MY project!!!

youll be good man, don't get discouraged Datmike is probly right- just goop the seal as well as possible-

I just tried it and the circle is out of wack. Not only that. But from where its cracked. It chews the gasket up when installing.

I took it apart and see if my welder can do anything. I dont think he is that good enough for this job...

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's gonna be a tough weld on the edge like that!

I'd tap it back into shape with a small hammer and drift....clean it good and then JB Weld it. Use some sandpaper to get some "tooth" on the metal and maybe even cut/sand/grind a slight valley in the crack first.

The core support idea was actually borrowed from someone else on here......I just don't remember who....hhhmmm....it's been a couple of years since I saw the post. Oh well.... :)

That's gonna be a tough weld on the edge like that!

I'd tap it back into shape with a small hammer and drift....clean it good and then JB Weld it. Use some sandpaper to get some "tooth" on the metal and maybe even cut/sand/grind a slight valley in the crack first.

The core support idea was actually borrowed from someone else on here......I just don't remember who....hhhmmm....it's been a couple of years since I saw the post. Oh well.... :)

OHH? still an awsome idea non the less. My support in not 100% anyway. Might as well....

Adam im with Mike K here. Try & make the opening round again. Maybe get in there with a dremel bit & go slow till the seal slides in easily.

Father said he knows someone who might be able to weld it up and fix it. Let see what they guy can do.

I wasted around 80$ trying to get this right. Here are the pics. It hold the gasket pretty good. I also cleaned the tail to see if I catch any leaks. I still hope to replace it.

IMG_7731.jpg

IMG_7726.jpg

IMG_7728.jpg

Took the trans apart a couple of times. I was scared shitless at first. But they are pretty easy to work with.

IMG_7730.jpg

I also cut the rad support so I can easily work on the engine on future. Will be taking the engine out again after the break in and a few miles... I got the tabs and bolts ready to be bolted on and welded...

IMG_7729.jpg

That is it. See you at the BBQ!

seems to be reving high.

Is that the choke still ON?

The cable is not adjusted right. So the cable sticks. At some points Its at like 200 rpm and it dont turn off.

I drove her around today for the first time. Just went to the freeway and picked it up to 75 and got off on the next exit. Did the "LOOP" 2 times, just real quick cus I need to weld on the muffler again.

I would get on the HWY on Rosecrans then pick it up to 75 and get off in Redondo beach. Then get on the hwy on Redondo, pick it up to 75 and get off in Rosecrans.

Just breaking it in. :D

I went to hassiben for a compression test. And it reads 100 all across. I dont think that is very good for a new engine? Also it smokes when I let go of the gas... Is that ok for an engine less than 70 miles??? Thanks!

Adam 100 psi is way to low even for an old ired L motor. Normal / good should be in the 140-170 range. If you adjust the valves it should improve compression. Check www.olddatsuns.com for valve lash specs.

Recent updates....

Pics before I tear her apart again!

P1010028.jpg

P1010027.jpg

P1010032.jpg

where did you get that new fender? i have one like that on my passenger side, but i can't find a decently priced one for my drivers side... the one i have on now is pretty much one big dent. ha

• 2 weeks later...

O shoot they be Taiwanese parts. I got it off the internet. Some guy had it locally when autoparts stores still supplied them. I dont know about now... They still make them. But shipping must be a bitch....

Anywho... My engine is out again.... :mellow:

No pics cus its stupid taking pics of an empty engine bay for the 5th time...