Wrecking Yard Report

I was curious for a guy out in Yucaipa, but know now I've learned he doesn't have transportation to come pull the motor and take it home. Thanks anyway. What happened to all the Datsuns since PaP bought up Ecology anyway? Are they selling them off to a wholesaler instead of taking them to their yards? There haven't been hardly any for two summers and all the time inbetween! I hate that.

• Like 1
  • Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't know if its the yards the ones hoarding or flipping all the Datsun cars or the people are just not getting rid of them anymore. Last year, I used to see datsun cars on yards almost every month, so every 2 or 3 months I would pay a visit to the local yards. Now I am lucky if I get to see one or two a year, this includes Z's. Replacement parts are getting harder and harder to find for our little cars.

I was curious for a guy out in Yucaipa, but know now I've learned he doesn't have transportation to come pull the motor and take it home. Thanks anyway. What happened to all the Datsuns since PaP bought up Ecology anyway? Are they selling them off to a wholesaler instead of taking them to their yards? There haven't been hardly any for two summers and all the time inbetween! I hate that.

• Like 1

LKQ bought up all the Ecology lots around here. There's still Datuns but they come in waves. It's always been feast or famine at those lots. There's a few scattered Zs and a couple of trucks but not much else. Zs and trucks are always in the yards. The more obscure cars like the 210, B210, 610, 710, etc are rare especially the last three. There were quite a few 200SXs for awhile but nothing lately. They still get Datsuns you just have to be patient for them to show up.

• Like 1

I don't know if its the yards the ones hoarding or flipping all the Datsun cars or the people are just not getting rid of them anymore. Last year, I used to see datsun cars on yards almost every month, so every 2 or 3 months I would pay a visit to the local yards. Now I am lucky if I get to see one or two a year, this includes Z's. Replacement parts are getting harder and harder to find for our little cars.

LKQ bought up all the Ecology lots around here. There's still Datuns but they come in waves. It's always been feast or famine at those lots. There's a few scattered Zs and a couple of trucks but not much else. Zs and trucks are always in the yards. The more obscure cars like the 210, B210, 610, 710, etc are rare especially the last three. There were quite a few 200SXs for awhile but nothing lately. They still get Datsuns you just have to be patient for them to show up.

I guess I was having a pretty good run for 4-5 years up until last summers thru this one looking for 620 stuff. Sierra and I are having the same experience... extremely scarce in the southland. I know Colourbox is a speed demon on the road and scanning the internet Datto listings. I'd take her word for it,  but I sure haven't seen that many. I'll take your word for it that it comes in waves. It must be like salt water fishing? This year is another boom year for big tuna in close in San Diego, just not Datto hunting. I'll keep my eyes open and post what I find. 

• Like 1

By the way... Beware. There's a guy in Chula Vista selling Datsun parts out of a commercial storage locker and he works there too. He claimed he had a new $20 620 part and I gambled and paid him for it on Paypal since he gave me the address of the business. After making the 40 mile drive to pick it up I looked thru a big locker of stuff. He didn't have the part, claimed he had it and misplaced it.  I bought some other small stuff from him cash, and had to wait for him to try and upsell me a bunch of stuff that wasn't even for a 620 and I didn't want. he claimed he'd still ship me the missing part. Never did. If you deal with him make sure you do it in person and have the part in hand first. I sure wouldn't buy from his ads on CL and Ebay. His followup and word is no good. In person he's ok as long as you have the part in hand. Some stuff priced ok, a lot is pretty high, but he does negotiate.

• Like 1

By the way... Beware. There's a guy in Chula Vista selling Datsun parts out of a commercial storage locker and he works there too. He claimed he had a new $20 620 part and I gambled and paid him for it on Paypal since he gave me the address of the business. After making the 40 mile drive to pick it up I looked thru a big locker of stuff. He didn't have the part, claimed he had it and misplaced it. I bought some other small stuff from him cash, and had to wait for him to try and upsell me a bunch of stuff that wasn't even for a 620 and I didn't want. he claimed he'd still ship me the missing part. Never did. If you deal with him make sure you do it in person and have the part in hand first. I sure wouldn't buy from his ads on CL and Ebay. His followup and word is no good. In person he's ok as long as you have the part in hand. Some stuff priced ok, a lot is pretty high, but he does negotiate.

