• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I would have bought the .308 mvp but that's just me not liking .223.

I don't have anything else in .308 but do have a Tavor in 5.56/.223.  But the main reason for buying this gun... and y'all may want to sit down for the mind-blowingly stupid reason that it is... you ready?  I had that FDE STANAG magazine you see in the photo and absolutely refused to a) sell it and 2) put it in said Tavor.

Digging the long barreled vepr, it really want to be an svd.

Yes, the Vepr is mos-def a wannabe SVD/Dragunov!  I'm giving serious thought to buying some faux SVD furniture for it here.

Heavy

All in the eye of the beholder.  My 1905 Mexican Mauser weighs 12 pounds, more than a M1 Garand.  But the balance!  28 inch barrels in 7X57 Mauser is a sweet rifle.  Also meets the old emperical rule that a 100 caliber length barrel is the most accurate and powder efficient length.  Near complete powder consumption before exiting the barrel and barrel drag has not yet decreased the velocity.

Please do not. It has the perfect furniture already. 

Please do not [put a sedan grille in your 1200].  It has the perfect grille already.

Please do not [put flares on your 1200].  It has the perfect fenders already.

Please do not [lower your 1200].  It has the perfect ride height already.

Please do not [put IRS in your 1200].  It has the perfect rear suspension already.

Please do not [put a dual Mikuni A-14 in your 1200].  It has the perfect engine already.

Please do not [put a five speed in your 1200].  It has the perfect transmission already.

Want me to continue?

Friend of mine who is really into ar's got really excited when iwi started importing the travor, then he found out that it's just an ar bullpup, changed his mind pretty quick which I thought was quite funny.

Except for being the same caliber and using the same magazines, there really is nothing similar in the two platforms.

Anyone on here own or have any experience with an M1 Garand? Kinda been looking at one and wanted some thoughts?

Much like an m1a, they can potentially slam fire with soft primered ammo. Never seen it happen but it can ruin shit. My local smith said they can have op rod failures with the increased pressures of todays ammo. '06 ammo is fucking expensive as hell lately. All reasons I went with the more modern m1a. They are really cool for the old school war collector vibe though, I'll get one some day.

Except for being the same caliber and using the same magazines, there really is nothing similar in the two platforms.

I thought the gas system bolt and carrier were also really similar, I didn't do any investigation because a 5.56 is really none of my concern, for me its 7.62 all the way.

I thought the gas system bolt and carrier were also really similar, I didn't do any investigation because a 5.56 is really none of my concern, for me its 7.62 all the way.

Nope, ARs are direct impingement where the gasses are routed through a tube directly (hence the name) to the bolt face.  Tavors are long-stroke (much like myse... no, no, I won't go THERE) piston similar-ish to an AK.  As for the bolt... that may be similar if not identical twixt ARs and Tavors.  I've never seent an AR bolt in person and cannot say.  I don't think the carriers are all that similar... but again, I have no experience with an AR.

Much like an m1a, they can potentially slam fire with soft primered ammo. Never seen it happen but it can ruin shit. My local smith said they can have op rod failures with the increased pressures of todays ammo. '06 ammo is fucking expensive as hell lately. All reasons I went with the more modern m1a. They are really cool for the old school war collector vibe though, I'll get one some day.

The op rod failures are in early production units which were replaced but jus might sneak back into the system through batch sales of old parts. The orignal had sharp transition from the front to back rod and the horizontal portion.  Stress fracture was the result.  A well radiused transition was the cure.

As to the cost of 30.06 ammo, that's why reloader kits were invented!  I have sucessly reloaded WW1 ammo [with due regard to mercuric primer weaking of the brass case] it all depends on adherence to full length case trim, careful resizing [yes, before case length trim!] and not being so stupid as to go to "full load" with unread footnotes before hauing a six pack before starting the reloading process.  I have evenly reloaded, and still have. a case dated 1906! Reloading kits range from the basic Lyman 310 tool [primative but appealing to survivalists] to more completely adjustable modern load specific kits.  Google is your friend!  The Lyman 30.06 kit procuces approximaely 30.30 lever action results, so is OK for bolt actions but not for semi automatics, especially not the M-1!

P.S. I bought my Lyman 30-06 reloading kit from a gunsmith on the New York City Waterfront area[now the museum] of New York City who was not even aware that he occupied the original Headquartes of the "New York Firearms" company that produced the original 1862 Moore .32RF 7 shot revolver before fleeing to Brooklyn to attemp to escape repossesion from Smith and Wesson for violation of the"straight throuch cylinder" patent.  Moore was the first manufacturer sued and adjudged guilty of violation of the USA patent.  There were preceeding Europen patents that appeared to superceed this patent but American Courts ignored them.