Does any one do ebay anymore?

I had giving up on selling on ebay when they jacked the rates up and started to tell thier sellers off. I got on there a month or so and my god, all the damn singapore and chinese made crap being sold on there. No auctions even. So I figured I'd start my sellers account back up and see how I do. Things are a bit slower but I figured, bad economy and lack of buyers? I was just curious if anyone still shops there? I haven't listed many datsun parts yet, but I do plan on it, now that I'm able to get peoples parts shipped off.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I would ask here before I went to Ebay, but if no one has what I need here, ebay is my next stop, then, rockauto. Though now that I have a dime, I'd prolly try the realm too.

Been a long while since I've bought anything for my Datsun though. Probably a year and a half because that is how long it has been since I did any serious work to them.

I did a bit of ebay a while back. Definitely hard to find good parts, mostly just "new" Chinese crap being sold. Depends on what you're looking for. The main reason I haven't used it is I don't have the time to scour wrecking yards and most of the stuff I get I sell to Ratsun folk anyway.

It did annoy me though that even though I had 100% positive and 10 reps from three years ago or so, if you go on now, it only counts feedback from the current year, so I show up as 0 reps, which no one wants to buy from. And since I don't sell near enough stuff on there, it's not really much of a spot to sell things. I'd still use it if I had something good to sell. Just as easy to use cl though, have to search harder that's about it.

I have a few saved searches that I run a couple times every day, and I buy things occasionally. There is a crap ton of stuff to wade though, but at least ebay's search engine lets you use a lot of operators to make search results more in line with what you want. For example, I'm looking for an 05-2012 frontier/xterra/pathfinder rear driveshaft and this is my search query...

(frontier,xterra,pathfinder) (driveshaft, drive shaft, prop, propeller,yoke) (05,06,07,08,09,10,11,12,2005,2006,2007,2008,2009,2010,2011,2012) -front

I look daily. On my phone. To be honest it is a pain to wade through the thousands of car covers looking for something good. Yes I do a blanket Datsun search, and have found some nuggets that way. I also sell, but after I try here and the local classifieds. CL here doesn't do well because of the local paper having a better interface. I don't worry too much about ratings myself when I buy. I only have 115 items of feedback, but have not been burned yet. I am selective and pretty broke so don't buy much. I liked it much better when it was the online yard sale. Too many big sellers now IMHO.

YMMV

People sell stuff in the paper? Tuscon must be very old-west.

eBay is still the largest marketplace. You want to sell, just pass it on to the buyers. Buyers are spending big money on parts. $135 for a stock, fairly common Datsun steering wheel. $2500 for a beater Datsun sedan. $35 for a common radio delete plate. But the economy is down too. You shouldn't care about that, but only about the ones who are buying. And they have money.

Actually im in Utah now. Shoulda thought of that before I picked my name I guess. This isn't really a paper per se, but it's online extension. No fees, nice search and interface, and easy to sell stuff on. Now that I say that though I will be listing some non-datsun stuff on ebay tonight.

Derp...... Edited.

yeah, I know what you mean. I don't buy from Taiwan unless it's something I just can't get anywhere else.I'll even pay a little more. Keep watching,every so often a good deal comes through. I found an upholstery kit-not just a 'seat cover' for my 620. It had just been posted with 6 days and 22 hours to go. $200 buy It now. Ka-ching.

I sell too, and I just reached 1000 positives with 100% rating. Yes the fees suck,but there's not that many choices.

Craigslist? Bring your gun....

I know the fees suck. Thats why I quit a couple years ago. But like pharough says, there's not many other places. I know of "banazal" but haven't seen much on there either. And craigslist can be scary too. I was more trolling to see if people still shop there. I have started to list a bit though, hopefully my starting prices aren't too high for the datsun parts though.

I sold a few things recently but it is true I hardly use eBay. I've been on there since 1998.

Their listing fees are gone so I can post up to 100 auctions a month and if they don't sell, it costs me nothing. I like that idea. You only pay a fee if it actually gets a winning bid. Then of course they get you again with PayPal fees depending on how your account is set up.

I sold a few things recently but it is true I hardly use eBay. I've been on there since 1998.

Then of course they get you again with PayPal fees depending on how your account is set up.

how can a person avoid pay pal fee's, more details bleach.

prob not hear the answer. lol

Actually im in Utah now. Shoulda thought of that before I picked my name I guess. This isn't really a paper per se, but it's online extension. No fees, nice search and interface, and easy to sell stuff on. Now that I say that though I will be listing some non-datsun stuff on ebay tonight.

Yeah, here in utah KSL.com trumps Craigslist as the most popular place for online classifieds. People look there first then craigslist.

I have been recently thinking of selling some stuff on eBay although I never have. This thread has some good info.

