My friend Tim's '77 hatchback

datsunfreak

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

:blink: I'm running 195s up front and 205s in the rear... I think you guys may be over-compensating :P

Oh, and if you still have that fishplate grill from the blue coupe, send it to GA for me. I want is so bad! lol kthxbye :hug:

Oh, and if you still have that fishplate grill from the blue coupe, send it to GA for me. I want is so bad! lol kthxbye :hug:

Don't know what "fish plate" means, but no.   :rofl:

Went with the new owner. He's out your way, though. Look him up. I think he took my grill off and put on a '77-78 coupe grill. 

lol, fish plate is the grill that looks like it has gills on the sides near the lights. Thats what it was referred to the first time I saw it so thats what stuck with me :P

Just wondering, will this B210 sport no bumpers are are you guys going to go the JDM route? Heck, with y'alls skill, something custom may even work.

dimlight65, on 25 Sept 2013 - 12:32 PM, said:

Bought a pair of Explorer/Mountaineer zorst mani .... we are planning to use those units backwards for clearance reasons.

When we swapped a 302 into a Pinto that's what we did. Used fairlane exhaust manifolds pointing forward, it worked a treat.

When we swapped a 302 into a Pinto that's what we did. Used fairlane exhaust manifolds pointing forward, it worked a treat.

Yes, those tiny manifolds are pretty light, and tight to save space-BUT pretty restrictive. The early Hy-po K-code 289 cast exhaust with the 2 1/2" outlet are less restrictive. The early 351/W are similiar, cheaper, but might have some smog crap on them. Nice thing about the cast iron manifold is that they can be easily trued up on a mill, and fitted with no gasket. They keep the engine compartment cooler, and are a savings over a ceramic coated tubular header.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Got the engine brackets straightened, braces welded on to them, and re-installed.

normal_20131130_115904.jpg

Radiator test fit again...

normal_20131130_131612.jpg

Clearances are a little better...

normal_20131130_131624.jpg

Lower hose shouldn't be too bad...

normal_20131130_131632.jpg

I believe we are planing to get a 90 degree neck welded onto the top radiator outlet so we can fit a hose to it without resorting to moving the alternator.   :thumbup:

As you can see from these pictures... oh wait.  I forgot to take pictures.  Anyhoo, today I fabbed the aluminium bits to make the upper radiator hose work.  Now I just need to find someone to zook them together and onto my radiator.  I also rebuilt the upper radiator core support we cut out to make inserting this huge donk possible.  Then I built my dipstick tube and made sure it clears both the number three (Or is it seven?  This is my first V8.) spark plug and the zorst manifold.  I believe it will work.  I'll try to take pictures when I go back later in the week.

Got the front brake pads replaced, should get the rears in next week. 

Decided to make some brake line progress...

Tim picked up a hydraulic parking/cutting brake

crap_008~3.JPG

As you can see, Tim modified the bracket a bit to mount an adjustable proportioning valve on the side.Now you can dial in the rear bias on the fly.  :thumbup:

normal_crap_011~2.JPG

All bolted in and plumbed. Not the prettiest thing, but it works.   :thumbup:

crap_009~2.JPG

Hope to get the rear pads in and the brakes bled next week.  :thumbup:

that rear brake cylinder is wicked. that would be a nightmare if it ever ever leaked.

I'll try to take pictures when I go back later in the week.

Yeah, that didn't happen.  I do think I have the radiator installation finalized though.  We'll see if it passes John's approval tomorrow.  Perhaps HE will post a picture or two of my progress.

And pass it does!   :thumbup:

Radiator test...

normal_20131205_092221.jpg

New upper neck looks good...

normal_20131205_091358.jpg

Custom cap hole...   B)

normal_20131205_092210.jpg

Made a stabilizing brace for the top panel...

normal_20131205_164018.jpg

And test fit the grill...

normal_20131205_132920.jpg

Grill fits good, but not so sure the turn signals will. May have to get crafty there...

• Like 3