Phlebmaster's Fairlady 240Z Evolution

• Replies 501
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hold the presses!!

I just found out that I may be getting the motor out of this 12 second car!! Minus the aluminum parts and high rise intake...but who cares! I will have some serious HP to start with. He also has a couple of 4spds I can look at. He is making me an awesome deal AND I will get the chance to drive the car before I buy.

The motor is a 350 with 307 heads and a cam...other than that I don't know much more right now. I am stoked!! :D

I will need a waterpump and a stock intake.

why would you put 307 heads on a 350? i am confused by this 307's are smog engines. some one please school me.

Ya it was my understanding that 307 heads were like one the worst possible heads to use. Large cc, smaller valves, restrictive ports etc....

Maybe the guy already had a worked set of them or something, idk

why would you put 307 heads on a 350? i am confused by this 307's are smog engines. some one please school me.

I will find out more when I go and look at the Vega. I am pretty sure that the heads have been modified.

My assumption is a higher compression is achieved with the 307 head........But I am still learning. Some one please school both of us. :)

I will find out more when I go and look at the Vega. I am pretty sure that the heads have been modified.

My assumption is a higher compression is achieved with the 307 head. Some one please school both of us. :)

The 307 head actually drops compression. It's the 305 heads that raise it. Unless I'm mistaken anyway.

The 307 head actually drops compression. It's the 305 heads that raise it. Unless I'm mistaken anyway.

Ahhaa! I bet they are 305 heads then and not 307s, I missunderstood my coworker. This car is very modified and the guys have been racing for many years so I am sure they wouldn't make a mistake like that. lol

It depends which casting you have actually. The caprice is not bad stock at 1.84/1.50. Thats the same exhaust as many 350's and only a slightly smaller intake. It's really a tq mod, so flow volume is 2ndary, those heads on a flat top 350 yields ridiculous high comp and crazy tq but the motors don't turn more then 5.5k.

It depends which casting you have actually. The caprice is not bad stock at 1.84/1.50. Thats the same exhaust as many 350's and only a slightly smaller intake. It's really a tq mod, so flow volume is 2ndary, those heads on a flat top 350 yields ridiculous high comp and crazy tq but the motors don't turn more then 5.5k.

This motor runs good at 6500 rpm and loves it from what I was told. We shall see. ;)

Ya well I mean stock, if he built it then he could have easily ported it and installed larger valves. That would gain the 1k rpm.

Who doesn't love a high tq motor lol, save lots of wheels and plan out your ratios, 2400lb car and all. :D

Waiting to go see this engine is killing me!!! AHHHH!

Ok, I feel better now.

I have located an aluminum sbc 4 barrel intake for 5.00 on CL.

I got in touch with BrianV8z who lives near me and I will be getting together with him to discuss small details and look over his swap.

This will happen very fast as soon as I get all of the right parts together. Anyone who has seen my projects knows this already though. lol

Right now it is a matter of gathering what I need to get the swap in and running in 1-2 days. Ambitious I know... :D

As a kid in San Diego, I got to see the brand new '73's rolling off the ships. I was sort of dragged into datto's by my dad, so I've been around them as long as I can remember. Dad's best friend in '74 was also a car guy and swapped a 350/350 into an early Z, he pulled it to the race track with his aluminum Buick 215 powered 521. To top it off, he owned 3 Hillmans and a slap stick Plum Crazy purple 'cuda w/a 440 and a 6 pack. Fastest stoner I ever met...

Build what you like, it's your car. Good luck with this swap!

Me and a good friend built a sbc a few months ago getting ready to put it in his 71 240z as soon as the body gets finished. he loves the small blocks in the Z's this will be his second one. I personally love the sound of the l24-l28 but takes a lot of work to get power out of them. now me i would drop a rb25 or rb26 in one got power and that wonderful six cylinder sound.

Dotty004.jpg