cool cop stories

I was reading the getting pulled over thread and though it would be cool to post stories of when the cops have cut you a break or just plain helped your ass out.

i had some problems with the 510 recently and it would run for a while then die and not start. I tried to go up a hill and it stalled and I couldnt get it to start again. I was at the base of the hill and blocking the street and a cop pulled up. Here we go right? He said "I could push you but since you have no bumpers I am afraid I will break your tail lights. Instead he blocked traffic and let me coast it down the hill into a parking lot then drove off. Never asked for insurance,license,registration or made an issue of the bumper. No insurance on that car but I am insured to drive anythingi own but cannot make proof for the cappers.

Another time I was trying to push start my truck out of the gas station but the head was warped and the camshaft would lock up so no go and I got stuck in the turn lane. Up pulls the cops. He pokes his head out and says get in and I will push start it. So he pulls up to the bumper (620) and pushes until the cam frees up and it fires off. He just drives off and waves with a smile.

Had my share of mean cops but usually doing something wrong anyways so fuck me for being stupid. cheers to the cool cops that serve the public and realize we just gotta get on the road sometimes.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

in 1998 i was driving my Toyota truck, i blew thru a stop sign and hit a nissan sentra. totaled both rigs. He gave me a ticket for running a stop sign, 75 dollars and i paid it off. (my first ticke or accident)

well 3-4 years later i am driving in the same town near the spot i wrecked, i was in my 81 datsun 510 wagon. I had no insurance, bad tabs, no registration. I was goofing around with my friends and swerving, peelin out etc. The same cop pulled me over, didnt get one ticket and drove home.

Couple years after that, i had a tragic event happen, wont say what but it was pretty bad. Few months after that, in the same datsun 510 wagon, i got pulled over again. no tabs, no insurance again. Same cop that was at the tragic event. He walked up to the car and i didnt see his face yet, but he yelled my name and i just about jumped outta my seat scared shitless he knew my name!! Got away from that one too with no ticket.

have more stories but im going to bed now....

i was pulled over the saturday after x-mas coming home from my sisters house cops says are your headlights on which they were he then tells me you have no tail lights i am like what the hell your joking right he tells me to look for my self i get out and look and then talk to him for a sec and he tells me to be carefull heading home....as i am getting in the truck i check the fuse and one was burnt out so i put a new one in just as he was pulling away

cruising hollywood in the early 90's (me=passenger with open container) we all see a cop following-staring at us so we all try to play cool, looking straight ahead, finally the drivers says "the cop is trying to get your attention", ME??? :eek: :poop:

i look over & the cop waves... its my childhood friend/neighbor, just saying HI :blink:

Just a few weeks ago, I was driving back from the sister store where I work to the store I normally work at, I had a few boxes of shoes and returns in the back of the 'Goon. I've never REALLY had any cop trouble before, just a few stink-eyes because the car is debadged, low and throaty, but they don't want to pull over a 40 year old car because it wouldn't be worth their time.

I cross through an intersection, and a cop swings out to get behind me from one of the side streets, and lights me up. I pull over, turn off my car, roll down my window and wait with my driver's license and registration at the ready. The cop swings up to me, asks if I know why he pulled me over, and informs me (when I obviously say no, officer) that I don't have a passenger side mirror. I hand him my papers, and he takes a quick peek and gives a grunt sound.

"Didn't 510's only come in sedans?"

"No, Officer, they were offered in the US as a two-door and four-door sedan, but also as a station wagon. I found the wagon to be the most practical for what I might need it for, and it's been a dream."

"...One of my girlfriends in college used to have her one of these in a sedan. That sonuvabitch never stranded her anywhere. Good cars... If you weren't driving a Datsun, you'd be getting a fix-it ticket for no side mirror. Get it taken care of!"

I've gotten a fair ammount of fix-its on previous cars, but I thought it was cool to hear "If you weren't driving a Datsun... you'd be getting a ticket"

ive got 2 funny stories, both in my bagged and bodydropped mazda.

right after i got the truck going i was drivin by my brothers work and saw him in the parking lot looking at a customers car so i decided to do a little draggin. well there happened to be a state patrol on a motorcycle in the parking lot too. i didnt even see him until i saw the light flashing in my mirrors. i pull over and get my information out and give it to him. he asked me what happened back there. i said there was a leak in my air suspension and i noticed it was low so i tried to lift it up but hit the switch the wrong way because i was still getting used to it. anyone who has gotten pulled over by a stater knows that they are the worst for giving modified vehicle tickets. he does the dreaded walk around the truck looking at it closely and comes back to the window. he said that there are a lot of things illegal on my truck that he could ticket me for and starts going down the list: crooked license plate, no mirrors, no rear bumper, shaved door handles, no shocks in rear. then he goes on to say that he actually likes what im doing with the truck and to get that stuff fixed real soon. he gave me my info back and said have a good day.

