• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

16 minutes ago, mrbigtanker said:

Insulates what to be exact ?

Noise, cold, heat, all of the above.  Not sure if Mike is referring to the original fiberboard or the vinyl.  Let's see them with the vinyl wrap (or did you do leather?).

• Like 1

Vinyl covered fiberboard though they can get wet or the vinyl loosen and sag. I've used the old to cut new out of very thin plywood. Almost veneer or paneling. Then cover with vinyl. Upholstery is nice, leather very organic, if color matched to seats/interior. Metal? kind of unpadded, unfriendly to look at or feel. It's a preference, looks good on someone else's vehicle, just not mine.

Not That There'S Anything Wrong With That Seinfeld GIF by myLAB Box - Find  & Share on GIPHY

I think aluminum with riveted on magnets would be neat. Wouldn't have to mess with those plastic snaps that are always breaking. A sheet of sound deadener goes on the outside prior to the covering. No moisture to worry about warping the panels. 

• Like 1

All of the interior panels in my '40 Ford are aluminum.  The material that goes on them is always foam backed, or the panel is foam covered first.  There is no problem with droning, noise, etc.  Using professional upholstery glue to apply the material to the panel works great.  I think the main reason it's not used more is people always want cheap..

A lot of people recommend using ABS because it is easily molded.  BUT, it's hot here, and that stuff can warp if the car gets hot enough.

Very timely post as I'm redoing an old set of seats.  Here's the original fiberboard backing, and the replacement backing just put on yesterday..

backing.JPG.653b3b909c42f70ebe7d25cfb86537f9.JPG

alback.JPG.0a2fd5a90190dd0648ba7bc2ddf56df4.JPG

Edited by Duncan
  • Like 5
On 7/28/2023 at 5:47 AM, iceman510 said:

Noise, cold, heat, all of the above.  Not sure if Mike is referring to the original fiberboard or the vinyl.  Let's see them with the vinyl wrap (or did you do leather?).

Its all Leather. I had 3 hides brought in from a company called Relicate Leather. And most people have no clue what there talking about like Mike. Hot Rodders in all the top builds use aluminum. If you look at those panels all the clips have a retainer as well so to not pop out. Also the speaker pods are bolted to the truck and there is center clips as well so to not rattle like a tin can. This is not your average shit box Datsun. I think I have an idea of what I/we are doing.

Edited by mrbigtanker
  • Like 2
11 hours ago, Duncan said:

All of the interior panels in my '40 Ford are aluminum.  The material that goes on them is always foam backed, or the panel is foam covered first.  There is no problem with droning, noise, etc.  Using professional upholstery glue to apply the material to the panel works great.  I think the main reason it's not used more is people always want cheap..

A lot of people recommend using ABS because it is easily molded.  BUT, it's hot here, and that stuff can warp if the car gets hot enough.

Very timely post as I'm redoing an old set of seats.  Here's the original fiberboard backing, and the replacement backing just put on yesterday..

backing.JPG.653b3b909c42f70ebe7d25cfb86537f9.JPG

alback.JPG.0a2fd5a90190dd0648ba7bc2ddf56df4.JPG

Its always the peanut gallery with the shit box cars that have something to say. Hows that bad boy coming along. 

• Like 1
13 hours ago, mainer311 said:

I think aluminum with riveted on magnets would be neat. Wouldn't have to mess with those plastic snaps that are always breaking. A sheet of sound deadener goes on the outside prior to the covering. No moisture to worry about warping the panels. 

No plastic here all metal, for that very reason.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, mrbigtanker said:

Hows that bad boy coming along. 

A little slower than I like, because I have to figure out shit as I go. 

Your truck is beautiful.  It's almost a shame to put the bed on it and cover up all the details of the frame and rear suspension. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Duncan said:

A little slower than I like, because I have to figure out shit as I go. 

Your truck is beautiful.  It's almost a shame to put the bed on it and cover up all the details of the frame and rear suspension. 

I hear you Mark, I want this truck done already as well, its been way to long for me. But there is a light at the end of the tunnel, and it looks to be not a train.lol 

• Like 2
On 7/28/2023 at 6:07 AM, datzenmike said:

Vinyl covered fiberboard though they can get wet or the vinyl loosen and sag. I've used the old to cut new out of very thin plywood. Almost veneer or paneling. Then cover with vinyl. Upholstery is nice, leather very organic, if color matched to seats/interior. Metal? kind of unpadded, unfriendly to look at or feel. It's a preference, looks good on someone else's vehicle, just not mine.

Not That There'S Anything Wrong With That Seinfeld GIF by myLAB Box - Find  & Share on GIPHY

Read your statement again, the panels are covered you are not looking at metal, and what feel are you taking about ??? What again are you building so I can start taking notes from you ??

• Like 1

Why the hate Ray? I expressed a preference is all. Just as you expressed a preference for aluminum. By definition a preference can't be called wrong. As always, love the work.

13 hours ago, mrbigtanker said:

Its all Leather. I had 3 hides brought in from a company called Relicate Leather. And most people have no clue what there talking about like Mike. Hot Rodders in all the top builds use aluminum. If you look at those panels all the clips have a retainer as well so to not pop out. Also the speaker pods are bolted to the truck and there is center clips as well so to not rattle like a tin can. This is not your average shit box Datsun. I think I have an idea of what I/we are doing.

On 7/28/2023 at 6:07 AM, datzenmike said:

On 7/28/2023 at 8:16 AM, Duncan said:

That has been the experience of my upholstery guy. We talked about using thicker ABS, like 1/8", but he said the ABS he used in the past warped like crazy when it was hot, buckling in places and popping the panel off the door.

14 hours ago, mrbigtanker said:

What are those clips called Ray? I did a quick google search and came up empty.

Mike,

Here is an aluminum panel that is covered.  There's is 1/4" foam sewed up with the vinyl to form the pleats.  The top part of the panel is not pleated, but still foam backed.

Just curious how that looks any different from wood, abs, and/or fiber board?  Not hating either, I just fail to see how one could tell.

Wood can absord moisture, and warp or rot.  ABS can warp from heat.  Fiber board does both..

dpanel.jpg

• Like 2

At first I thought just aluminum but I see later it was covered. I've only worked with fiberboard or thin paneling. It's cheap and easier to work with is all. Aluminum may absorb/block sound as it's denser.

• Like 1

53079395757_2fa3c0fab5_4k.jpgUntitled by raymond medeiros, on Flickr

53079956501_fed74e1afb_4k.jpgUntitled by raymond medeiros, on Flickr

53079956506_42e2f83bc4_4k.jpgUntitled by raymond medeiros, on Flickr

This fucker smells better than a Rolls Royce in this truck. Kick panels and carpet left. Carpet will be black, kick panels Red leather as well glued to the body, no aluminum panels. no no 

And then for the purist I made sure to smooth the dash at hot rod it a little. I love red because most people hate and I love it. And even if you hate it it sticks out like a sore thumb. 

• Like 8

Ray, that's really beautiful.  Your upholstery guy is very talented. 

I need to pick his brain and see how he applies the bondo so artfully..  🙂

I feel the same way about interior diamonds as you do about pleats.  I'm trying to make my '40 look like it was done on the 60's, and I'm doing my own upholstery, so I gotta keep it simple due to lack of talent..  🥺

Edited by Duncan
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1