My '76 710 Goon

datzenmike

OK, on the weekend I happened on a roll of closed pile carpet, black!!! I got it and another roll of dark brown for Mrs.D's sedan. I have the zx seats out while wiring the stereo so easy to lift the original carpet out. There's a long tunnel cover and two front and back foot carpets. I layed them out flat and duct taped around the outside edge.

710carpet001Large.jpg

Old carpet template removed

710carpet002Large.jpg

I used tin snips and they worked just great.

710carpet003Large.jpg

To start a hole just fold double and cut, unfold and you have a slit to get the tin snip blade into

710carpet004Large.jpg

This is the driver's side foot well with the slot for the accelerator peddle to stick up through. I'll probably cut the original heel and ankle pads off the old carpet and glue to this one.

710carpet005Large.jpg

Here's the tunnel carpet installed, and it came out alright.

710carpet006Large.jpg

The cut edges were at risk of fraying so to prevent this I used one of those bar-b-q lighters to singe and melt the loose ends and seal them. The underside backing was a white color so I used black vinyl paint to darken the edges so they don't show. I would like to cover everything with sound deadener first. Under the rear seat and back is already done. I'll post more pictures as I finish up and fit them.

• Replies 867
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That is a SERIOUS pair of carpet hammers!

710carpet006Large.jpg

I'm curious if a carpet shop would be able to sew up the edges - or maybe they would charge a lot for the work?

The texture of the stuff you found looks pretty close to the original material. Where did you find it?

Canadian SuperStore.... sort of like a WallMart with groceries. Hardly ever go there but glad I did. There were three rolls sitting on a skid, leftovers? I've never seen just black before and a closed loop pile? I knew it was right as soon as I saw it. If these fit well I'll use them to cut out a brown set for the sedan.

Hey Will while I have you.... Do you have any idea how that tach is wired up to the 710?

I can't remember if you have the 1-wire tach, or the one that works as part of the coil circuit. ...I think that you might have the 1-wire one, but I'm not sure since I sent it out so long ago, and the 710 is in Syracuse so I can't peek under the dash and check!

The one wire tach is the one that has an extra little electronic box on the back that connects to the gauge cluster at one of the speedometer screws.

One of the tachs worked by hooking up to the coil with a long wire with several resistors all wired in parallel. The other one worked with two wires going to the coil, so that if the tach became disconnected, the car would stop running. Sorry I can't be more precise - it's been a few months since I studied up on tach wiring diagrams!

I thought about it a little bit more, and I think this is how it was plugged in:

plain black wire: through firewall and to coil, with resistors spliced into the wire

from one of your old posts:

"The 720s, S110 and ZX also use a 2.2K ohn resistor in line between the coil neg and the tach."

wire with female flat spade connector: (it was yellow or orange or red, I think) plugged into grounding male spade connector riveted to the cluster circuitboard

black w/white stripe wire loop: there is a black and white striped wire with a snap-together connection in the harness near the main plug socket that connects to the cluster. Unplug this connection and plug the black w/white stripe wires into the matching connectors.

-I think that is it! (but those are just the wires I remember.)

Finished drivers side front and rear carpets...

710carpet009Large.jpg

Used them to mark out line with chalk on the brown carpet for the sedan. Yes there is a slight pattern but I think it will look alright when done.

710carpet008Large.jpg

Again, I used the black ones to mark out and then cut the sound deadener. It's actually 1/4" roll on roofing. Cuts easily and cleanly with tin snips. To mold into floor contours just heat with a propane torch and press into place. The carpet will cover it all.

710carpet010Large.jpg

Driver's side with that mushy fiber sound deadener removed.

710carpet014Large.jpg

710carpet015Large.jpg

My roll on roofing tar cut to the carpet size and trimmed to lay flat. The carpet on the tunnel has to come out and be used as a template to cut the roll on roofing and trimmed to match up to the floor pieces.

710carpet016Large.jpg

Carpet installed unfortunately had to use flash which does not shoe the black very well.

710carpet017Large.jpg

This is the pass side and you can see how nice and black the carper really is.

710carpet011Large.jpg

Crimped the connectors on the sub wiring. The subs can be quickly disconnected from the wires at the back and have lugs on the amp end for good contact.

Guest 510kamikazifreak

Mikes just cleaning up the home away from home..He really didnt like the grass in Oregon :w00t:

I like this(no more likes I need to hit up IPS :rofl: :sneaky: )

• Like 1

wait do all canadians have land lines still? did you guys get cell phones yet? :P

progress is lookin great man. you're makin my carpetless, dashboardless, 2 speaker havin 710 wagon lookin more and more busty by the day.

Hey, we invented the phone. Google "Ma Bell"

To do list for this summer: (no particular order)

1/ rear disc brakes. Need the calipers but have the 200sx axles. Probably the last on the list as this is really a cosmetic thing.

2/ power steering. Have everything from an '80 200sx

3/ swap on wider P215/60R14 maybe if they clear and I have PS.

4/ Swap in 4.11 diff from wife's car.

5/ Build mongrel FS5W71B using zx and CA18ET 5 speeds.

