• Replies 769
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

lol I found one random SU cleaner in the buckets kev :rofl:

got the air cleaners done and on.

P9080006.jpg

the rear hits the break booster so I had to shape a big dent basically to fit in against the booster.

Iv got to twist the filter just to get that on.

the VW cleaners have a hole right in the middle to screw the cleaner cover on and its snug against the booster so no way thats working.

Im going to drill new holes so it has a two bolt mount on the sides.

P9080007.jpg

P9080010.jpg

P9080013.jpg

anyone running SUs on a 620 have any advise to fitting cleaners better?

I thought I heard my name...

You will want the EMPI filter 8957. It is 1 inch smaller in height than the 8970 that you have here. I encountered the identical same problem when I installed the filters on ruckycharm's truck, and I was going to post a complete writeup regarding the install as soon as time was allowable. But, you beat me to it...

• Like 2

looking good. sounds like a shorter air filter will help for now. I had to cut my hood to fit the downdraft on my wagon, but before I did, I contemplated making a small polished aluminum housing to fit over the carburetor and then using aluminum tubing to route to a cold air intake set up. That would probably work well for this kind of a set up, but people might think it looks retarded on a car with carbs(and no forced induction), so I tossed the idea in the scrap bin.

hey i have the same deck...

so what kind of milage do those SUs get?

its fryed :rofl: I just threw it in there cuz I was sick of looking at a big hole

no idea, Iv never cared on any car :lol: Iv built with performance in mind, never gas milage

I am a fan of the SU's..... The power gain was good. Of course I had lost fuel mileage with them but that is to be expected. :D

Not sure. If set right they should be as good or better for economy. For one thing there is no accelerator pump squirting gas into the carb.

Do my mod and you can have two temp guages man. One before and after the thermostat... Stock and after market... The thermostat housing is from a mazda miata. I like it since it tells you if your thermostat failed.

I am running both actually, but only cuz i hate looking at a dead gauge.

a "Cold - Hot" temp gauge is utterly useless to me, If it dosent tell me the actual temp its fuckin garbage lol

Those valve seats look to be around .180" wide. They should be .055 int., .070 ex. Time for a valve grind. Shape with 15,30,45,60,75 deg. cuts for optimum flow.

I had a Volvo B18 with twin SU's that would get up to 30 mpg. The carbs need to have a proper needle profile. IPD, a local speed supply, had a large SU needle catalogue with lists for many common engine applications.

I see yo shift knob naow , me likey :lol:

lol Im very particular about my shift knob feel :P

thats the one from my Z, idk what Im gonna use when its time to put it back :rofl:

also rounded up 5 steelies (thanks to skunk and kama)

gotta finish dismounting all the tires so I can blast and paint them and then gotta go get my white walls :cool: