Coonan Valve Cover

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Coonan valve covers were made by Steve Coonan. He was an editor for various magazines. I'll try to get the full information, once again, from Marty Smith. Marty is an old friend that I re-located a couple of years ago. He wrote the column "Just Mini Truckin' " in mid 70s issues of Truckin'. We were in the same club Dead End Kids (San Diego) in 1974. Marty built and owned the orange 620 called The Hobbit. I am not sure what Steve is up to these days. Maybe Marty can give Me a production number on those L series covers.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Mark!!! That ad was in Mini Truck Magazine (NOT Mini Truckin') from 1984. Enjoy!! Can You believe only $5.00 shipping?!?!?!?

Those were the days!!! :blink:

• 12 years later...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/304568125238?hash=item46e9acc736:g:4a8AAOSwu6Bi0v6V&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAoIOU7FvUp%2FnTC7zxFUG9uxmO84mtReYRKgjWvDLelT%2BhWe4bD38SWYoF7bSoce52MRdW8I%2F%2FFaImA8ydON2SSOwcMOU%2BeLpMQo3GR09f5uHD34yve3nPAzQH4zsi2KNQFN%2F16kHQ0q1CzfXPxTJlXidJJ%2B12MbkJbfyb12LEFjOFXmeygspse3fcF7pglDjQSvDPp%2Bs%2FObyZCrLJnotXrFU%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR_iqsty3YQ

Picture 1 of 9

"This listing is for an engine valve cover made by Steve Coonan for Datsun. He was known for his work in writing & taking photos for hot rod magazines, but he also created a mold for an engine valve cover and used to sell them. This came from his personal storage locker at auction that had a mix of his items. I'm unsure if or how much it was used."

Edited by Dguy210
  • Like 1
On 1/16/2023 at 8:33 PM, Dguy210 said:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/304568125238?hash=item46e9acc736:g:4a8AAOSwu6Bi0v6V&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAoIOU7FvUp%2FnTC7zxFUG9uxmO84mtReYRKgjWvDLelT%2BhWe4bD38SWYoF7bSoce52MRdW8I%2F%2FFaImA8ydON2SSOwcMOU%2BeLpMQo3GR09f5uHD34yve3nPAzQH4zsi2KNQFN%2F16kHQ0q1CzfXPxTJlXidJJ%2B12MbkJbfyb12LEFjOFXmeygspse3fcF7pglDjQSvDPp%2Bs%2FObyZCrLJnotXrFU%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR_iqsty3YQ

Picture 1 of 9

"This listing is for an engine valve cover made by Steve Coonan for Datsun. He was known for his work in writing & taking photos for hot rod magazines, but he also created a mold for an engine valve cover and used to sell them. This came from his personal storage locker at auction that had a mix of his items. I'm unsure if or how much it was used."

Very cool, but that is a BLANK................no internal oil catch baffle, no hole for a fitting to that baffle & the holddown "bosses" are not drilled.  Bet that was a test part, or simply never sent out for machining! 🙄