Phlebmaster's Fairlady 240Z Evolution

My truck is a 89 and it doesn't have side markers, there are a lot of cars that don't have them. Always thought it was front and rear needed by law.

Is it a state thing? Or year?

Mine Z's are long gone.

They're there on all DOT-approved cars I've ever seen. Although they can be integrated into the front and rear lights, if they wrap-around to the sides with the red / amber marker lights. They don't have to be in their own housing...I could be wrong though :P

800px-Nissan-Hardbody.jpg

Edited by hughdogz
  • Replies 501
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They're there on all DOT-approved cars I've ever seen. Although they can be integrated into the front and rear lights, if they wrap-around to the sides with the red / amber marker lights. They don't have to be in their own housing...I could be wrong though :P

I know!! lol

I will get neon lights for under my car so no matter what...... everyone will see me coming and going!! :lol: Problem solved. hehehe

muil9h.jpg

Edited by Phlebmaster

Ohhh wrap around, I see. That makes sense.

Still though I think there is more to it. What about grey market cars like MG's, Alphas, Lancias etc legally registered, even some us spec ferraris/lambos don't have them either, unless it's like a single hidden LED. I'm not pretending to know, I don't. Just think since I see cars on the road without them there has to be more then an "all cars" law.

If it is though thats what Id do too. Single tiny colored LED lol. :fu:

Edited by 72240z

All vehicles since 1970.

Some importers may pay high fees to get by certain safety laws and pass those costs onto the customer. Like Porsche did in the 1970's. They retained the tiny bumpers while the Z got the big ugly chrome bumpers added to keep the car cheap.

Here is an example of no side markers. You can still see the front and rear lights from the side because they wrap around...but no specific "side markers"

My front turn signals are visible from the side, but my rear lights are not at all. I may have to do something about that but everything else should be fine.

Look familiar Bleach? :D

4v33nk.jpg

Edited by Phlebmaster

It can't be front and rear though

jeep-rear-window-towel.jpg

No rears sides by any stretch of the imagination. If its just fronts I'd say the 240z falls into the wrap around category, you can clearly see the fronts from the side. Not so much the rest of the s30 series though.

Edited by 72240z

The wrap around lights ARE side markers! I thought you understood that. I never said nor did the law say you had to have separate lights. They just have to be visable from the side.

The front 240Z turn signals do wrap around but Nissan either did not put lights into the outter sides or they did not put reflectors in that spot and instead they DECIDED to put a separate side marker.

Both the Hardbody/Frontier have rear tail lights that have visible light front and side as well as reflectors.

markers01.jpg

markers02.jpg

The 350Z gets tricky with the three LED lights by the headlight acting as the side marker (visible from the side in the color orange) but the legal orange reflector is a separate unit that does not light up. Same with the rear. The "point" is the reflector and the LED tail lights are set up in such a manner that they are visible from the side.

markers03.jpg

A side marker marks the side of the car in light. It doesn't have to be a separate unit.

1970 in Japan you had to have a front side marker but not a rear. My Fairlady has no rear marker from the factory but has both the wrap around turn signal and the separate side light.

Also, dont' show the back of a Jeep and say it has no side markers. The next time you're by one, look at those generic Jeep tail lights. They have a clear lense on the side so when the tail lights are on, they are also side markers! (same with some trailer lights)

peace out :D

Well if you guys say so, I did understand the wrap around bit after the fact. I'm not going to get my balls broke anymore for asking questions lol, NJ could give a fuck so w/e Idc.

Then your end is fail since me and bleach seem to see it just fine lol :fu:

It doesn't matter though, why side track the thread, I was just trying to understand better. Esp since we both don't have side markers.

Then your end is fail since me and bleach seem to see it just fine lol :fu:

I couldn't see it either. I had to "edit" your post and then copy and paste the text to a new window to open the picture. I think the host is blocking picture links.

Why could I see it after posting? Genuine question.

its cached on your computer. Your browser recognizes the location of the image and displays it from a local copy instead of trying to reload it from the website you viewed it from originally.