What datsun started your addiction?

What Datsun started your addiction?  

82 members have voted

1. 1. What Datsun started your addiction?

I fell in love with the 510 back in 84' when my brother in law started taking me to Autox and to a large meet at the Nissan HQ. Watched a few movies, met Pete Brock looked at a few nice 510's and a few real ugly ones like a 510 that was trying to be a BMW 320i (Ted Hedman has pics of it). My brother in laws was a 2 door red 510 with dual mikunis, hayashi racing four spokes, and a supertrapp muffler.

I have since owned 3 510's all four doors, hope to buy a goon as soon as one pops up in my area.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hell yeah,

for me its hard to say, iv always known of 510s and really liked them, but did'nt ever think i would have a chance at owning one. And iv always had a spot for z's but thought if i was going to own a car that looks like a engine bay with a seat behind it i would just get a 88rx7. I guess it would be my blue 72 620 that i sold. <_< i wasnt crazy about them till i got her, then i found this place and it got ,oh so much worse.

:rofl: ,,,,, have you ever driven an s30 ? :confused:

I have owned (3) 240z's , and (1) 81 RX-7 ,,,,,,,,, I would say and buy hands down the z series even though when in great condition the RX-7 I owned handled a bit better than my current 240z ( that has tokico springs, struts , poly bushings , magnesium mini-lite wheels , poly bushings ( nearly all ) , and wider P195-60-R14 tires. ---> from factory the RX-7 felt as good if not better in some respects :unsure:

The look , the feel , the possibilities scream s30 series all the way... For me it was my uncle's 1971 Pearl White 240z... I was 5 years old....

The first 510 I ever saw was a goon outside of an auto shop my parents went to when I was about 10, I liked it a lot but had no idea what kind of car it was.

Then when I was 14 or so I saw a 2dr 510 with a rollcage, lowered, It was the most bad-ass thing i'de ever seen and I still had no idea what kind of car it was.

And then finally, I got talking with a friend about cars and he said he had a project that he needed to get rid of. Told me it was a datsun 510 wagon, engine, parts, ect. I still didn't know what it looked like, I went home and searched google and got very excited over some KA swapped goon I saw online. I saved cash as fast as I could and bought it, and now its at my house. And now, the more I work on my car the more It has become my favorite car. biggrin.gif

Anyways, cool story bro. laugh.gif

510 started it for me :D

i remember looking at engine conversions for my pulsar at the time to find the same engines were popular for datsuns. whilst lookin about a bit more i saw a pic of a black/blood red 4 door 510 on a track with its rear end hanging out some (pic was from the back looking forward) and i just wanted one. that rear profile got me

i went looking once i had some cash, was disappointed to find they were rare and the only ones i found were expensive (well, they werent, but more than i could afford, which wasnt much heh). then through ozdat classifieds i think it was, found a chap not far from me selling one that i ended up buying and have had it since. every time i see one or a pic of a nice one i get that feeling like i want one baddd, then remember ive got one :D then remember its sitting idle and has been for a very long time :( and i should get it moving again already

510 and the 620 are probably the only cars (out of 6 ive still got) ive ever really looked at and wannnttttedddd as soon as i saw em. cressida was just cool, celsior was cheap, and pulsar i bought cos it was silver (really didnt know a thing about cars back then). dunno what it is about them

Mine started with 510s, but my first Datsun was a 72 PL521 for more practical reasons. I owned it over 36 years.

PL521_leftquarter.jpg

In 76 or 77, I bought a 72 PL510 two door. It was my daily driver for a few years and then became my autocross/street car. It won two straight championships with my local sports car club autocross series. Here is a shot of it just after I sold it in the early 80s. BTW, the original seats from this car are going into my current project 510.

myold510then1.jpg

The next owner kept that 510 until about 3 years ago. He sold it to the co-owner of Virgina Internation Raceway as a shell. It now lives on as a vintage racer. Here is how it looks currently leading the pack at VIR.

07hsr01442.jpg

07hsr01494.jpg

Darn, I miss that car!

Over the years I've owned one of every model made in 1972... 1200, 521, 510 two door, four door & wagon, and 240Z.

So, I cannot possibly vote for my favorite.

My dad brought home a used yellow '73 610 sedan back in 1981. I was three. I asked him if the car was going to be mine someday...He just laughed... :lol:

Funny how I got the car in the end ;)

Now, 29 years later, a lot of memories and roadtrips have been poured into the sedan I am rebuilding now. Thank goodness its not yellow, but still has her charm. I love every bit of the car :)

As the story goes, the year was 1972. On a trip through New Mexico, a man stopped into a Datsun dealership to have a look around. In the middle of the showroom sat a seafoam green 521 with all the bells and whistles.. heavy duty rear bumper.. AM/FM radio.. mag wheels.. in an instant, the man locked eyes on the small pickup.

"Hi there, can I help you, sir?" the kind salesman approached.

"Yes, I want that one right there. Where's the paperwork?"

"Would you like to have a look around before you make a-"

"I want that one. I have cash. Make it happen."

Soon afterwards, hands were shaken, keys were given, and the man was on his way with his brand new fully loaded Datsun 521. That man was my dad.

Years later, upon returning from college, I noticed the old, dust covered neglected mini truck parked next to my dad's shop.

"What's the story with that truck, Dad? Is that that same old pickup you've always had?"

"That's the one"

"What are you going to do with it?"

"Well, I parked it there years ago after I got the Isuzu; been sittin' there ever since."

"Does it even run now?"

"I don't know. You know how to work on cars now.. take it."

And with that, the sickness began.. Thanks Dad :)

my first Datsun was a 72 PL521

Over the years I've owned one of every model made

So, I cannot possibly vote for my favorite.

not favorite, the one that caused all this fun, errr addiction.

ONLY datsuns ive owned are 510's, never a truck or Z or...

when i was a kid my dad had a z

but i don't really remember it the first datsuns i ever remember are the trucks my dad had 1 red 620 (stolen and ran into a pole R.I.P)

then a gray 720, shotley after buying my dad found a huge bag of weed under the back jump seats then a brown 4wd and a brown 2wd.

damn i love those trucks!!!!

0704071454a.jpg

are old brown 4x4 i miss it!!!!