Really Ratty Rusty Ruby Ruined & Rotting RIP

Indy, I just picked up a super nice Miller welding helmet off ebay brand new for 240 shipped to my door. I think it has like 9 square inches of viewing area. I've used a flip down for years and finally stepped up to the plate. You should as well.

keep a bucket with water and a rag, you can cool the metal in between welds. This technique will take some practice but it works great in those kinda situations. The trick is to add enough water to cool but evaporate before you do the next weld. Trying to weld something wet sucks ass! Heat control is very important. Massive warping can occur very easily. There are some very skilled welders at my work who I have learned tons from. There is a lot to learn and practice and trying things will help. Like Redeye said your are getting good penetration but you may be able to achieve the same amount with a lower heat setting but weld for longer before it blows through. just keep practicing get a helmet dude!

I have a goon in the back yard. Seeing this thread make me want to body drop it :)

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Start the heat on the tubing, and work your way up to the thinner sheet. Good luck trying to tack the thin sheet to the walled tubing. You'll burn through the sheet as you have found out already. And if you think it looked good on the sheet, then it probably didn't penetrate the tubing. The welds will crack with your car flexing due to poor penetration. Keep the heat on the thicker metal and then you can push the puddle up to the thin sheet metal.

You won't be able to see any of this without a helmet though. hah.

Grab a copy of minitruckin and there's almost always a page of harbor freight coupons. That'll make that autodarkening hood $30. Those hoods usually only last a year or two, but at that price, you cant beat em.

I've gotta get another one before I do anymore datsun welding. The pipeline hood is just too hard to spot weld with. Every time you flip it down, you lose your spot.

I have a helmet/mask ... :lol: .... it's just a cheap flip down non-auto-darkening, and I use it for %95 of my welds,, I only use the Orange County Choppers (closed eye method) when I can't find a way to wear the mask and hold everything .. and still flip it down without moving

the "frame" rails are 2"x2" 0.065 wall tubing ... basically 16ag steel welded to the thickest 510 metal I have found yet.. and there's 2 layers of metal there stock... so that was penetration through 2 layers of 20ag Datsun sandwich rust trap

8068805549_e83375f09d_c.jpg

8068802703_1d2d9ae66a_c.jpg

8068801205_e02ea662e3_c.jpg

8068797766_df95cd3b45_c.jpg

8068799071_23b0d1f794_c.jpg

8068792348_a5b48c23ae_c.jpg

8068794365_1d296642b1_c.jpg

My eyes are fucked up already,,, I'd rather not have the cheapest auto-mask possible ..... seeing as I have thousands of welds to do, and then re-do .... debating between Harbor frieght $50 .. Lincoln $200 .. or Miller $240

100% harbor freight. Unless you are planning to become a professional welder. I do weld professionally. I use a flip down "pipeline" style hood when I'm welding all day long. However, when I'm doing a lot of tack welding, I use one of the cheap harbor freight hoods.

After a year or so, the reaction time of the autodarkening lense will get slower. At that point, throw it in the trash and get another one. The two hundred dollar hood will do the same thing eventually, but it will last a lot longer.

I've yet to burn my eyes using the cheap hoods. Just make sure you adjust it dark enough to not see spots. Same as any auto hood.

I have a helmet/mask ... :lol: .... it's just a cheap flip down non-auto-darkening, and I use it for %95 of my welds,, I only use the Orange County Choppers, closed eye method, when I can't find a way to wear the mask and hold everything .. and still flip it down without moving

the "frame" rails are 2"x2" 0.065 wall tubing ... basically 16ag steel welded to the thickest 510 metal I have found yet.. and there's 2 layers of metal there stock... so that was penetration through 2 layers of 20ag Datsun sandwich rust trap

My eyes are fucked up already,,, I'd rather not have the cheapest auto-mask possible ..... seeing as I have thousands of welds to do, and then re-do .... debating between Harbor frieght $50 .. Lincoln $200 .. or Miller $240

buy a good mask you wont regret it

buy a cheap mask you might decide to buy a better one later

its all up to you

Hey Indy!! Followed this for a while. When welding two different thicknesses of metal, point the torch at the thicker metal and let the puddle flow into the thinner metal. It'll give you good penetration on both and keep the "blowout" rate down. Good luck on getting this back on the road man!!

i used to build sand cars all day and i used a harbor freight 50 dollar auto dark..... works great for me but ive had it for about 4 years and its time to get another, i mlooking at the nexgen from jackson that fits in the big window helmets. its got the 3n1 grind weld and torch in it.

how's that sand rail building job now.. :crying: ...long travel four seater northstar powered cars for sale 15 grand everywhere...some real steals in nevada and az if u got money....pretty much true for all high dollar hobbies......shit i think half the houses in foreclosure in az are cause the owner refi'd and got a 60k rail or 100k off shore boat....plus tow rigs...

indy get a old buzz box, that will teach u how to weld good...to be honest i think your welds look better than 50% on here ... including mine at times...and i been faking it for years now...u gotta fake it to make it

how's that sand rail building job now.. :crying: ...long travel four seater northstar powered cars for sale 15 grand everywhere...some real steals in nevada and az if u got money....pretty much true for all high dollar hobbies......shit i think half the houses in foreclosure in az are cause the owner refi'd and got a 60k rail or 100k off shore boat....plus tow rigs...

indy get a old buzz box, that will teach u how to weld good...to be honest i think your welds look better than 50% on here ... including mine at times...and i been faking it for years now...u gotta fake it to make it

hence why i said used to build em. i now am an engineer for one of the olest hand tool companies making special engineered tools for the medical and electrical indusrties. but i do run a fab shop after my normal 7-330 job.

Or just take a welding class... I've learned a lot at my community college about welding.. Mostly stick welding.. but same basic principles apply to MIG.

I've learned to keep an eye on the puddle. the puddle can tell you lots of things.

I think you F'd it a long time a go on this one. As much as I'd love to see it back on the road, it would take a huge amounts of time and money that most of us here don't have and those that do want a better starting point. But hey, I'd love to be wrong and see someone get it back on the road.

Sorry I don't have anything more encouraging for you but that's how I see this one ending.

Maybe somebody can hang it on their wall.