What did you do to your dime today?

Mesh-71

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was driving my Goon home from getting slurpees today,when my trans quit shifting except at a complete stop. it can sorta be put into gear when stopped,but 1st feels more like starting in 3rd,2nd works,but it pops out of gear if i even tap the clutch pedal, it won't go into 3rd,didn't try 4th,reverse sorta works. I knew i was going to have to change the trans,but was hoping to find a replacement first. the trans came with my L20b,& i don't know any history on it so i'm not at all surprised. it's always been real noisy too. anyway,I'm now looking for a replacement non-dogleg style 5 SPEED. I've heard that a Z 5 speed is the same as the one i have( mine is out of a truck). my Goon originally had a column shift auto,so i had to have my driveline shortened and cut a hole in the floor for the shifter. I just replaced the u-joints,so i'd rather not have to get a different driveline. are all the Z 5 speeds the same? are the gear ratios the same,better,or worse than the truck trans? i"ve been watching craigs list,and the Ratsun parts for sale thread without any luck. i did find 4 Z's out at Key Motors auto wrecking in Molalla,Or. & there are a few 620's out at U-PULLIT/U-SAVE in Boring,Or. I don't know prices for them yet,but i'm unemployed,so it's going to have to be pretty cheap. A VG30 swap is in my future plans for the car,once i get back to work,and if/when I can save enough $,so again,cheap is better since this engine/trans is not staying long term. any help finding a suitable replacement trans,and info regarding the Z speeds will be greatly appreciated. Thanks- Loren

ok, this is probably going to sound stupid,but.... since i've never owned a Z, are they dogleg 5-speed or not? i've never had the chance to compare a Z 5-speed to a truck trans. i've only seen my old automatic, an old 4 speed, and the non-dogleg truck trans (which is currently in my car & totally screwed!) I could SEE the differences i THOSE tranny's, but i've only read about/heard about the others. what about gear ratios? is the Z trans a better choice for use with my stock rear end gearing? mine seemed to wind a bit high at freeway speeds (3500 -4500 @ 55 -80 mph). i had guessed this was because of the trans being geared for use in a truck,while my rear diff was geared for use with the L16/automatic in a passenger vehicle. do you know where i can get a 5-speed the same size as my current non-dogleg 5-speed for a good price? thanks again- Loren

Got some QA1 (HAL) coilovers for $150 shipped! Springs are only 130lbs so I'll have to change those, plus they're not the normal length QA1's like top motoring sells, but since I'm using customized 280zx arms it's no big deal since I need to do custom brackets anyways...

coilovers1.jpg

sweet...you got those from Ricc right? :D

I picked up the rest of the parts from the guy I bought her from , then I installed a new passengers side seat belt, all of the panels in the car except the rear hatch (because it is beyond saving) door handles, and window cranks, Installed the Passengers seat, and assessed all of the hundreds of parts I got from the Previous Owner. I really need a hood prop! and I also need to get new seat belts for the back, I am of the thinking that 40 year old seat belts aren't worth re using!