1970 Plymouth Duster 5MGTE swap

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Dodge Duster is like the ugly duckling of the Mopar family. Nobody ever paid attention to these cars, so it sounds hypocritical to say  stuff like I am reading in your post.

This Duster is lucky to have this engine installed. It is an improvement. Technology wise this Duster will be hell better off. Going upwards in technology is acceptable. The other way around would not be. A Toyota motor in a Duster is great, a Duster engine in a Toyota would be dumb move.

Performance V8 american motors are loud and torquey, but big time guzzlers and not reliable.

In-correct-the Duster/Dart A-bodies were some of the most popular MOPARS ever offered.The LA engine(318/340/360) was one of the most trouble free power plants ever built.And the 833 & 727 transmissions were bullet proof.
  • Like 1

Quite true, my parents had a tradesmen extended super long van with a 318 and 727. The damn thing would not die, it had over 400,000 miles and my mother was definetely guilty of having a lead foot. It had doors falling off like most dodges do, and still ran when they finally sold it to some hippies in northern california.

This project is very cool, i'm curious when the next update will come. I look forward to seeing more on this!

In-correct-the Duster/Dart A-bodies were some of the most popular MOPARS ever offered.The LA engine(318/340/360) was one of the most trouble free power plants ever built.And the 833 & 727 transmissions were bullet proof.

AGREED! hell even the smaller LA stuff **273** were amazing. my moms old 68 Dart 4dr (which is now mine) when it ran, it blew blue out one pipe, black out the other and it was walkin all over BB-Chevs damn reliable until the rear end went out in 03' i believe.

I agree Dusters were amongst the most popular. Engines are strong.  But unless money was a problem, Dusters were not your choice for building a performance car back in the day.

I got this photo from the internet. Nice Plymouth Belvedere. Love the stance. Wish more american cars would follow this style.  Check it out.

http://www.conceptcarz.com/view/photo/513279,10437/1966-Plymouth-Belvedere-I_Photo.aspx#photo

Editting to see if I can load up the photo.  :thumbup:

66-Plymouth-Belvedere-DV-10-AI-01.jpg

I agree Dusters were amongst the most popular. Engines are strong.  But unless money was a problem, Dusters were not your choice for building a performance car back in the day.

They were when the gas crisis hit.

The 340's with the W-2 option flew.In 78 Dodge had a 360 powered truck that was quicker than the Vette that year.I won't even discuss the 340 Six-pack cars.

The 340's with the W-2 option flew.In 78 Dodge had a 360 powered truck that was quicker than the Vette that year.I won't even discuss the 340 Six-pack cars.

Wasnt that the lil' red express?

I need to stop viewing this thread, its making me want to stuff a RB20 in the Nova lol

I want that Roadrunner as in the picture. This year model Roadrunner is my all time favorite Mopar. The Belvedere II ( as in previous page ) is my second all time Mopar favorite. I grew up with a station wagon like this. My father had a pristine wagon. I dreamt of making it a Nascar style ( like the previous photos ) ...wagon. By the time I could had done something like that, Dad already sold it.

I had a buddy that had a 70 Duster, 340, 4 speed back in the day, and I was with him when he laid waste to a 440 six pack Superbird, Dusters were great cars, and not that bad looking either, until the mid 70s big ugly bumpers came out.

I had a buddy that had a 70 Duster, 340, 4 speed back in the day, and I was with him when he laid waste to a 440 six pack Superbird, Dusters were great cars, and not that bad looking either, until the mid 70s big ugly bumpers came out.

Yep.But in all fairness SuperChickens weren't exactly a 1/4 mile car.I help a buddy stuff a 440 in to a 72 Duster.Fenderwells & all.NEVER F-ING AGAIN.

I bought a '70 340 4spd. Dart Swinger new. It was fast as just about anything but wouldn't take a HEMI above 40. Met a Can-Am 'Cuda with the 340 6 pack out on the 401 between Coburg and Bowmanville. It handed me my ass five times from 60 to 120. That was where the 'Cuda's 4.11 rear ran out of top end.

I bought a '70 340 4spd. Dart Swinger new. It was fast as just about anything but wouldn't take a HEMI above 40. Met a Can-Am 'Cuda with the 340 6 pack out on the 401 between Coburg and Bowmanville. It handed me my ass five times from 60 to 120. That was where the 'Cuda's 4.11 rear ran out of top end.

I think you mean an AAR Cuda, I wanted one of those so bad, but even then they were rare as hen's teeth. I ended up with a 70 Cuda with a 383 Magnum, lowered it with 15X8 American 200S wheels, and the BFG tires that were hot at the time. It had the look, but wasn't as fast, or dependable as I wanted. Had trouble with the long doors sagging all the time too! It broke me of ever wanting another MOPAR, even though I still like the looks and the small block engines.

All American Racers yeah that's it. The 'Cuda had a black hood with a triangle air inlet

Looked like this but was purple

mopar.jpg

It was called plum crazy purple. My 70 was dark green metalic with satin black trim. The Dodges were TAAs, too bad the production was so limited. They should have made a bunch like Chevy did with the Z28s!

• 3 weeks later...

There will always be nay Sayers there is a 70's nova with a 13b turbo I am sure folks gave him hell too!! I have a 58 Chevy pu sitting on 71 eldorado chassis I have heard why did you do that a bunch!

• 6 months later...