My '76 710 Goon

datzenmike

• Replies 867
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sweeet! I'm just catching up on this, good to know I'm not the only one working before the event. It just occurred to me out distributors also share a name of a certain Canadian outdoors comedy show. Anyone else see that? :D

Today it took 10 min to swap the steering wheel out of my old 620 and install. The 710 wheel while period correct is a bit thin and a bitch on the hands when driving. The wheel is like trying to grasp a piece of wire. Anyway my zx wheel:

BEFORE

710stuff002Large.jpg

AFTER

710dressupLarge.jpg

My rebuild kit arrived. Can't find a 15/16" 280zx master anywhere so will build it.

710brakes005Large.jpg

Here is the residual valve from the stock master. This is likely a stronger spring for the drum rears. The zx master is for rear disc and will likely need swapping.

710brakes004Large.jpg

Today it took 10 min to swap the steering wheel out of my old 620 and install. The 710 wheel while period correct is a bit thin and a bitch on the hands when driving. The wheel is like trying to grasp a piece of wire. Anyway my zx wheel:

Same reason I ditched the stock wheel...my hands felt like they wanted to wrap around it twice...

It's not just me then!!! Last year driving to Canby I had to keep pulling my hands off the wheel and un-curl them.

You are not alone, Mike...

Master rebuilt... took 2 hrs of being careful. Ran two lengths of brake line from the parts car up into the reservoirs, installed it and filled it. Pumped it.... a lot. Lots of foamy bubbles. Finally got Mrs. d to pump while I watched. 7-8 short quick followed by one long one all the way down seemed to eventually clear it. After two tries and no further bubbles I reconnected the car lines. This is as far as I wanted to get today.

Guest 510kamikazifreak

Finally got Mrs. d to pump while I watched. 7-8 short quick followed by one long one all the way down seemed to eventually.

:blink: :blink: :rofl:

I had to , it was there .. :w00t:

Finally got Mrs. d to pump while I watched. 7-8 short quick followed by one long one all the way down seemed to eventually clear it.... After two tries and no further bubbles ... This is as far as I wanted to get today.

Bled the brake system.... seems OK. I will adjust the E brake some and maybe make it better tomorrow. Went and got insurance and a plate. Eat shit bitches!!!!!!

Licenceinsuranceday14tpCanby001Large.jpg

The lady at the insurance counter said would you like a 710? You got one? I said. This is what she handed me. She was super cool about it and said her sister had a 210 Datsun.

Runs crappy once warmed up and the choke is off. Only runs well when the secondary in in. So carb comes off tomorrow.

Guest 510kamikazifreak

Thats awesome(the plate) Mike..

I always ask the "brokers" if they have 510 get the dumbfounded huh look.

I have had a few of them still have the the first one I ever got,but only have 1 misplaced the other :blink:

Now only if your the letters went FTW :cool: that would be slick

The white car has 072(its a 72) :lol:

Wll have driven into town 3-4 times and into work today. Steering is 'funny'. Can't describe it bettr than that. I instlled Maxima struts and cut 710 springs and havent even looked at camber or toe. Sometimes the car pulls gently to the left. It seems like the pass side front is slightly lower than the drivers side. I'll find some level ground and look at the alignment.

The severe bog when warmed up is now gone and off idle is just great. I was going to swap my parts carb on but it is such a bitch to get it off I gave up Sunday morning and removed the sight glass and float. I cut a 12mm spanner and removed the primary jet plug under the float chamber. Sprayed carb cleaner up in there from both directions to flush it out. Works good. Accelerates hard and long through the gears. Exhaust is quiet and there is no sound from the 5 speed. I drove it down a decending right hand turn with dips in the pavement and the front doesn't bottom. 20W fork oil seems to damp pretty good. 1 1/2 710 coils removed stiffens from 100 to about 150 spring rate. Brakes seen very good now with the 15/16 master and Maxima front calipers. Need to drive it more.

Drove to work in it today. What a dream come true. My 620 was baawse, but in another way. This thing accelerates in every gear. I tried a few bumps to see if there is any harshness but seems well damped and nice and firm.