Phlebmaster's Fairlady 240Z Evolution

• Replies 501
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I may kick myself for this post.... But I am commiting to a V8 swap.

I am in the process of looking for a donor car or a good deal on a SBC / tranny combo. I have been considering this for awhile and have been too afraid to mess up my 240z. I will take my time and do this right. I will keep you updated on my acquisition of parts toward this endeavor.

I have finally figured out that I will not mess her up if I have your help....and I know I will. I have seen too many awesome threads and have been encouraged by a uhem a couple of guys here who have done many of these swaps. It is just that I have seen a few of these swaps started and never finished and that is what makes me nervous.

No worries with you guys around.....

Failure is NOT an option here and I can't wait to get this thing done!! Updates as they happen.

Oh, first on my list is that V8 swap book!!

Then.....

My ideal donor car will be a very cheap, running, driving complete junker that I can pull all my parts out of.

If that is not the best option then the following will be on my list....

SBC engine 350 Preferred- must be complete carb to pan

Tranny Manual Preferred

JTR mount kit

R-200 and the stuff to make it fit

I am shopping CL now and looking into what my other options are for parts.

Not to be harsh but that is a very ignorant thing to say. Anyone who says dropping a v8 into a s30 turns it into an "American drag car" obviously has never had any experience with them what so ever.

I have 2 friends with lsx's in theirs that just completely piss on everything at the track.

Porsche 911's wave them by.....

Thats the norm too there are hundreds of v8 s30's that completely dominate.

I'm not partial to any engine in a z but I think the owner should do w/e the hell they like and not have their balls broke. Get er done ;)

unsubscribed to thread.........ok i dont ever subscribe to threads, but read them all. i have to say i dont like todays post. why?? just another american drag car when your done. Keep it a japanese corner chaser!

Tell ya what...I will JB Weld my elephant oil cap onto the new motor. :lol: JK! I could always look into the Q45, but that is alot of money and electronics I don't even begin to understand.

Not everyone will like this idea, I am aware of that. To those who feel that way I completely understand that this is not for everyone. :)

But this thing will haul butt once I get it done and my daughter will get to help me with something I have never attempted before.

q45 is cool but I cant justify spending that kind of money on an a adapter plate. That throws the project budget through the roof. On top of that your left with that funky intake many to change.

My dream combo is the bimmer m60 3.0 all alum v8 and 5speed out of the 750. When I find one for a reasonable price I'll try and make it happen lol.

Courtney is going to be SOOOO jealous!! She wants to V8 her 280. I told her she has to wait till she learns to drive it with the 6 first. When I feel she is confident with that, then and only then, will we talk about it.

Personally, I would go with a 351 Windsor and T5.

just cause I'm curious... whats your budget gonna be blood sucker? :D

Cheap or free .99 ;) :D JK!

I may have access to a free TH350 tranny and maybe even a decent 350 engine block w/ other parts from a guy who races a Vega. I plan on putting more work into this than cash. I know that the JTR kit is going to be a must and I will not skimp on that.

Remember....this swap leaves me with a running motor and everything to sell/trade to offset costs. I hear that this swap can be costly, but I do all my own work and always try to locate parts I can afford. ;) I have done well this way in the past with my 620 projects and even with the 240z up untill now. :D

I am optimistic that I can get this done under $1000.00.

:blink: Wow! If you can do that your doing great. Which motor are you after? LT1 would be nice... though not cheap, but not expensive. I have seen guys get complete police pursuit package caprice's for around $1000 at gov surplus auctions... the suspension and rearends are wanted by chevy guys...

Good to know. If my free engine and tranny doesn't pan out then I will look into that.

Iv got an R200 ;)

I know. ;) haha

I'm sure you guys have probably seen it already but there are two vids on youtube of a SUUUUUPER slick black Z with a v8 swap.

That car is as cool as it gets.

Ya hes very popular, been in the game a long time. Surely the motivation for MANY v8 s30 swaps lol.

:blink: Wow! If you can do that your doing great. Which motor are you after? LT1 would be nice... though not cheap, but not expensive. I have seen guys get complete police pursuit package caprice's for around $1000 at gov surplus auctions... the suspension and rearends are wanted by chevy guys...

Ya they use the cast heads though, total boat anchor imo. Plus only coming auto? Idk. There is def resale in the rear though like your saying to cut costs.

They have the exhaust manis you need for the s30 swap too, according to the jtr manual anyway.

I think best bang for buck in the efi 350 bracket is the tpi irock. You can get them for a grand smashed up, with the t5 already there. Less hp almost the same tq they are pretty as hell too. You get the option of a 305 though too, I think 305 tpi are sweet.

Edited by 72240z