1970 Plymouth Duster 5MGTE swap

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

i had taken some time off from the Duster. having issues with fitting the piping. torn between going with a forward facing intake manifold or cutting the fender-well to make more room. the intake is 500 to 1500 bux. not sure i want to go that route. so until i come up with the magic bullet remedy for this problem i will let it sit stagnant. though i did finish the aluminum air dam.

2014021295063054_zps9552ab32.jpg

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

i had taken some time off from the Duster. having issues with fitting the piping. torn between going with a forward facing intake manifold or cutting the fender-well to make more room. the intake is 500 to 1500 bux. not sure i want to go that route. so until i come up with the magic bullet remedy for this problem i will let it sit stagnant. though i did finish the aluminum air dam.

2014021295063054_zps9552ab32.jpg

Any full shots of the beast ?

• 2 months later...

I drive a 68 Galaxie, 390 FE Big Block....   Bad gas mileage is part of the car, I get 9mpg and don't complain about it.  Technically anything less than 30mpg is bad gas mileage, where do you draw the line?  I had a tired 63 Mercury Meteor Wagon with a 260ci V8.  It got 19mpg average all the time, car weighed 4000lbs.  I've had Datsun 620's that barely got over 20mpg, they are slow, and what are you actually gaining under powering a vehicle just to get sub par mileage anyways?  You are going to have to rev the crap out of it all the time just to keep up with a Chrysler minivan.  Torque moves them cars easily getting 18-20mpg....

I drive a 68 Galaxie, 390 FE Big Block....   Bad gas mileage is part of the car, I get 9mpg and don't complain about it.  Technically anything less than 30mpg is bad gas mileage, where do you draw the line?  I had a tired 63 Mercury Meteor Wagon with a 260ci V8.  It got 19mpg average all the time, car weighed 4000lbs.  I've had Datsun 620's that barely got over 20mpg, they are slow, and what are you actually gaining under powering a vehicle just to get sub par mileage anyways?  You are going to have to rev the crap out of it all the time just to keep up with a Chrysler minivan.  Torque moves them cars easily getting 18-20mpg....

If you only got 20mpg with a 620, then you don't know how to tune it mine gets 30 to 32 mpg and runs good enough that people have asked what V6 I have in it. Also my Lexus SC300 with the Supra twin turbo engine gets 25 mpg, and will smoke your Galaxie any time! :fu:

• Like 1

I recently got to go for a ride in the scamp with the 2j. The Two words I had were, holy fuc#! Some people do not understand supra power. There is something to be said about a 12 or 13 second car that you can hold a conversation in while going down the road. Done with fat and heavy v8 power. The scamp did get 27 mpg on the Chevy power tour. So, I say supra power for the win!

If you only got 20mpg with a 620, then you don't know how to tune it mine gets 30 to 32 mpg and runs good enough that people have asked what V6 I have in it. Also my Lexus SC300 with the Supra twin turbo engine gets 25 mpg, and will smoke your Galaxie any time! :fu:

Its not that I don't know how to tune it, just means that something is wrong with it.....  or perhaps it has rolled the odometer over so many times I lost track.  It used to get 30mpg 10 years ago and 3 wraps of the odometer ago. 

BTW I never said my galaxie was fast, but I'll humor you its so fast your lexus don't have a chance today, tomorrow, or any day ever of beating my galaxie....  NOW all you have to do is drive you pos lexus from Colorado to here and race it...  if you don't show, I win, and your lexus is still a pos.

• Like 1

I drove many many cars in my life already.  So far I haven't been impressed by very many of them.  I drove a 07 Chrysler Crossfire, was kinda impressed by it only haveing a V6 in it and being resonably fast.  My old bosses Cadillac Escalade was rather impressive sideways.  There is a 4.6L GT mustang here my dad took on trade, its a terd.  The only impressive thing I saw made by toyota was this old toyota corolla that came in for an oil change, it never had any oil in it, just a crusty dry drain plug and not a drip from the oil pan.  He came in every 3000 miles, dry as a bone, didn't knock or anything oil light solid on.  Nothing new really is overly impressive to me.  Even if they are a good car or a fast car, I just cant get over the "cheap" disposable feel of them.