about a year later i pulled into a gas station to grab a red bull before heading into work. i cruised in with my rockers about 2.5" off the ground. i park, get out and notice 4 cruisers right next to the building with the cops all standing by them looking my truck. i have to walk right past them and one says to me, "just to let you know, your truck is way too low. take this as your warning and next time i see you driving i will pull you over." i said really, well the RCW code ***.**.*** states that my truck is perfectly legal and procede to tell him exactly what the code says. at the time i knew the exact RCW code and what it states from being harrased about it so much. he goes on to argue that it doesnt make sense what i just said. after arguing with him trying to put sense into his head about a code he should know and him not wanting to listen to a "punk" 18 year old kid i tell him that i am late for work and that he can either right me a ticket right now or let me continue what i am doing. i come out of the store and he comes up to me and says you are right, your truck is legal. right behind him i see 3 cops all hovered around an open RCW code book. then he just turns around and walks back to his car.

... i see 3 cops all hovered around an open RCW code book. then he just turns around and walks back to his car.

dontcha love that shit!

especially after 'debating' for 10min before they actually read it and then say other shit to distract from the fact they got pwned by 'some punk 18YO(mohawk optional)' :fu:

never was a big deal for 'fix-it' tickets before they were $10 :cursing:

The cop swings up to me, asks if I know why he pulled me over, and informs me (when I obviously say no, officer) that I don't have a passenger side mirror. I hand him my papers, and he takes a quick peek and gives a grunt sound.
Um...you're not required to have a passenger mirror in California.

26709. (a) Every motor vehicle registered in a foreign jurisdiction and every motorcycle subject to registration in this state shall be equipped with a mirror so located as to reflect to the driver a view of the highway for a distance of at least 200 feet to the rear of such vehicle.

Every motor vehicle subject to registration in this state, except a motorcycle, shall be equipped with not less than two such mirrors, including one affixed to the left-hand side.

(B) The following described types of motor vehicles, of a type subject to registration, shall be equipped with mirrors on both the left-and right-hand sides of the vehicle so located as to reflect to the driver a view of the highway through each mirror for a distance of at least 200 feet to the rear of such vehicle:

(1) A motor vehicle so constructed or loaded as to obstruct the driver's view to the rear.

(2) A motor vehicle towing a vehicle and the towed vehicle or load thereon obstructs the driver's view to the rear.

(3) A bus or trolley coach.

© The provisions of subdivision (B) shall not apply to a passenger vehicle when the load obstructing the driver's view consists of passengers.

Amended Ch. 74, Stats. 1970. Effective November 23, 1970.

Only time a cop was cool was a couple years ago on the way to a Christmas party. There's a long, windy downhill road near my house - the speed limit is 55 for the normal unmarked, undivided highway, but all the turns have the suggested 20-35mph signs per turn. I was doing 60mph when I passed a cop...saw him flip the lights and start a u-turn so I slowed down and pulled over at the bottom of the hill and waited for him to pull up. Had my license and registration ready for him. He walks up and says something like, "I clocked you at 60mph when I passed you - don't you think you were taking those turns a little too fast?" I just paused for a few seconds, looked at him and shrugged saying, "No, not really." He asks me where I'm going and then asks me to keep it down so I get there safely, no ticket :D

Well I have one but it didn't happen to me it was one of my Z car buddies.

He was driving down the freeway and gets lit up by a CHP. So he just took the exit ramp and pulled over. Cop comes up and my bud asked him,

WHY DID YOU PULL ME OVER. ?

Cop says well this is the best lookin Z car I've seen in quite some time. I just wanted to ask you a few questions about your car. You see I have one that I want to restore. So they chat a little exchange phone #'s for parts and shit.

Then the best part as my friend is getting ready to head back up on the freeway. The cop asked him if he would light em up getting back on the ramp.

Why sure Mr, POPO. So he just punched it and did a great burn out. With the cop standing there on the side of the road cheering him on. That was the best cop story ever for me. :D

Um...you're not required to have a passenger mirror in California.

Every motor vehicle subject to registration in this state, except a motorcycle, shall be equipped with not less than two such mirrors, including one affixed to the left-hand side.

i wonder what would happen if you had a RHD and no mirror on the L :blink:

i dont have a rear view, but have both side mirrors = 2 :D

On a MC, at left turn at a major intersection where there are sensors in the asphault, i couldnt trip the sensor so i was leaning on the kickstand try to trip the sensor and a cop stops next to me(going straight) and asks what im doing "just waiting for a green, ive missed 2 series so far" and explained where i heard that what i was doing would work = usually does BTW, so i asked if i could go throught the red, he said wait till he was past. once he was i did a little burn out and took off.

i didnt realize how many 'cool' cop events i had, def no comparison to the opposite :eek:

About twelve years ago I was driving my '64 Fairlane through Cache, Oklahoma when I was stopped at a Highway Patrol sobriety check point. I was sober, had insurance and registration but had no seat belts. Seat belts were not standard equipment until 1968.