What is his eBay name?
  • Like 1

That's the same thing here in Phoenix, LKQ bought the 2 ecology yards and got rid of their stock, idk if they crushed them or sold them to other yards or moved them to a bigger lot. Maybe it's a government / vehicle manufacturing companies conspiracy so they can sell more new cars

• Like 1

And if you're looking at the LKQ site don't forget to do a search on Datsun and Nissan cause sometimes they mislabel the older Datsuns under Nissan. Generally I put in the search DAT and see what comes up and then I try NIS. They also have a habit of either spelling wrong or getting model numbers wrong so you're better off doing a general search. It's nice they're putting up pictures now cause then you can see if they've mislabeled the car or not. There's an '81 Z in Wilmington, a '79 280ZX in Rialto, an '80 200SX in Santa Fe Springs (I'm not that familiar with the look of those so I'm going by what it says on the site), an '84 300ZX in Sun Valley, an '81 280ZX and an '85 300ZX in Wilmington, an '82 pickup (I'm not good determining model numbers on '80s trucks) and an '81 280ZX in Riverside. I didn't look in all cities just the ones closer to me. Don't get discouraged kids. The cars will come.

• Like 1

By the way... Beware. There's a guy in Chula Vista selling Datsun parts out of a commercial storage locker and he works there too. He claimed he had a new $20 620 part and I gambled and paid him for it on Paypal since he gave me the address of the business. After making the 40 mile drive to pick it up I looked thru a big locker of stuff. He didn't have the part, claimed he had it and misplaced it.  I bought some other small stuff from him cash, and had to wait for him to try and upsell me a bunch of stuff that wasn't even for a 620 and I didn't want. he claimed he'd still ship me the missing part. Never did. If you deal with him make sure you do it in person and have the part in hand first. I sure wouldn't buy from his ads on CL and Ebay. His followup and word is no good. In person he's ok as long as you have the part in hand. Some stuff priced ok, a lot is pretty high, but he does negotiate.

Is this the guy in El Cajon?

• Like 1

LKQ has driven up the cost of used parts in the Phoenix Metropolitan area to that of the southern California prices.  It sucks and Gene and I have been driving out of town to get parts from independent yards all over AZ.  Fuck LKQ!

• Like 1

http://row52.com/Vehicle/Index/RNDmrtrhn2sv53VWgsao2nO2r

79 KC 620 at the Lakewood WA Pick-n-Pull

Seen this yesterday, been pretty worked over. So.e one had grabbed the delay wiper switch but rooky move, left the delay relay and harness. Also thank-you to who ever got the bezel started for me. Saved some time, even though I ended up removing the windshield and dash from the truck to finish the job.

• Like 3

Went hiking in my favorite Honey Hole in Denton TX looking for 280ZX rear springs.  Found this pretty straight '73 610...and bought the whole car for my son.

A187B832-3C37-4101-A621-8D37EAFB8D03_zps

Good job in buying that up! a 2-door 610 is hard to find. That spoiler looks a lot like a 240Z rear hatch spoiler.

• Like 1

I got to the 73 in hesperia there is also a 76 there

Ya, no picture or vehicle color on the '73 620 in Hesperia and it was the only one placed in that specific row in that grouping of placed cars, it looked..suspicious.

The 710 was listed under "Nissan".

I didn't even get to both because this was a vacation week.

I hate f!@#$ing vacations, I never take time off, no good Datsuns in the yards for almost a year and two placed in the same week that I miss 'cause of a family vacation.

Fun f!@#ing vacation too, came back with a case of bronchitis.

F~!@# me running....

• Like 1