• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest 510kamikazifreak

dissecting a Datsun :w00t:

Hoist. Its a rip off, pass..

it over to me :rofl: :thumbup:

• Like 1

That looks alot easier, you pulling the cross member for future ka/sr swap?

I have the tension rods (just in case I may try my hand at adjustable ones) shrug???

Definitely will later remove the engine cross member and LCAs... (just in case I may try my hand at adjustable ones) maybe???

The sway bar seems different than the ones I have.

• 1 month later...

Hey, I have been informed that you an Jassifrass are pretty much the only 710 wagon owners.?

I'm givin away my trim or hopin' to trade it for some Mag lugnuts. if you want any of those bits, they are yours if you want to shell out for postage and wrap

Hey, I have been informed that you an Jassifrass are pretty much the only 710 wagon owners.?

I'm givin away my trim or hopin' to trade it for some Mag lugnuts. if you want any of those bits, they are yours if you want to shell out for postage and wrap

I have a spare set or two?

BTW... the sill trim fits sedan, hardtop, (sorry coupe) and goon. It isn't goon specific.

INDY510 as well :D

Good man !!!

i thought indy sold his? i'm still daily driving mine with a license plate dashboard and no hvac. i got 3.5 windows working now and feel like i'm awesome. i've got a project 521 pickup that came with a sweet set of sidedrafts i've been meaning to try on mine, and a sd22 laying around that is also tempting. someone needs to talk me out of/into spending $600 on a sliding ragtop on it when i get my work bonus haha

• 1 month later...

Picked up a 100 amp alternator and rear disc calipers. 2001 Maxima. The charge cable from the output is as big around as my little finger. I trimmed it long enough so I can just bolt it to my starter lug. The calipers have a pull e brake that I think I can bend so it will mate to my 710.

maxbrakesandalt001Large.jpg

maxbrakesandalt002Large.jpg

It doesn't work but I do have an amp and stereo. There are other good reasons for too much power. Lights are brighter and more stable, wipers go faster and heater blows like a tornado even when idling. In fact you can run everything at idle, and not worry about the battery discharging.

I have a 90 amp from an S13 in my sedan and it's just great.

Yes, another good reason... upgraded lighting. I have the H4? but also may improve them also one day.

The cars are all 50 amp but my 620 is/was only 35/38 amp. I had extra lamps on it and if I drove for more than 10 min the voltage at the battery would drop to 10 and the stereo would crap out. You simply can't have too much alternator.

Haven't put it in yet. It might, '01 was the last year for the VG-DE motor and as I understand it the early '90 Max alternator was supposed to fit.

OK it will fit but weather the pulley lines up I don't know. The stock L series has a fan blade on it, the Max does not. I held the L20B alt up to the Max alt and they are very close. Looks like the stock pulley, when swapped will be very close. Really won't know until I swap the V pulley onto it. Anyway I took some oics....

KA24E block the Max alt. at least fits the mount...

Looking up from below.

maxbrakesandalt004Large.jpg

L20B block the Max alt. fits also...

Looking from above

maxbrakesandalt005Large.jpg

On my 710 goon the KA24E alt. from the 240sx sure wasn't a drop in swap. The case will fit the motor mounting perfectly, but the pulley is too far to the front? (might be the back I forget)' I cut a 1/2" section from the front of the mount (which allows the alt. to move to the rear) and fit an equal size spacer between the alt. arm and the back end of the mount. Had to use a longer mounting bolt for the added 1/2' on the back.

Note the L20B alt. pulley fit and even the nut is the same, BUT the pulley rubs the case. I had to trim a washer/spacer to push it out for clearance.

Well my '77 710 goon is finally no more. Winter is near at hand and my wife's sedan needs to be off the road. My '75 goon is already under a bag and the winter car ('90 Sundance) is just finished being painted and arrives tomorrow. The parts goon has blocked getting into the back yard for about 2 years now. Lately the rear axle was removed the struts are gone and it is just laying there. I phoned a guy who came out this afternoon and dragged it out front and loaded it on a flat bed. Christ the shit that collects... I loaded an old chest freezer, wood stove, Toy 4x4 front axle, a dozen brake rotors, two 620 rad supports, a 620 long box, mufflers and other shit. This does not include the crap I stuffed in the goon itself.

710loadout001Large.jpg

710loadout005Large.jpg

710loadout009Large.jpg

710loadout006Large.jpg

The chest freezer was lifted by the cord and it snapped at max height and fell right into the engine bay. I'd rather be lucky than skilled, right? Well I have all the glass, hatch and 4 doors, motor, tranny, dash, rad support, struts, all the steering, X member, axle and springs and more. Thank-you Jason from The Realm.

• 2 months later...

Turns out the alternator is a 100 Amp unit from an '01 Altima. The Maxima was beside it and while it looks similar it was a bitch to get at. I got it and the two rear Maxima disc brake calipers for $70 so I don't care.

First a comparison shows that the mounting width of the Altima and a 710 L20B 50 amp alternators.... is the same.

100ampAltimaaltswap002Large.jpg

The 710 alt.has a smaller nut than the Altima but the shaft behind is the same diameter.

100ampAltimaaltswap003Large.jpg

100ampAltimaaltswap005Large.jpg

Note the pulley is two piece and the holes are shaped to fit flat spots on the shaft to prevent turning. I used a rat tail file to quickly round them so it would fit the Altima shaft . The fan blades will be left off. My fingers point to two collars or spacers to shim the fan away from the 710 case and the front one the pulley ahead of the fan.

The Altima pulley is for a serpentine belt. Note the bolt.... it has a shoulder and when installed won't reach the threads. Turning it over works but not possible to get my electric impact on it to tighten...

100ampAltimaaltswap006Large.jpg

I used one of the spacers (the left, small one) from the 710 alt. on the Altima shaft to space the two pulley halves forward or they rub the case. Less thick and there is rub.... more and there are less threads for the securing bolt.

100ampAltimaaltswap007Large.jpg

100ampAltimaaltswap009Large.jpg

Bought a nut that fits. There's about 4 threads, looks like less I know. Haven't tightened it on yet. Will look into maybe grinding some extra clearance on the case and moving the pulley back. The KA alt was way less bother but I'll get it.

Here's why...

100ampAltimaaltswap012Large.jpg

The cable from the output is as thick as the one from my 710 battery to starter!!!!

100ampAltimaaltswap013Large.jpg