datzenmike

• Replies 867
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Swapped the mags.

710strutupgrade010Large.jpg

I'm not feelin' the mags, Mike. We need to find you another set of the S110 wheels

Or swazis... :cool:

The American Racing mags are on Mrs. d's car only because they fit the wheel wells, and she likes them. Seriously, even her car needs to be lowered in the front too. The 200sx factory mags are on the goon because it sits too low right now.

It seems to work now.

Put it in and pushed down and it was stuck, broke it loose, no fluid moving peddle very soft, took out and piston is in and stuck, got it loose, installed (for the 3rd time) and fluid now moves, got some air out of one caliper but you could hold the pressure back with finger over bleeder hose, then noticed the other bleeder was open (duh) pissed fluid all over the tire, cleaned up, tightened it, bled it thoroughly with new juice and the other side and peddle is now rock hard.

Tomorrow I'll bleed the rears to get new fluid into the system. One rear cylinder looked wet so will pull the parts car ones off and try them.

Went to my Nissan dealer and they are looking up to see if they have any wheel cylinders or kits, rebuild kits for a 7/8 or 15/16 master and rebuild kits for the Maxima calipers.... just in case.

It seems to work now.

Put it in and pushed down and it was stuck, broke it loose, no fluid moving peddle very soft, took out and piston is in and stuck, got it loose, installed (for the 3rd time) and fluid now moves, got some air out of one caliper but you could hold the pressure back with finger over bleeder hose, then noticed the other bleeder was open (duh) pissed fluid all over the tire, cleaned up, tightened it, bled it thoroughly with new juice and the other side and peddle is now rock hard.

Tomorrow I'll bleed the rears to get new fluid into the system. One rear cylinder looked wet so will pull the parts car ones off and try them.

Went to my Nissan dealer and they are looking up to see if they have any wheel cylinders or kits, rebuild kits for a 7/8 or 15/16 master and rebuild kits for the Maxima calipers.... just in case.

Right on :thumbup:

Sounds like she's gonna work :cool:

Hopefully the weather hold up this weekend :unsure:

Man what a bitch. Stressed out much??? I don't know what was wrong with the one that was on it or the parts car... they were working. Well anyway, the pads have moved in against the rotors and look dead sexy.

Need to fill tranny, change rear end oil, fire up and set the carb and do an oil & filter change and replace the dark looking clutch fluid. Sweet talk Mrs d into getting me some insurance and take for a drive. Still may have to adjust front end height if it rubs on dips in the road.When front set must look at lowering the back to make even.

Congrats on the gOOn Mike :thumbup: Shes a beauty. If you ever need any help with technical stuff feel free to ask. We here @ Ratsun nation are here for your newbness ;)

Yeah, I guess I am a 710 noob. I got my sedan before X mass in '09 and got it on the road for Canby.... and my wife took it away from me. I got the goon last August and drove it 10Km home and it had to sit parked until the spring when I could work on it. Damn I want to drive it.

Filled with 2 1/3 liters of synthetic gear oil and changed the engine oil and NAPA gold filter installed.

Things to do:

The front long bolt in the thermostat housing is broken off so only the back is holding. I have a half dozen heads to get one off, just gotta do it. I can smell a sweet coolant odor in the air when running.

Valve clearance tick near the front. Have to set the valves and check head torque anyway.

Have to look and see if I have a high volume oil pump so I can swap in a shiny 'new' matchbox from a '79 620 camper and some previously enjoyed NGK wires for it.

Want to change the rear end to synthetic oil.

Pursuing a sweet coolant smell I found one of the thermostat housing bolts broken off. This absolutely figures as most previous owners didn't pay much for the car and don't want to spend the time and money to fix right. So try as hard as I could I broke the short bolt off. The bolts get stuck in the housing and not in the head. I couldnt pry the housing off the bolt ends so I sliced into it.

710motor002Large.jpg

Bolt ends now almost twist out by hand.

710motor003Large.jpg

The replacement housing was the same. Broken bolt. Drilled out the stuck bolt.

710motor004Large.jpg

Had to make my own gasket. Installed the housing but first I dipped the bolts in lithium grease so they won't stick in the housing again.

710motor005Large.jpg

Oh yeah, the thermostat? A 160F can you believe it? These motors were designed to run 25 to 30 degrees warmer for best economy and performance. 160F thermostats are so 1950. This is so wrong headed. It get's a new 185 tomorrow.

Today, finished setting the valve lash. The cam gear has a big gash in it because the after market POS fuel pump arm is so sloppy it can swing side to side far enough to hit it. Never liked the looks of them either, so I cut the back lawn and found a few genuine Nissan pumps and put one back in it.

POS...

710motor006Large.jpg

Naturally while looking for my L pumps I find two thermostat housings (one 2 bolt and one 3 bolt) all ready to install. The one I have I don't like so may swap it............. again. Found a nice matchbox dizzy (minus the module) and my sedan L18 single point dizzy with only 24K miles on it.

There's an H233 4.625 LSD, Z24i CAS, 2 at least 620 windshields, 710 sedan rear window, L20B Z22 ans Z24 pistons on rods, Z22 crank maybe an L20B crank, 620 tail light lenses, Volvo SUs, and that's just the stuff on top.

Ordered a brake MC rebuild kit from Nissan for my 15/16 280zx master. They sent me a kit for the clutch master... assholes. "No problem we'll order.... Oh, not available". Good bye! NAPA has one, it's in Tuesday.

Differential oil replaced with synthetic.

EI Swap.

I got this EI Matchbox last fall. It's from a '79 Cab Chassis option 620 with a camper that was scrapped. So first is to pop the stocker out

710goonEIdizzy004Large-1.jpg

Oh look! The previous owner snapped the mounting bolt off and didn't bother to fix it.

710goonEIdizzy005Large.jpg

Naturally it snapped off flush. Drilled it out and was very lucky.

710goonEIdizzy009Large-1.jpg

Cleaned the matchbox up. Remover the igniter module and cleaned all the grease, dirt and spider webs out so air can circulate and cool it.

710goonEIdizzy002Large.jpg

Nissan even marked the positions of the red and green wires. Nice.

710goonEIdizzy003Large-1.jpg

710goonEIdizzy007Large-1.jpg

I used separate wires instead of a T plug for now. Marked the +12 wire with red tape. Will clean it up and wrap the wiring with black tape later to dress it up. The '76 cap fit right on. Used the '79 base that came with it and the rotor was pointing in the same direction. Fired right up!!

Coil wiring was easy. I cut the start wire as it isn't needed. Switched the wiring over to an EI coil and ran a power wire from the Black/White on the + side of the coil to the matchbox and.... done. The rubber cover doesn't fit the smaller coil, will replace later. Coil bolted to the two mounting screw holes like it was made for it.

710goonEIdizzy008Large-1.jpg

While the dizzy was out I re- replaced the thermostat housing with a good one I found while finding something else. Check the through nut and bolt fix by previous owner. Probably stripped it and drilled it through. This is shit I would have done in the '70s.

710goonEIdizzy006Large-1.jpg

Totally missed the rapture at 3 so I celebrated with peanut butter, strawberry and banana rolled up in a tortilla shell with some coffee and had my own rapture.