My '76 710 Goon

datzenmike

• Replies 867
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I had some time to use today and I hate having to do stuff just because it needs doing so I messed around on my rear disc project. Not expecting to get it done for Canby but I'm picking away at it. Rather than take the car off the road I'm going to take the rear end out of the parts car and mock it up on it and then transfer the finished product onto the goon.

Drum brake H-165 from '77 710 goon.710discbrakeproject001Large.jpg

Pop out the axles.

710discbrakeproject002Large.jpg

Drum axle and 200sx axle.

710discbrakeproject003Large.jpg

200sx axle with caliper brackets bolted in.

710discbrakeproject004Large.jpg

With caliper roughly in the position I want. Had to grind some clearance on the bracket and also on the caliper body. Will also have to get some metal and weld to the bracket to properly space the caliper. Hoping the piston is not seized and will take apart.

710discbrakeproject005Large.jpg

When I installed the Maxima struts and lowered it, it seemed to steer alright. Drove to Canby and all I can say is the suspension felt a lot firmer. Steering was a bit of an effort but I'm used to PS on my old 620. So I drive my sedan and it's slightly easier but it has 13" rubber bands on it and the goon has 14" and 185/70 or something but wider for sure. So I figured it was the wider tires.and forgot about it.

So I kept the rims but put 215/60R14 on and much wider tires and the steering is way easier... so WTF??? So today I checked the front alignment with string. Over 9 meters or just over 29 feet if the front tires were allowed to roll ahead by themselves they would have been about 8" further apart than when on the car. So I loosened the adjustment and turned them in so I have about 2" of toe in. It isn't perfect but 8" of toe out is got to be worse.

So I took her for a drive yesterday evening and there was quite a difference. The car tends to resist turning slightly but not in a bad way, more like more input from the road, whereas before with the toe out it was almost like PS and was soft. The car didn't wander all over but it felt like you had to be on top of it all the time. Now it needs much less attention. Gave it a couple of hard lane changes when traffic permitted and it was very stable.

I put some big ass truck shocks on the back at first to help with the steering but turns out it was the toe.

Fuck me the brakes really pull the speed down fast with the Maxima calipers/vented rotors and 215/60s!!! The other tires would just lock up.

The good thing is I have a sedan to compare them too. I would say that the larger width tires help too with more traction. I can put my face into the steering wheel stopping in town where the other tires I had would just lock up. The down side is wet pavement lock up pretty easy. Keep your eyes open for a 15/16 master for them also... you'll need it. I'll be watching for you at Canby jon

Can't tell you how great it feels to be driving my 710. I peddle a bike to work all year and for a few short months in the summer I have the car insured. Right now it's cool to mild and the sun is welcome and warm. Still not hot and humid and driving is just great.

• 3 weeks later...

Was in the local 'yard' today and found these rear calipers...

710discbrakeproject006Large.jpg

They're on an '01 Maxima, have single non vented rotor and the e brake pull is similar to the zx and could be modified to work I think. Best of all is the symmetry of front and rear Maxima calipers. I took some measurements and pictures and will compare to the 200sx axle and zx rotor.

710discbrakeproject007Large.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

NEW MEAT!

Well I swapped some new rubber on my rims. Used a large plank resting on the tire and just drove my sedan up the ramp and popped the tire off the bead front and back. A little soapy water and a tire iron and... the last tire I did was about 3 min to pry off. The first was probably 40 min till I figured it out. A total of eight tires off rims and four put on. One yesterday the rest to-day

Never cared for the raised white lettering on the tires that came on the 200sx rims.... way to 70s.

Newmeat001Large.jpg

Newmeat003Large.jpg

Newmeat004Large.jpg

Finally took her out for a run. These tires are much softer than the ones that were on it. The old ones felt like you were on rails ... hard and it took a conscious effort to make driving corrections. Now the car seems eager to turn. It doesn't wander but it takes very little input to move it over. It's probably a case of being used to the old and just having to adjust. In corners the old ones felt nice but if forced, they reached a point where they felt like they were going to peel off the rims. Can't really describe it any other way. The 'new' ones didn't exhibit this at all even with the junk in the dash tray spilling out and the sub speaker box flopping over on it's side in a turn.... or I just didn't hammer the turn hard enough.

Nice work Mike! What are the plans for the old rims?

You can have 'em back if you want. I was evenntually going to pollish them up and take to Canby? or???

BTW I was thinking of biking down island at the end of the summer and was wondering if I could 'crash' in your yard? Just nice to have somewhere off the road.

You can have 'em back if you want. I was evenntually going to pollish them up and take to Canby? or???

BTW I was thinking of biking down island at the end of the summer and was wondering if I could 'crash' in your yard? Just nice to have somewhere off the road.

Take em to Canby and sell em for sure! Pay for your gas and ferry maybe?

You are more than welcome to crash at my place Mike. I have a privacy fence across the driveway now and a locked gate. Crazy neighbour keeps the key and watches it like a hawk! If you let me know when you will be arriving I can let him know and he will let you in.

• 2 weeks later...

Dollar a pound black licorice

Well only a half day at work... I figured this so I drove my goon in. On the way home I dropped in at the scrappers and... got this...

weldingcableLarge.jpg

An extension cord for my MIG welder. Right now I have to be on the deck with it plugged into the drier outlet. It appears to be 8 gauge 4 wire. I layed it out and it's at least 35 meters long !!! (about 115feet) So it will reach anywhere on my property. I would be happy if it reached into the driveway. I didn't stretch it out that way but it should reach the street. $ a pound I got $50 worth.

Wow! !!!! Excellent score :hyper:

I remember ACE Hardware around the corner from me wanted like $8 a foot for that stuff ( I could be wrong but I remember it being at least that) .

I have 30ft extension for my flux welder but damn 115ft ... you made out like a bandit !!!!

Nust don't let the tweekers see it :-/

I don't think I need to get all the way out to the wood shed/parts overflow stash to weld. Driveway would be great for direct work on cars. 20meters would be plenty for that. Damn the full piece was about $78 so it was likely 150 foot long. Have to splice a drier plug on the end.

• 2 weeks later...

So to prevent a divorce after 21 weeks of wedded bliss I am making an effort to clean up the 710 parts car of everything I need off of it so it can be scrapped. Number one is lift the motor and auto out. Only thing holding it in is the mmts a couple of hoses and plugs. A buddy came over with an engine hoist and informs me that the owner would rather that I just buy it rather than bring it back. It all bolts together. I've used them before but have no idea... Is $50 too much?

enginehoistLarge.jpg