am 99% sure the first starter you bought is for the smaller flywheel, and wouldn't have worked anyway. You could always pop it on and try? 

No, THAT would really piss me off if it worked.  Lettuce put the other up on Craigslist or e-Bay and try to pawn it off on some other schmuck. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

At the beginning of August I was at my harumph-ieth high school reunion talking to my former across the street neighbor.  I have been working on buying his father's 1980 Subaru 1600 GL5 for a number of years now.  He said to me, "One of these weekends I'm just going to roll that car over to your house."  Well, last Sunday was that weekend.  This weekend I finally got it moved to the shop (with many thanks to Patrick whose Ratsun handle I have forgotten, sorry).  Why am I telling y'all this?  Because it has temporarily displaced Lil' WIggly (the V8 B-210 we're discussing in this thread) so I can get it back on the road as my "Weather Beater" for this winter. In theory, it shouldn't take too many weekends to get it going.  Gonna do the basics: Weber carb, cap, rotor, wires, plugs, fresh brakes and fluid, and maybe a rorty zorst... aw, who am I kidding?  Of course it will get a rorty zorst!  So... there you have it.  Maybe John will pop a picture or two up... because you'll all die of old age before I finger out how to do that.

• Like 4

A beater for Texas winters?  What would you guys do if you had to deal with real winter weather? :rofl:

I have absolutely NO science to back this up but... I think, due to the mild summer we had, we're in for a nasty winter.

Yea I know about your ice storms, came through one time the weekend before Christmas, 15 degrees, everything shut down shopping malls, resturants mickey d's, had been driving nonstop for 8 hours, andhad to drive another 2 hours to find someplace open so I could eat. If the northern states did that, nothing would ever get done in this country. Sorry, but when it comes to weather, you Texans are a bunch of pussies! :rofl:

• Like 1