Guest 510kamikazifreak

It did annoy me though that even though I had 100% positive and 10 reps from three years ago or so, if you go on now, it only counts feedback from the current year, so I show up as 0 reps, which no one wants to buy from. And since I don't sell near enough stuff on there, it's not really much of a spot to sell things. I'd still use it if I had something good to sell. Just as easy to use cl though, have to search harder that's about it.

When selling now if you havent sold on ebay in a long time,there is a 21 day period in which you do not get paid(detailed seller ratings ).

https://www.paypal-marketing.co.uk/safetyadvice/PaymentHoldsForEbayItems.htm

I've been on ebay nearly since it's inception, and recall one evening even browsing through ebay Motors in it's entirety (parts and cars)~ about 5k items at that point. Jeez~ you can't even do that in one category now without a highly refined search! I agree~ it has indeed gone to the Shih-Tzu (pun intended), but what spoiled a good thing for me- even before the influx of chinese inferior merchandise- was when they bought PayPal out. Never been a power seller (save one three month stretch I earned a "silver certificate"- >$2k /mo in sales), but it has been a good parts source over the years. Less than 3% of everything I've bought there's not been auto-related.

Logistically speaking my strategy's been to exhaust local resources (paper, CL, etc.) first when searching~ this reduces shipping costs and competitive buyers. When selling the opposite holds true~ put it out there on the big market for all the world to see! You'll get a better price~ and someone else is paying the shipping! The exception to this rule kicks in when you have a tight-knit clan such as RATSUN, where good-hearted peeps try to help out the next guy~ even if you only see them once a year @ Canby....

That's my story~ and I'm stickin to it....

Scott

I use ebay all the time. Some people bitch about the fees and what-not, but the reality is that it's still the best place to buy and sell goods. It's easily the place with the largest audience, and as a result you're more likely to get a better price because more people are bidding. I use it all the time to buy and sell, and have no plans to stop.

Sigh. I bought and received yesterday these "new" Belltech drop spindles from a guy on ebay. WTF. I even specifically reminded him to pack them carefully. I would have rather paid the difference to buy some actual brand new ones from somewhere else than end up with this kind of crap. This is my biggest gripe with ebay, aside from the fees and the fact that it's mostly a spamhole of crap now - things that aren't in the condition they're described, and if you want to return them you're out the money it costs to ship them back, which is total BS when it's the seller's fault.

spindles1.jpg

spindles2.jpg

spindles3.jpg

spindles4.jpg

spindles5.jpg

spindles6.jpg

spindles7.jpg

spindles8.jpg

I use ebay all the time. I've bought car parts to computer parts on there. I however did ALMOST get burned but I gotta say Ebay customer service was the bomb! I bought a cell phone which the seller claimed they owned for a month then decided to change phones. So I asked a few questions regarding it like if it had a clean ESN and their reply was yes! So I bought it. I recieve the phone and call Sprint to activate it. Well guess what Sprint tells me? They can't activate it because it shows that it is suspended on someone elses account. Not a closed account but an account put on "suspension" by the owner. And sprint tells me there is absolutely no way to activate the phone without the previous owner removing it or doing whatever they need to do to their account. So I proceed to contact the seller and was very professional about it and stated that they needed to remove the phone from their account. The seller proceeds to tell me they "never used the phone and don't even have Sprint service". I'm like WTF???? What a dumbass. So I replied back with a copy of their listing and high lighted the "used for one month" portion. They then tell me they got the phone from a damn Estate auction!! Even more WTF??? So I asked for my money back because they posted a completely false ad. The phone was never even theirs!! They tell me they'd give me $40 back. HAHAHAHAHAH I paid $100 for it plus shipping. I was like oh hell no!! i tried for 2 days to communicate with them and got no where. So I contacted Ebay and forwarded all my emails between us and BAM! Ebay found the seller in the wrong and promptly sent me a UPS label prepaid and once the seller recieved and signed for the package I got a money transfer to my pay pal account.

So I say contact the seller about those spindles, if you get no where then contact ebay. Thats why they put the 21 day delay on payments to the seller, its to help protect the buyer from bogus sellers.

Usually the issues that thisismatt had can be avoided by looking at a sellers reputation. Usually with a high feedback rating people are less willing to lie, and more likely to resolve things if a part doesn't work out.

I recently purchased a motorcycle gas tank which unknowingly had a hole in it. The seller gave us out money back without any hassle.

I won't purchase anything from anyone who has a rep of less than like 98%. Using that theory I've never had any real problems.

With that said, I have had issues with buyers with low rep numbers. Therefore I will block buyers with no feedback, or low feedback. Bad buyers can be just as much of a problem as sellers.

file a SNAD, should get ALL your money back, inc return ship cost.

Last time I had to do this they didn't refund return shipping cost. I'm attempting to do it again, but I doubt they're going to reimburse me for the return shipping cost, which will likely be $30-40. I shouldn't have to eat that just because the seller is a tool and couldn't figure out that heavy items separated by a piece of paper would get damaged in coast to coast shipping.