Phlebmaster's Fairlady 240Z Evolution

• Replies 501
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

why not a temp/relay set up? I'd be really paranoid I wouldn't be there to kick it on one day.

I have a ZX radiator so I am going to try and run it with out a temp relay for now. We live in Oregon ...not Phoenix. :D

I have discovered that I really don't need it on unless I am idling for a verrry long time or racing the motor stop and go. I hear from a good source that this a workable set-up. I tested it out today and it works just fine with out the fan running, never goes over half on the temp meter.

Besides....I didn't have a temp relay "laying around" when I decides to put the fan in....just a switch. :) It's a fancy switch too. :lol:

Temp relay will come later.

Not that you would ever choose to have someone else drive your car, BUT, lets just say you get hurt and someone has to drive your car, and has NO idea that the switch needs thrown.

I never thought ANYONE would EVER drive my old Mustang either. But, it happened ........once.

Not that you would ever choose to have someone else drive your car, BUT, lets just say you get hurt and someone has to drive your car, and has NO idea that the switch needs thrown.

I never thought ANYONE would EVER drive my old Mustang either. But, it happened ........once.

thats when you tell them "throw zeee sweeech!!"

Even if you're the only person that ever drives it, it still only takes once. I've seen it happen enough to know that it is not a good solution for a daily driver. It's easy to get forgetful when you've worked all day and just want to get home to a hot lady and a cold beer.

Hi Pheb,

x3 you get a relay in there instead of wiring directly to the switch. Most electric fans pull 20 ampres, and all of that is going though the switch and will likely burn it up...

The stock alternator is only ~60 amps, so if you run your fan, wipers, lights, radio, heater fan, etc. at the same time something will have to give eventually.

Just read this whole thread, very cool. You work a lot faster than I do that's for sure! Can't wait to see the paint that previous pic of the pearl Z is sexy indeed. I'd have loved to do something fun to the 260z i bought but it was just too far gone.

Good luck! :D

my car came with a fan wired to a switch. i have forgot a couple of times, and also left it on killing the battery a couple of times. nobody drives mine either, plus i have the unmarked dogleg to deal with. it would be an interesting emergency situation with my car.

ive ran a switched fan before with no issues. Never left me with a dead battery either, even if you forget to turn it off you can hear it humming along when you get out of the car. If you want to be safe in that regards just wire it so it turns off with the ignition.

You guys are all correct... Here is how I have it.

I wired it to to the accessory side of the fuse block with a 20amp fuse inline. The swith carries the hot while the fan is grounded to the negative side of the battery. Clean and simple. So there is no way I can leave the fan on accidentally it will turn off with the ignition.

I drove my car today in the 95+ degree weather and never had to turn the fan on. :D

No one ever drives my Zcar..my wife won't touch my "rattle trap" :lol: I will get me a switch when I can find one. :D