MY project!!!

Today while cleaning the borrowed l20b block. I found I MEAN old scratch on the borrowed l20b block. The borrowed l20b was just going to receive a mild hone and new rings. Damn...... That was unexpected....

So now both blocks need a rebuild sort of. This is what I decided...

I will Hone out my block as much as I can. Install new rings and hope it holds.... If not, I will rebuild the borrowed l20b...

I was quoted 330$ to rebuild the short block on the l20b. It's just parts and prep work. No labor. They will hot tank, cut, hone the block, Order new rings and pistons, polish the crank and order the correct bearings, And install the new pistons to the rod. For 60$ Then can include the freeze plugs "installed" and paint.

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

who makes theyre pistons???????????

maybe better just to order a 1mm over bore and give them the Jap pistons.

Burt thats all a good price if they do good work

He said for sure he can get rock, some other brand and MAYBE NPR. If I get the engine rebuilt. I will make sure he gets NPR...

For rings he told me I can get rock or hastings. Chrome or regular. He told me to get regular since they sit better.

I took the engines to get rebuilt yesterday. Today I called and they told me my old block was cut to short. Causing the pistons to hit the wall. Causing the pistons to shrink?

What I was trying to do was use my old .50 pistons on a virgin block. But now that the pistons be out of wack. I cant do that no more?

Anywho.... Let see what happens. I was quotes 535+tax on a complete assembled short block. I was hopping to cut back spending by reusing mu old pistons... Lates!

• 3 weeks later...

My engine died so I rebuilt it. Took my time and trying to make this one right. Powder coated the valve cover and chain cover. and removed all the rust on the parts and painted... Maybe I should get new bolts instead of the ugly rusted ones... That is why the chain cover is not installed a 100%... I also repainted the engine bay and hood.

IMG_7701.jpg

IMG_7702.jpg

IMG_7704.jpg

Motor looks good Adam.

Thanks!

Make sure to put oil in that oil pump Brother!!!!!!!!!!

I will. I just want to get the "special" break in oil and prime the pump. Once I get the oil I will put the rest of it together. :D

Looks really good Adam.. I thought you were going to call me.

How did you like the powder coat?

For free I cant complain. I didn't like how the guy powder coated the valve cover. So I sanded the sides down and wrinkle painted that shit up.

I was. But nah... I felt bad that your 720 blew. I thought it was not best to bother yah. I borred a questionable torque wrench from the kragen. Lets see wtf... I will have to retorque this head gasket again. Its not a felpro. :blink:

That is a fine freakin mill Adam! Thumbs up!

Thanks man! I wish I used gray rtv instead. The red RTV sticks out to much. But that is what I had soo.. O well...

hulk-hogan-image.jpg

AHHAHHAHAHAHAHAH! Yep! I Imagined that too. :D

Yeah. I prime the pump till I see oil coming out of the camshaft. This is what I do. I grind the oil pump shaft smooth and remove the teeth. Then to spin it, I used to use my old distributor. But this time I might have to cut/notch a socket... And spin it with a drill...

ass.jpg

Yeah. I prime the pump till I see oil coming out of the camshaft. This is what I do. I grind the oil pump shaft smooth and remove the teeth. Then to spin it, I used to use my old distributor. But this time I might have to cut/notch a socket... And spin it with a drill...

ass.jpg

Not a bad idea there :D

I am in need of some bolts. Going to the yard tomorrow...

This is what was left over from the gasket kit. Anything I missed? What are these for?

IMG_7720.jpg

Is this just right? 11.28 right?

IMG_7718.jpg

But when I put on the cap. The one position on the marker is on the other side. I guess I have the wrong pedistle. Ever since the first rebuild. I could not get the timing right. I paid some one to do it. I guess I will use that all mechanics trick and set it up when I see the spark....

IMG_7719.jpg

Jou got it rite mang. Engine TDC & dist. shaft dot lined up with dot on oil pump & then turn it clockwise a hair just b4 engaging all the way to timing cover. It slips rite into place. Did you have points dizzy b4? They face the opposite way of the matchbox. Now pop your dist. cap on & the hole that the rotor points to is #1 plug :D

All the extra gaskets are for the stove pipe manifolds from the 76-77 U67 head. I have about 100 of those f'n things lying around.

Oh yah, I love your truck! Its BadASS :cool: I'd give my left nut for those rims :blink:

I got a chuckle out of my name being referenced....but what's the prob with the seal? If you needing help in locating a rear main seal for you trans, you won't have any trouble getting one. Datsun used the same rear trans seal from the column shift 320 all the way into the hardbody.