• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The wickedest shotgun I ever saw was at Than Sohn Nhuit Air Base in 1962.  A bunch of ARVN Rangers were getting on a helicopter to go Charlie hunting.  They were equipped with High Standard / JC Higgens 12 gauge shotguns modified to hold 12 gauge GI all brass shotshells with a vertical clip in front of the trigger guard and a selector switch!  Right, a hand held full automatic 12 gauge machine gun [yes, full automatic and machine gun is redundant] .  No pictures, you don't take a camera on a flight line during a war.

• Like 1

The wickedest shotgun I ever saw was at Than Sohn Nhuit Air Base in 1962. A bunch of ARVN Rangers were getting on a helicopter to go Charlie hunting. They were equipped with High Standard / JC Higgens 12 gauge shotguns modified to hold 12 gauge GI all brass shotshells with a vertical clip in front of the trigger guard and a selector switch! Right, a hand held full automatic 12 gauge machine gun [yes, full automatic and machine gun is redundant] . No pictures, you don't take a camera on a flight line during a war.

They also have the AA12 which is a full auto machine gun 12ga. As seen in the Expendables 1&2.

I can't remember the magazine capacity of the M500 (Mossberg 500) shotgun I carried in the Navy, it was either 7 or 8 (+1 in the chamber).  This was in 2001, so it was before the Navy started getting M590A1s. 

I can't imagine trying to fire a full-auto Shotgun.  Just shooting the M500 pump-action left me bruised up.  I hated that thing, I was one of the best shots with a M16 in my unit but no, I got the shotgun because I was an engineer.   At least I wasn't stuck with having only a M9 pistol like the boat officer and the coxswain were.   

I can't remember the magazine capacity of the M500 (Mossberg 500) shotgun I carried in the Navy, it was either 7 or 8 (+1 in the chamber).  This was in 2001, so it was before the Navy started getting M590A1s. 

I can't imagine trying to fire a full-auto Shotgun.  Just shooting the M500 pump-action left me bruised up.  I hated that thing, I was one of the best shots with a M16 in my unit but no, I got the shotgun because I was an engineer.   At least I wasn't stuck with having only a M9 pistol like the boat officer and the coxswain were.   

We still use the M500 on subs and if I remember right, its 8+1. Its been awhile since Ive had to stand a watch that involves the shotgun though. 

I can't remember the magazine capacity of the M500 (Mossberg 500) shotgun I carried in the Navy, it was either 7 or 8 (+1 in the chamber). This was in 2001, so it was before the Navy started getting M590A1s.

I can't imagine trying to fire a full-auto Shotgun. Just shooting the M500 pump-action left me bruised up. I hated that thing, I was one of the best shots with a M16 in my unit but no, I got the shotgun because I was an engineer. At least I wasn't stuck with having only a M9 pistol like the boat officer and the coxswain were.

It is actually softer in the shoulder because of the mechanism, buffer springs and all that fun stuff

My personal favorite is when he gets sprayed with bear spray (like really strong pepper spray)

"Don't be pussy" in rusky accent :lol: classic...

The line is:

One more, one more, come on, don't be a beetch, one more!

I use this line with my sparring partners all the time, really pisses them off :)

• Like 1

Don't forget!  I'm talking early 1962, and these were native Vietnamese Rangers, not Caucasian or the later Taiwanese or South Korean "advisors".  Not so coincidently most of the ARVN Rangers were refugees from the North.  They were fighting to get their country back.

On a lighter note, the funniest firearms related memory from that early Viet Nam sojurn was the sight of a "CQ" [like the National Guard] sentry at the North end of the Phu Bai airport strip.  He was wearing [couldn't really say carying] a Thompson submachine gun.  The Cutts Compensator was taller than his helmet and the butt plate kept hitting his boot heels.  Yes, he was that short!  He did march his post in a smart military fashion, so I will give him credit for that!

• Like 1

We still use the M500 on subs and if I remember right, its 8+1. Its been awhile since Ive had to stand a watch that involves the shotgun though. 

For perspective, when I was on a ship, tho only armed watchstander was the POOW.  With an M1911 that would more likely fall apart than actually fire a round.  Though Subs always seemed to have tighter security than the old floating AM/PM (with bombs) I served on.

The security weapons on the Sacramento were M14s, more M1911s, and old wood-stocked remington shotguns.  Hell, half the security team would just get handed a stick (I'd grab a fire-axe, at least).  Most of the armory was stuff the ship had when it was part of the Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club.  The ship got M9s shortly after I left.  I prefer the M1911 to any 9mm but the ones we had were nearly unserviceable.  Quite a few were older than the ship.

9/11 changed a lot of things.  In the boat unit, we not only carried, we carried fully loaded.  Everyone, from the CO to the cook.  Way different from surface force. 

For perspective, when I was on a ship, tho only armed watchstander was the POOW.  With an M1911 that would more likely fall apart than actually fire a round.  The security weapons were M14s, more M1911s, and old wood-stocked remington shotguns.  Hell, half the security team would just get handed a stick (I'd grab a fire-axe, at least).  Most of the armory was stuff the ship had when it was part of the Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club.  The ship got M9s shortly after I left.  I prefer the M1911 to any 9mm but the ones we had were nearly unserviceable.  Quite a few were older than the ship.

9/11 changed a lot of things.  Though Subs always seemed to have tighter security than the old floating AM/PM (with bombs) I served on.

The POOW carried an M9 and the rover (we only had two watchstanders topside) carried either the M500 or an M16. When pulling into port, we had another guy up in the sail who had a MK43.

converted Saiga?

Yup.   :thumbup:

Your 1911 is it a 4" or 5" barrel.

He said full size, so 5"

Well that's why I asked because some people think a 4" is full size.

Yes, dumb people.   :rofl:                  (jk)

To answer your question, the one I mentioned was a 5" Springfield. 

804767_01_springfield_armory_1911_stainl

After that I switched to a 4" RIA 1911... 

rock-island-compact.jpg

And then switched to a 3" Kimber Ultra Carry II. Easiest and most comfortable concealed carry weapon I've ever owned. Wish every day I hadn't sold it...   :yawn:

33169_20101028121741_1.jpg

The line is:

One more, one more, come on, don't be a beetch, one more!

I use this line with my sparring partners all the time, really pisses them off :)

You are correct sir! I haven't watched it in a while, my memory can be...how you say.......shitty

You are correct sir! I haven't watched it in a while, my memory can be...how you say.......shitty

Pffffttt, doesnt matter diddly squat whos correct :)

I practiced for weeks to get it sounding right.

Interestingly enough, theres a lot of threads (lot look like conspiracy theories) on the internet about the producer of his videos getting killed!

Yup.   :thumbup:

Yes, dumb people.   :rofl:                  (jk)

To answer your question, the one I mentioned was a 5" Springfield. 

804767_01_springfield_armory_1911_stainl

After that I switched to a 4" RIA 1911... 

rock-island-compact.jpg

And then switched to a 3" Kimber Ultra Carry II. Easiest and most comfortable concealed carry weapon I've ever owned. Wish every day I hadn't sold it...   :yawn:

33169_20101028121741_1.jpg

Well so i was right and then right again,i guess I aint that dumb.lol But you on the other hand for selling your kimber,well I cant help you there.lol