There are some new technology (new to an old car) things I like and would do to a vintage car, delayed wipers, electronic ignition, internally regulated alternators, disk brakes, etc, but I certainly would never put a modern injected engine in a vintage car. 

Well Mr ford galaxie, I am glad you enjoy your 45 plus year old performance and technology. Your lack of understanding of the 3.0 supra six is obvious. Modestly built I should be seeing 380 to 450 HP with half the engine displacement, compared to my old v8. my motor in the last car it was in put 430 HP to the tire. BTW I would put my money on the Lexus for the win. so why dont you meet him with your 8 mpg. Or perhaps changing oil for a living you cannot afford the trip. If my opinion bothers you then I suggest you rethink when and where you subject others to your opinion.

• Like 1

I think it's okay not to like new tech if that's your thing. Not everyone is into making an engine run as well as it can, get the best mpg it can, the most usable power through it's entire range that it can and so on. Guys like you and I have a hard time grasping not wanting to improve something as best that we can, but for others, they hold other values higher, like traditionalism. It's not my thing, clearly not your either, but it really kind of falls into the "whatever" category. Hell, I'm old enough to remember when no one wanted to buy a car with 100k miles on it because it was worn out and no one even knew what mpg they got. I remember going on camping trips with my family, where every new truck ran like shit when we were above 6000 feet in elevation and vapor locking on big hills, over heating, 6 to 7 mpg and so on. These days, I go that same route, pulling a big camp trailer, I get nearly 20 mpg, can go faster that I would ever want to up any of the passes, with the AC on and in a really quiet cab. It never misses a beat and has never missed a beat in the near 350k miles I have driven it. To me personally, that is great and I love it. But, at the same time, I have friends who love to listen to their engine roar for 700 miles and race each other at 30 mph up hills that I went up at 60 with the cruise control on. It's not really my cup of tea, but they seem to enjoy it. So, to each their own I suppose, it does not really effect me one way or the other.

I just voiced my opinion, used my galaxie as a reference / example, then was attacked saying my galaxie aint shit.  I never claimed it to be anything but an old car.  Its a car I fall back on when its either drive that or not go to work.  It needs a ton of work, motor is tired, transmission leaks, rear end leaks, frame is rusty, the rubber components (bushings ball joints) have rotted off, tires on it are dated 93, but to this day its never let me down.  Its truly an original car, with 45 years or use and under maintained.   I would like to quit driving it and spend some time on it, but my 98 GMC Sonoma just won't keep going down the road.  It has 140k on it but it cant accomplish an 80 mile daily trip to work and back....  but the Galaxie will.  In fact I'll be towing the sonoma to the scrap yard with the galaxie just because I'm tired of messing with it.

I'm not totally against injected vehicles.  I have a S-10 with a mild TBI 350 with a borgwarner 5 speed.  It gets 23mpg daily driving, pull off to the drag strip and run 13.9's on street tires, then go home.  The S-10 is a 89, had a 4.3L TBI in it so the swap was simple and effective.  I built that truck in 2002 in high school, only replaced the parts I've broke beating the crap out of it. 

You are right, I don't have money to drive out there.  Last time I took a trip in my galaixe, I went to Missouri, spent 10 days running around, end up spending 1200$ in gas.  I'm not looking forward to another costly trip like that.  I don't change oil any more, I run a 2000 ton transfer press stamping parts for GM and Honda make $12.25 / hr....... And apparently I'm suppose to feel good about making 12.25 / hr because the average worker at that plant makes 10.  Its a dangerous job, people have lost their lives, lost their hands, been crushed by a loaded bin, got crushed in a press, know of a young single mother that got her leg crushed, had to be amputated, list goes on and on, thats just what I seen in the last year.

No one cares, all we need are smokey burn outs and boost, engine preference is irrelevant, build to suit.

PS: still prefer the sound of any jap motor to the roar of an American v8.

You wouldn't like my Lexus then, dual 4 inch with no mufflers, sounds like a V8 with flowmasters. :rofl:  No turbo lag though! :thumbup: