1970 Plymouth Duster 5MGTE swap

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Been working some late nights, making some progress. so far trans cross member is half completed, the exhaust is pretty much done, i just need a 3 inch turn down. running 3' straight through. clutch master and slave are installed. i have a few more things to do until the clutch master push rod is functional. Thank God there are plenty of turbo Volvos at the wrecking yard for inter-cooler piping. this Frankenstein inter-cooler piping is temporary.

IMG01582-20120714-1239.jpg

IMG01583-20120714-1427.jpg

IMG01598-20120714-1510.jpg

IMG01602-20120714-1511.jpg

IMG01603-20120714-2129.jpg

IMG01609-20120714-2131.jpg

IMG01611-20120714-2341.jpg

Hmmmm.. ford in a ford , chevy in a chevy, mopar in a mopar,

with that kind of thinking the list of classics that would have never been is long....

Cobra.. Ford in an AC

Tiger... Ford in a sunbeam.

Interceptor... Mopar in a Jensen

Europa....Renault or Ford/Cosworth in a Lotus

Elise... Toyota in a Lotus

TR8... Buick in a Triumph

to name just a few... tongue.gif

Let's not forget the VG30 into the Mercury Villager

Screw all the purist static, it's your shit, do it! And hot damn shit fire saves matches burns like hell! :o That thing is nuckin futs! :hyper: I want video of startup, drive by and the view from the interior on the run! :D You sir are a nut and I salute you!! :fu:

i plan on doing vids for sure. about 400 whp is expected. should be fun.yeah, i get accused of being nuts. as you can tell, i don't follow the crowd.... :w00t:

• Like 3

i plan on doing vids for sure. about 400 whp is expected. should be fun.yeah, i get accused of being nuts. as you can tell, i don't follow the crowd.... :w00t:

He is not nuts. His dad just dropped a coulpe of hammers when he was a kid. Bad part is when the old man dropped the hammers they hit Steve square on his noggin......

• 1 month later...

I like your "frankenstien". Too bad I couldn't let u use my 74 dart or 76 duster instead of a pre 72 a-body....o well. Too bad those heads are alredy gone..... I have a beautiful 67 Belvedere II that I am going to put in a warmed over 318 & those 340 "x" heads would make her sing. The original 318 w/126kmiles still will do 117mph w/o flinching. Why don't you really mess w/ peoples heads and convert that Nissan 6 over 2 propane!!!! Only 2.50 gallon around here and nearly the same performance as gas!!! I am converting the fresh slant 6 thats going into my 66 D-100 over to propane. I think it will be cheaper to drive than my 30mpg 82 Datsun 720 w/z22/weber/5speed. The motor looks great under the hood of your Duster.....Let us know what u get for actual MPG when you are all finished.......Chrysler got around 30mpg w/the "feather Duster" slant six car back in the 70's.......hard 2 find those lightweight front end (aluminum)parts these days though. What is my 71 Swinger worth that far south? All original,slant,A/C-blows cold,bench seat, 2door,auto, 26,000original miles, no rust......runs like new.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

As the former owner of '74 Space/Gold Duster V8, I highly approve of this project.

Just to let you know, a Jeep Wagoneer front chin spoiler works great on A-bodies.

Here's mine for reference. (With a '71 Demon front for added awesome.)

:

Dustdevilshowresize.jpg

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

As the former owner of '74 Space/Gold Duster V8, I highly approve of this project.

Just to let you know, a Jeep Wagoneer front chin spoiler works great on A-bodies.

Here's mine for reference. (With a '71 Demon front for added awesome.)

:

Dustdevilshowresize.jpg

i like the idea, i will have top ass it along to a friend with a dart swinger.

You have amazing fab skills. I can't wait to be as good as you!

Really though, respect earned and given. You put robot arms to shame.

I bet that thing will run circles around it's old self.

Honestly, i wish that were true. i have hit a creative wall and have called for a summit of similar minds over to my house this Saturday to try to come up with a solution to my intake/MAF/air filter problem. shit is not going together as i was hoping for. room for everything just isnt there like you would think.

• 5 months later...

The Dodge Duster is like the ugly duckling of the Mopar family. Nobody ever paid attention to these cars, so it sounds hypocritical to say  stuff like I am reading in your post.

This Duster is lucky to have this engine installed. It is an improvement. Technology wise this Duster will be hell better off. Going upwards in technology is acceptable. The other way around would not be. A Toyota motor in a Duster is great, a Duster engine in a Toyota would be dumb move.

Performance V8 american motors are loud and torquey, but big time guzzlers and not reliable.

WTF Y U WANNA RUIN A CLASSIC MOPAR MUSCLE CAR BY GOING TUNER? I WILL BE ON MY WAY 2 PICK UP DUSTER FROM U. I AM A MOPAR FREAK AND HAVE 4 CUDA'S HERE IN PHOENIX AND I DEFINITLY WILL NOT DO SOMETHING SO DRASTIC AS THAT. IF ANY CHANGES WILL BE DONE TO THEM WILL BE A MODERN HEMI SWAP OR 360/727 SWAP. SOMEONE HAS BEEN WATCHING FAST/FURIOUS TOKYO DRIFT TOO MUCH. YOU KNOW THAT THEY USED 5 MUSTANG FASTBACKS IN THAT MOVIE AND THE 1 THEY WERE RACING IN IT HAD A BUILT 302CI MOTOR IN IT.