1st... 2.972

2nd.. 1.702

3rd... 1.171

4th... 1.000

5th... 0.745

well sin

wait do all canadians have land lines still? did you guys get cell phones yet? :P

wireless signals were sent from Canada across the atlantic before the states so yes we do have cell phones and a major player in cellphones R.I.M. is located in Canada and manufactures the BlackBerry :ninja: :P

http://en.wikipedia....der_Graham_Bell

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BlackBerry

710carpet023Large.jpg

OK all the sound deadener is in. Carpet isn't totally in place so I can bundle and run the power, RCA cords and speaker wires under it.

710carpet019Large.jpg

Found this handy fused add on. I used to just lift the fuse and clip the bare wire under the end and clip it back in place. I found a threaded hole on the B+ buss in the fuse box. Unfortunately this was on all the time so I drilled a small hole on the other switched side and secured the fused line with a self tapping screw. Used shrink wrap. Still need another line from the fused side of the interior light/horn fuse so I have a constant supply for presets and clock memory. Fuck it I'm done for the day.

710carpet021Large.jpg

Well the next project is 215/60R14 tires. I pried two tires off the rims by hand Tuesday and swapped one tire onto my 710 rim. Mmmm meaty. The old tires will go on 14" slots and hopefully then, the sedan.

busting tires the old fashioned way is a bitch isnt it mike

You know it. I did at least 3 complete sets on my 620. Put a board on the tire and drove my wife's car up the incline to pop them off the rim. Soapy water and tire irons. But it works when you have time and no money. A friend helped me and was quite impressed that you could actually do this without a machine. lol

Dont forget to retorque them wheels Mike :sneaky:

Yes lou.

:rofl:

I drove the goon around the block a few times to test the tire clearance and am blown away by how much quieter the car is inside now. I covered the cargo area, under the back seat and everything forward of that including the tunnel and then new carpet. I love it!!!!

Well the next project is 215/60R14 tires. I pried two tires off the rims by hand Tuesday and swapped one tire onto my 710 rim. Mmmm meaty. The old tires will go on 14" slots and hopefully then, the sedan.

you guys get better tire selection north of the border? the only thing i ever find in that size is bfg radial ta's for like 110 a piece, while 195/60's are like 60 each for pretty decent ones... 440ish for a set of 4 14's isn't the price range where i'd be removing my own tires haha.

NEW MEAT!

Well I swapped some new rubber on my rims. Used a large plank resting on the tire and just drove my sedan up the ramp and popped the tire off the bead front and back. A little soapy water and a tire iron and... the last tire I did was about 3 min to pry off. The first was probably 40 min till I figured it out. A total of eight tires off rims and four put on. One yesterday the rest to-day

Never cared for the raised white lettering on the tires that came on the 200sx rims.... way to 70s.

Newmeat001Large.jpg

Newmeat003Large.jpg

Newmeat004Large.jpg

Finally took her out for a run. These tires are much softer than the ones that were on it. The old ones felt like you were on rails ... hard and it took a conscious effort to make driving corrections. Now the car seems eager to turn. It doesn't wander but it takes very little input to move it over. It's probably a case of being used to the old and just having to adjust. In corners the old ones felt nice but if forced, they reached a point where they felt like they were going to peel off the rims. Can't really describe it any other way. The 'new' ones didn't exhibit this at all even with the junk in the dash tray spilling out and the sub speaker box flopping over on it's side in a turn.... or I just didn't hammer the turn hard enough.

• 2 weeks later...

Remember those S110 rear axles I have? You know the ones. Rear disc brake..... We today I got a pair of zx rear calipers and rotors for them and if I can just get them to fit the 200sx mounts, we're away. I knew that 15/16" master was the right way to go.

S110 axle

710reardiscbrakes001Large.jpg

280zx turbo rotors

710reardiscbrakes002Large.jpg

Mock up with caliper. It doesn't quite bolt on so will install the axle and bolt down so the rotor seats all the way back. Then do some measuring.

710reardiscbrakes004Large.jpg.

There was a post today about what happens when a bad U joint is ignored and isn't replaced. So I got to work on my driveshaft. Ever since the body drop there has been a droning sound at speed. I can't ignore it any longer, so I removed the driveshaft. I used a torpedo level and a compass to measure the angle on the differential flange then the end of the transmission. Because the U joint turns through an ellipse and not a circle it has to speed up and slow down as it turns. The sharper the angle the more it has to do this. Because the driveshaft is forced to spin at a steady speed this translates into a vibration. The trick is to have two U joints with equal and 180 degree opposite angles. When one is speeding up the other is slowing down and the vibration is greatly reduced or cancelled. As long as both the diff and the transmission are parallel to each other the angle formed from the tranny to the driveshaft has to equal the driveshaft to the differential.

I found the differential tilted up slightly compared to the transmission being more level to the ground. The fix could be to lower the tail of the transmission or tilt the front of the differential downward. Yeah the diff would be much easier. I used my trusty electric impact wrench to loosen the U bolts on both sides and I slipped a small steel shim between the 2" block and the leaf spring on both sides. All I had was something about 1/8" but it tilted the front down just about perfect when the U bolts were tightened up. Installed the driveshaft and went for a drive. Seemed quieter to me. Couldn't seem to find that droning hum. If nothing else there is the peace of mind knowing that it's lined up right now.