The very young trooper told me "the letter of the law says you will wear a seat belt!" and I told him, "Yeah but that law doesn't require retroactive fitment of belts into pre-1968 vehicles" and he and I went back and forth like this for several minutes as a nice long line of cars collected behind us.

Finally, an older trooper walked up and asked what the problem was. The younger trooper said, "This man doesn't have seat belts in his car!" and I quickly added, "Yep - ain't ever gonna have 'em either."

The older trooper rolled his eyes and asked, "Sir, what year is your car?". I told him, "1964" and he shot the younger trooper a dirty look. He looked back at me and said, "Sir, you really ought to consider putting seat belts in your car but if you want to go flying through the windshield that's your business - have a nice day".

I said, "Thank you, officer - you too!" and I meant it.

I have a good friend that is a cop. I passed him one day just after leaving a job site. I knew he was heading for the garage. I turned around and was just going to stop in and say hey. I come around the corner and there he is standing beside his cruiser putting gas in it. One hand on the pump and the other on the nozzle. I jump on the old T-bird to get some speed. As I'm coming through the island, on the other side, I lock up the brakes sliding to a screeching halt. He about jumps over his car and I yell REAL loud. FILL HER UP PALL AND PUT A RUSH ON IT, THE TAVERN IS ABOUT TO CLOSE!!

He, and everyone else in ear shot, is just looking at me. He finally starts laughing his ass off, waves to his buddies, and asks me, ARE YOU F#CK'N CRAZY????? I haven't laughed that hard in a long damn time.

:lol::lol::lol:

Datrod, I was pulle over in my old '72 SS Nova one time for the same reason. He came up to the car and just starts looking at it. Walking around it like he's looking for something. I finally ask him what the problem was. He just says, Oh nothing. I just wanted to see your car up close. I see you drive by here everyday about this time and have always wanted to see it. I just smile and say thanks but I'm in a bit of a hurry to work. He just SMILED and says, Well, I don't want to make you late. And with a shit eat'n grin says, You better hurry. I just smiled back and said, Yes Sir, I better. He walked back to his bike and stood beside it just watching. I figured he must want a show. So, I gave him a looong set of twins on the asphalt to enjoy. I look back at him as I grab second and he is litterally slapping his knee and laughing.

What a great day that was.

I had a 68 dodge polara back in the day with a tired ass 318 and a broken speedo cable among other little things. The car looked sharp but it was gutless as hell. I was on my way to work one morning and I was running a few minutes behind. It was the only time I remember pulling onto the freeway and there being NO other cars around so I turned the radio up and just cruised at what I figured was about 85 or 15 over the speed limit. The only other car I saw was a salmon colored crown vic coming in the opposite direction across the median. When I saw the brake lights come on in the rear view I pretty much figured I was fucked so I eased off the gas slowly and just let it coast down. About a minute later I was stopped and he pulled up behind me shortly after. It was about this point that I realized that I had no paperwork in the car and my wallet was sitting on the coffee table at home.... Sheeeeeiiiiiiiit....

I had my window down and my hands on the wheel when the cop walked up. The first thing out of my mouth was I dont know where the registration and stuff is and my wallets at home but the car is registered in my name. He shook his head and said do you know why I pulled you over? I said this will probably add to the ticket but Im running a few minutes behind and my speedometer cable is broken, the parts are no longer available new and I havent been able to find a good one in the wrecking yards. He asked me if I had any idea how fast I was going and I said I figured I was speeding but I really dont know with the speedometer and all I usually gauged my speed off of surrounding traffic and there was none around. He said 127... I was kind of surprised and said No shit, I didnt think this thing could go that fast and I asked him if he got me with the gun when he passed me, he said no this was when I was following you. Now I was really surprised. I figured I was really really fucked on this one already and figured what the hell. I told him that I had let off the gas as soon as I saw his brake lights come on, and that I was damn near coasting from then on. I also told him that the reason that I was so surprised was that I had done a compression check a couple weeks before and that only 2 of the 8 cylinders had above 100PSI and the lowest one was in the 30s. I could barely believe the damn thing moved let alone break 100.

