My friend Tim's '77 hatchback

datsunfreak

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popped by the local Pep Boys since they will let me rifle through their radiator hose inventory looking for something we can make fit. While we were there we saw this cool little bauble and bought it...

Throttle cable stay and stainless throttle cable...   :thumbup:

normal_20140426_125900.jpg

We also found a radiator hose that worked for our cause, pics of that and the radiator install next week.   :thumbup:

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Got almost all the underhood wiring done today. Wires routed and terminated to the oil pressure sender and water temp sender, need one more wire to the alternator and that should be it. Headlight wiring done as well.   :thumbup:

normal_20140524_102712.jpg

Noticed the radiator support brace was getting kind of rusty, so after I took the pic we removed it and painted it satin black and put it back in. Hopefully more progress to come next week...    :thumbup:

• Like 2

Got almost all the underhood wiring done today. Wires routed and terminated to the oil pressure sender and water temp sender, need one more wire to the alternator and that should be it. Headlight wiring done as well.   :thumbup:

normal_20140524_102712.jpg

Noticed the radiator support brace was getting kind of rusty, so after I took the pic we removed it and painted it satin black and put it back in. Hopefully more progress to come next week...    :thumbup:

Was the zorst ever completed? B)

And knowing Tim, he's going to want the first fire to be with no mufflers.  B)

Yes, but not for the "Hillbilly" reason he's implying.  It is for the "Lazy Ass" reason that I'd rather pay someone to finish the system.

I spent a couple hours Sunday finishing up the taping of the wiring harness.  We otter be able to reinstall the dash Saturday.  I was going to take a picture... but didn't.

Did you get the lower hose straightened out? I frequently bend exhaust pipe for lower hoses on stationary engines used for irrigation, then use short pirces of stick hose of appropriate size on each end. Guys switch from a cooling coil that runs well water through a coil inside a pipe filled with antifreeze that has pipes hooked to the motor. The reason for the pipe lower hose is that 70's truck radiatorsare cheap, but the lower hose is on the wrong side for a chevy. The pipe would handle the heat from the downpipe.

He added a long aluminum elbow to the lower pipe on the radiator. This now makes the lower radiator hose just a straight 4-5" piece.  :cool:

So now the aluminum pipe is what passes near the exhaust downpipe. I think we're still undecided whether we will heat wrap it or not?

I'll post some pics of the new setup this weekend.  :thumbup:

I'll post some pics of the new setup this weekend.  :thumbup:

Because Tim apparently doesn't know how to!

I are just barely compooter literate... AND DAMNED PROUD OF IT, BY CRACKY!

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

New lower radiator hose...

normal_20140614_110616.jpg

View of the radiator lower pipe mod and the clearance from downpipe...

20140614_110655.jpg

Choke cable shortened and installed...

normal_20140614_124732.jpg

Overall view of current progress. Note the crossbar is now black instead of rust colored...   :rofl:

normal_20140614_124744.jpg

Finally got the dash back in and everything plugged up...   :thumbup:

normal_20140614_120930.jpg

• Like 4

Looks beautiful.  Seems to be a little to the right [the engine], though.  Could just be my eyes.  WEAR A HELMET!  lmfao.  jk, enjoy!

It probably sits to the right a little to clear the steering box. The Mustang II V8 sat about 1 1/2"-2" to the right for exhaust manifold to steering box clearance.

It's perfectly centered. It's probably just me standing slightly off-center while taking the photo causing some parallax.  :thumbup:

LOL, THAT makes more sense than making the mistake of not lining up the engine mounts…MY BAD, lol.  Sweet build!

You may notice the exhaust manifolds on this car are installed backwards.   ;)

Aim the mufflers out of the headlight housing like a bawse!

I love this build. You guys do some amazing work out there. I thought it would be awesome to schedule a visit when my company sends me to the corporate office, but you guys are so far from Katy... Why is Texas so big!