My '76 710 Goon

datzenmike

OK pulled the standard box and by loosening the brake master, taking the EGR manifold off the side of the intake,(and the studs) loosen the motor mount and jack the motor, grind a bump of the exhaust manifold, move the brake line distribution fitting and disconnect the throttle linkage.... I was able to get the PS box in. I guess I did a good job ovaling the mounting bolt holes because the bolts slipped right in.

Rag joint is near flush with firewall.

PSongoon016Large.jpg

From inside the car with floor pulled up steering column removed.

PSongoon015Large.jpg

So I did some experimenting with my spate column. Got it mostly apart.

Found out it is collapsible. I have a carbide burr and will cut the welds on the coupling for the rag joint. Slide the sheath off and section below the collapsing spline and weld it back together. Replace the outer sheath, slip the rag joint coupling back on (it also has small splines) and weld securely. The difference looks to be 4".

This is my good steering column...

PSongoon021Large.jpg

Weld on L&R sides that has to be trimmed away and then welded back on after shortening.

PSongoon020Large.jpg

Before I commit to shortening my one and only steering column I think it wise to swap all the power steering lines, pump, belt and adjust

• Replies 867
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well if I 'fuck it up' I'll steal the column out of the sedan and revert back to regular steering for Canby!!!!!! Then take you up on that offer. :lol:  Ohhh yah!

I came soooo close with the spare. I hammered on the rag joint end and managed to collapse it in 4" and even mounted it under the dash. I was like WOOT! But then noticed that the steering wheel turned but the end didn't. I guess the telescoping column has an internal spline and I used it all up and it slid off the end inside. When I hammer it back out slightly the spline engages but what if it is only 1./8" or something? and comes uncoupled??? F that! I'll section it properly and leave the telescoping part fully engaged.

So yesterday I concentrated on getting the pump and drive belt in. Took the rad out and removed the plastic fan. The plastic windshield reservoir was in the way so I heated it and made a dimple in it. Managed to get both hard lines on the car and at least bolted to the PS box. What a bitch with an air con pump on the driver's side. Had to loosen the output pipe and turn towards the rear so it didn't hit the battery tray. The pressure line and the return are in place but not connected for now.

Still have to swap the three belt crank pulley on and get the electric fuel pump from the 620 and install.

• 2 weeks later...

Fuck it takes an hour to take something out of a car and four days to put it back right. Time is flying and I get bogged dow.n on small things.

Three belt rank pulley on.

Pressure and return lines connected, PS fluid in. Belt on and tensioned.

Pump required more support so I made a triangular bracket. Much better

Plastic bladse would have rubbed the new belt tensioner so I flipped the fan blaces backwards and that moves them forward towards the rad and inch or more.

Installed the rad and hoses as well as the shroud. Fan clears nicely but power steering pump, tensioner and belt sure eats up space.

Pulled the electric fuel pump off my 620. need to get it in the goon so I can start the motor.

When running I can purge the air from the PS system and see if it going to work. Then I shorten the steering column

Got to get it running and trouble shoot everything before the Canby trip. Damn....damn ... damn

Well I have taken it as far as I possibly can and have failed. The PS box refuses to turn past center and to the right. Seems to jam. So I removed it and got the old one back in. The Pump can be removed and the mechanical pump replaced. Steering column needs to be put back. If I had more time... but Canby looms too close. Well I will have to find another 200sx PS box I guess... everything is done but the column shortening... maybe some other time.. 

Any wrecking yards down Oregon way that might have an S110 second gen 200sx? with PS???

Well had to remove everything I made for this swap. There's no other way. Swapped the crank pulley and fuel pump back in. Had to get a new cotter pin for the pitman arm. Should have it together this weekend and get

er running next week. Need to drive it around and shake out any problems.

I'll try Picknpull.com thanks

Pick-n-Pull - Portland South   [More Information]

6241 SE 111th Avenue
Portland, OR 97266 US   503-760-5820

Store Layout Map  |  Part Pricing

Make Model Year Row Date On Yard Datsun 200SX 81 0030 04/26/2013

Rad back in and column in and connected to box. Put wrong f pump on, got it straight and it's in and plumbed. Needs lower rad hose and and column bolted to dash.

Ran out of grease for the ball joints so the pass side has to sit till tomorrow. Sanded the surface rust off the rotors.

I'm going to put all the pieces for this project away somewhere for a future date and try again.

Should have running tomorrow and some insurance. Been driving the sedan a lot lately. 32K on it now and puuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrs along. Bump the starter starts and right to fast idle, tap the gas it drops, click into reverse and back out of the drive way, never stalls when cold. Just amazing.

Running! Water all over under the intake.... turns out I loosened the thermostat cover bolt (for what I don't know) tightened and ok. Ran in driveway for 1/2 hour and no leaks or problems. There was a huge line up for insurance said fukitall.

A  thank you to Len and DPT for trying so hard to track down a PS box for me, a special thanks to Eagle Adam for pulling one from an S11 on a Sunday and saving it for me. Wow that's above and beyond. I still want to build this.

Ahh, you got the pitman arm off.  Well that's good. Couldn't get the arm off the power box and it was so close I was going to run with it.... now I have the 710 arm off the stock box and it can just go on that on. This is even more win. Fuckin' A

Should work on a 610 as well.

When I finish this I'm shortening the hard lines. On my truck I used brass fittings and a flaring tool. The 200sx must be slightly wider and there's too much line across the front of the cross member just above/behind the sway bar. It was all bent up and twisted looking. I wasn't happy with the looks and the hydraulic flex hose up beside the alternator was all loopy and almost kinked. The return line is really not subjected to any pressure and just returns fluid to the pump reservoir, so simple hose and hose clamps will work there. Normally the two lines are clamped neatly to the cross member.

Was thinking of installing an electric fuel pump anyway as a theft prevention.

Well it rained every day this week. Today I installed my factory tach. Again Will thank you.

Yes that's the original mileage under 50K

710goontachLarge.jpg

Also got some wiper refills... I guess they're $4 each not a pair. Installed them they look good.

• Like 2

Think I've had it 3 years, 2 for sure. Had to disconnect the speedo and remove the complete instrument cluster with radio and clock... what a bitch. Clam shell off and unbolted the steering column for room.

I ran a wire from it to the coil (everything else was plug 'n pay) and just now realized that there may have been a wire taped up in the harness. :lol:  Never even looked. Oh well.

Swapped our new battery in for the trip. No sense wasting it sitting in an uninsured car. The vertical felt window channels are always sliding down and the wind whistles. Contact cemented them this AM. Also pulled my two 10" woofs from storage and plugged them in in the back. Added two more front speakers from..... a Jaguar. Yup found one being scrapped and got 4 in door speakers for $5. Sound alright too. If they are going to blow it will be Thursday. I'm taking Thurs. off and starting my pilgrimage to Canby. The plan is to go across to Port Angeles and down the west coast of Washington/Oregon across the Columbia and wander over south of Portland. No rush, sight see and arrive fresh some time Friday and watch the Datsuns roll in.