1970 Plymouth Duster 5MGTE swap

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

today i dropped off the turbo to be upgraded to the .57 trim. now fitting the radiator and intercoller. so far minor mods are necessary. looks as it will go together well!

1130101911.jpg1130101857.jpg

I hope that radiator does the job, I have 2 XJs, and It barely keeps the 200hp jeep cool. I have had to upgrade to aftermarket aluminum 2 row on 1 of mine and a 3 row on the automatic, and they still run warmer than I would like, 210 on the auto, and 190 to 200 on the 5 speed.

i will cross that bridge when i get there. this radiator cost $111.00, so if it fails to cool i will have not lost too badly. i will not be running a/c. i will have an Aux. engine oil cooler aiding in the lowering of engine temp. i hope it works or i will just go-over kill with an aftermarket jeep radiator. at least i have a somewhat common application to work with. the jeep runs a 195 degree T-stat with all cast iron engine and 1.0 liter larger in displacement. i will be looking at 180 max for this. you know, i will be hopeful.

I've got 180 degree thermostats in both my jeeps, along with porting the thermostat housings for better flow, and running Robert Shaw high performance thermostats. I have done every trick I can to get them to run cooler, the next thing I'm going to try is 3 10" fans next, as soon as I have the time and money to spare. That small radiator is a problem in an otherwise great jeep. :(

Very nice Sublime. Question; have you thought about cutting the air scoops on the front the same angle as the spook would be? They would be the same size, but from the side they would blend in with the front spook/spoiler. Just a thought....\

Nice build. Great job....

• 2 weeks later...

i haven't been doing too much lately. though here is what i have so far. i opened the wheel well for the oil cooler, made brackets and mounted the cooler. i have a shield built to protect the cooler from rocks and debris. will post pics when mounted.

1214001536.jpg

i think, i plan on making the scoops solely for fresh air. i have sectioned off a K&N panel filter for fitment. so far so good. still have to make a retaining ring for the filters

1215101348.jpg

• 2 months later...

well so far the pay cut has really taken its toll here, though i am slowly continuing to see this project through. even if it now takes years, like i am anticipating.... i just got the pistons and bearings in. so now the rotating assembly is coming together.

0223111904.jpg

0223111905.jpg

well so far the pay cut has really taken its toll here, though i am slowly continuing to see this project through. even if it now takes years, like i am anticipating.... i just got the pistons and bearings in. so now the rotating assembly is coming together.

0223111904.jpg

0223111905.jpg

You are making better progress than I am, I,ve got the same problem. :(

• 2 weeks later...

well the 7MGTE all assembled and in place. now it is time to coast for a while... i had to make room in the garage for my 79 Rabbit's 1.9 Diesel swap. this lame Ass $4.00 a gallon has me pissed off. though it wont be so bad when my rabbit is sipping fuel at 50 MPG! 50mpg car for under $3000 cant go wrong.

0312011727.jpg

0312011755a.jpg

0312011936.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmmm.. ford in a ford , chevy in a chevy, mopar in a mopar,

with that kind of thinking the list of classics that would have never been is long....

Cobra.. Ford in an AC

Tiger... Ford in a sunbeam.

Interceptor... Mopar in a Jensen

Europa....Renault or Ford/Cosworth in a Lotus

Elise... Toyota in a Lotus

TR8... Buick in a Triumph

to name just a few... :P

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...
  • 10 months later...

I just picked up a ton of parts from Aaron at Driftmotion. I really have to give this guy some props. he went way out of his way to help me. i got some 550cc injectors, 3.5" dia. Aluminum Drive-shaft, clutch master and slave cylinders, so my 14 year old son helped me align the clutch and stuff in the transmission. we set the drive-shaft in and all fits perfectly. we reassembled and installed the steering column. i need to design and fab the trans mounts after i make a few more measurements. looking to pick up the 3 inch turbo outlet and down pipe tomorrow. this thing is coming together pretty well so far.

Alum35indriveline.jpg

IMG01537-20120710-1844.jpg

IMG01540-20120710-1921.jpg

IMG01542-20120710-2010.jpg

IMG01544-20120710-2011.jpg

Way OT. I was considering an RB25 in a flat bottom( I know its been done already !) 18ft boat with a fat turbo and an automatic trans, I only want 400 hp FI and 100+ miles per hr ,the built 383 went 85 easy with terrible gas consumption ,anyway I want to be different with reliability so do what you want with what you got ,I also work on Chevy's in alot of cars mostly 29-36 furds, 350s are almost disposible , I am selling a 327 300hp with factory cast Holley intake #s matching 67 Corvette or Camaro engine re-builder for 600 ,then rebuild for like 800.more< so it adds up.Hope my storage cust. gives me the boat !