I asked him how much the ticket was for and he said by all rights he should be arresting me and impounding my car because it was a felony infraction due to speed just off the 127 not counting the fact that I admitted to going faster already... he was laughing when he said this. He ended up giving me a ticket for a couple miles under the felony speed limit, let the lack of proof of registration/insurance/license broken speedo and whatever else go. Told me to slow it down and get to work in one piece. I still got a ticket but the guy went waaay easy on me and was pretty candid/nice/not a complete prick and I left feeling extremely lucky.

Funny thing is that while I was looking for a motor for it I was looking for a 360 to bolt in or all the crap to swap over to a hp440 that I had in the garage

I found a pretty built 318 for damn near freee in the craziest place... a datsun 620:eek: The guy wanted to keep the tunnelram and carbs but didnt want the rest. He only wanted the bed off of the truck because the rest had been hacked up during the engine swap.

I used to have an 01 focus and had done quite a bit of body work to it. I have a 4 inch widebody kit in it (there are only about 10 of these ever made) and I have ran through 3 different taillight swaps on it. Not going to tell any one story as they are all the same, but i had been pulled over 4 different times 2 in Fla and 2 in AL. just to be asked what kind of car it was.

Just last week I ran outta gas on the highway at 10:30 at night.

Walked 5+ miles in the cold darkness until I got "lit up" from behind.

I'm thinking

"Awww shiyit..."

But the officer just told me to just hop in (the back of course)-

Drove me 2+ miles to the first gas station, was patient and courteous the whole time as I filled the gas can, and then he (quickly) took me back to my truck-

It was cool!

I used to have an 01 focus and had done quite a bit of body work to it. I have a 4 inch widebody kit in it (there are only about 10 of these ever made) and I have ran through 3 different taillight swaps on it. Not going to tell any one story as they are all the same, but i had been pulled over 4 different times 2 in Fla and 2 in AL. just to be asked what kind of car it was.

Did you have the 5.0 engine in it too? If I were to ever own a Focus that would be swap/mod that I would do.

one time on the way home from the bar (no i wasnt drunk only had like 1-2 drinks in the several hours i was there.. but still paranoid an such.. so me an buddy are headin back to his place.. an for some reason the truck was pullin this crap on me where it didnt wanna start some times.. the starter would jus go click an that was it.. i think it was the ignition switch... well i was at a stop light it had jus turned red so i put it in what i thought was nutral.. (lots of sloppy play in the shifter) an i let the clutch out an poof the fucker died.. i think i put it in 2nd or something.. well she didnt wanna start.. so we tried rollin her backwards to clutch start it.. nothin.. tried 3 times.. finally light turns green we're pushin the truck through an what do u suppose pulls up beside us... Yup! i police man.. i bout shit.. he's like is everything ok?? im like ya.. damn ol truck ran outta gas again.. the gauge is broken... he jus laughed an said ok have a good night an drove off.. so we pushed the truck into the gas station parking lot which thankfully was accross from the red light lol an let it sit for a few till it felt like starting again... it hasnt really done that since.. not sure what the problem was.. i did change my ignition switch but not for that reason.. but ya.. theres my story

• 7 months later...
Got lit up smokin a blunt in the drop top 5.0. Searched, found my weed(misdmnr), scale(felony), beer in the trunk underage(misdmnr), dui(misdmnr). Made me stomp out the bud, threw away my beer, gave me a lot of shit for everything i was doing...and then left me my blunt to finish smoking after he left :)

lucky:D

i got pulled over 3 times. the fist time i was speeding 53 on a 35 area. the cop let me go cause it was halloween and i was going to a party and cause he didnt want to be the first one to give me a ticket... cool huh???

the second time i got pull over cause i fell asleep when i was on the way back to my house, he pulled me over right before an intersection... i pulled over he walked towards my car and had his gun on his hand, he thougth i was drunk. i told him i was just tired, he said he pulled me over cause i was going all over the road. he checked my license luckly he pulled me over 2 blocks away from my house... he told me to drive safetly and dont fall asleep again and let me go....

3rd time dat biotch pulled me over for speeding on the freeway. i was doing 72 mph the fckd up thing is other cars were going faster than me:mad::mad:

in the many times ive had cop issues only one time was a good experience i was driving my friend home from school shortly after i got my car running/ registered and insured for the first time well it had been running funny all day till it finally died at a stop light of course its at 3 oclock when all the soccar moms and thhere tanks are out and dont give a shit im trying to push the little datto out of the road way and i made it half way thew the intersection and a cop lights me up im thinking this is just what i need right now he sticks his head out the window and says get in ill get you to a better spot he pushes me out of the intersection and onto a side street he then asks if i have a cell phone i told him no so he asks if i have any perfered tow company i told him AAA he called them for me and made it so it wouldnt count tward my 100 miles a year i got home and looked at the points the gap was way the fuck out there so i replaced them and adujsted them and took my friennd home