Bummer news from Paul 71-521

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wasn't sure if I was going to post this...thinking it might not have been meant for the everyone. But, then I realized that this is a way that anyone, anywhere can help. This is an email I received from Paul's sister.

Hello, I’m Kristine Greene, Paul’s younger sister and his only sibling.

We have all just received this saddening news of the state of Paul’s health. If you’ve seen him lately, you can see his body is breaking down.

These past two weeks, TerriLynn has used more of her Family Medical Leave to care for Paul and take care of the family obligations. Each day that she uses her FML, she receives no pay. Paul is receiving no income. To put it bluntly, in a couple weeks, TerriLynn will have no income. She still has 7 of her 12 weeks remaining of FML though, so she’s not close to running out yet. The good news is Nancy (my Dad’s wife) and I have been working diligently the past few days to research and make calls on the long-term disability benefits of Paul’s, the insurance claims, etc. that are all pending. Paul’s long-term disability has been approved and he will receive a check most likely next week retro back to November. This is at a percentage of his pay (about 60% - pre or post tax, I don’t know), but it is income! It will help TerriLynn try to get through the rest of February financially.

However, in the coming weeks, if you had the choice... would you spend it with your spouse who not only is fighting cancer, but a Mersela (spelling ?) staff infection as well –or- go to work in order to get your paycheck? I think you understand TerriLynn’s dilemma. This infection is a highly-resistant to the one and only antibiotic that treats it and the hospital staff said this will speed up the process of his body breaking down. Paul is young and quite a fighter. His body is weak, but his spirit is strong. He is concerned about the wellbeing – emotionally and financially of his family.

Their sons are spending the next 10 days with our Dad and his wonderful wife. They will have a wonderful vacation together. This will allow Paul & TerriLynn to have much needed and required personal/alone time together. It’s such a blessing that it has worked out this way.

Therefore, to get to the point of my e-mail...we, as family and friends are needed at this time to rally around Paul & TerriLynn and remove the financial burden placed upon TerriLynn over these coming couple months. For every donation of approximately $150 to the family, she can take a day off from work and spend it with Paul. They have a bank fund set up at USBank if you want to deposit money directly in that fund and then send a note to them saying as such. The fund is under “The Puppe Family Cancer Donation Fund”. I’ve made deposits for others already and it’s quite easy. If you don’t have access to US Bank either, please send the check to me at 13347 SE 227th ST in Kent, WA 98042 and I will deposit it for you. It’s truly as easy to deposit money as you just give the name of the fund to the teller and they’ll handle the rest. Please don’t send the money directly to TerriLynn – taking time to handle all their mail at home is just one more responsibility that we’re trying to take over for her.

Nancy and I tried to figure out if we could call someone at Expedia (her employer) and request them to get a pool of donations together amongst her co-workers, but it seems that no one in a supervisory role can do as such. So please pass the word along to those who know Paul and TerriLynn. The sooner they get $$ coming in for them, the more at peace they will be with allowing TerriLynn time off during this important time.

Family and friends have already offered to help with home care of Paul in the coming weeks, but we cannot replace the time that Paul & TerriLynn need together. If you live nearby and are willing to help with being at the house if TerriLynn does go into work maybe one or two days a week, that will allow all of us to share in time with Paul and help this family in need. The goal is that someone will be in the home with Paul most all the day. If TerriLynn is working or needs to take care of other obligations – most definitely when the boys are home after school until TerriLynn returns. They have insurance benefits that will also allow a CNA to come in throughout the week to stay with Paul, housekeeping services to clean the house, as well as the RN’s that will stop in throughout the week to check on him. However, the remainder of the care comes from family and friends. If you aren’t familiar with hospice – you don’t return to the hospital. It is care for you at home until you die.

Please feel free to call me if you have any questions. I can be reached on my cell phone at 206.595.1397.

Thank you, and your help is greatly appreciated. I do not intend to offend anyone with this request, but I hope you catch my heart in wanting to help our family.

And I know that God is still in control of Paul and could extend his days much longer than any doctor can attempt to predict. Each day will be treasured.

J Kristine

2008 will be GREAT!

"For I know the plans I have for you, says the Lord, plans not to harm you, but to give you a future and a hope." [Jeremiah 29:11]

~ Ron, Kristine, Amanda, Garrett, Spencer, & Heather ~

The Greene Family at RnKGreene@comcast.net

I've never met you but from what I read you sound like a fantasic guy. Cancer is a terrible thing and took my father unexpectedly 3 years ago. Hang in there buddy and thanks for being such a great shot in the arm to the Datsun community. God bless.

Since I've been gainfully employeed again, I haven't visited the Ratsun forum much. Just learned from Doug (datsunahaulic) last night of Paul's condition.

Never met Paul. We chatted in the forum, by email and phone, but one thing/excuse or another prevented me from getting down his way.

Thanks for posting Kristine's email, Mike. IMHO, it -WAS- the right thing to do. I went through this $h!t with my uncle and mother-in-law, and my father-in-law passed last August from Parkinson's, age, etc. No way around it; it sucks.

All your prayers and good wishes are exactly what's needed. Any time or $$$ you can donate to help the family is icing on the cake.

I know this might be a ways off, but what if we could do a raffle at canby with most or all of the proceeds going to Paul's family? Like maybe raffle off a 510 or a set of wheels/tires (yellow620 might be able to hook that up). I don't know what it would be, but it seems like that might be a cool thing to do.

Tdaaj already emailed me with a similar idea. Great ideas and there may be a place for them, but the call for help at the moment is to raise the $'s needed to keep TerriLynn home with Paul right now instead of at work. We have over 300 active members on this forum....if everyone put in $2, it would add up to 4 days that she could stay with Paul. If everyone could swing an average of $10, that would make for 20 days.....providing my math is right! With taxes coming back and a federal kicker down the road, that's not much.....but the timing may not work for everyone. We're using monies that are earmarked for things that will happen after the taxes come back so that we can send more. Anyway...the club has a meeting this wed and it will be brought up then.

Here's some more insight and another option for some of you up north.

With this current news I have put together this event. I hope that you will be able to join me in one way or another.

I have also put this out for all my mom’s groups I belong to, King 5 TV station’s event calendar, I have asked Northwest Afternoon to give me 15 seconds of time on their show to tell about the event – this will be free if I can get 15 studio audience members for them on the day of filming if you can volunteer your time please contact me, I would be very thankful! I have also put this out for all my stamping groups which reach all the way across the country of the US, Canada, United Kingdom and Australia.

I am reaching out to anyone I possibly can to get help for terrilynn and Paul. Please reach out and invite anyone that you can think of to this event.

Thank you!!

Cristena

Stamping for Cancer

When

Saturday, March 1, 2008 at 12:00 PM

Where

Federal Way Regional Library

34200 1st Way S

Federal Way , WA 98003

253-838-3668

Sorry to hear about Paul. :(

It makes you appreciate the little things in life...and not sweat the small stuff. It is a wonderful statement of this forum and the people here, to get such a heart warming response sent out to a person who most have never met. We simply have a common appreciation for our Datsuns.....WOW!

My sympathies to Paul and his family.

I never really read this thread because I don't know the guy. But I just sat and read it and now I wish I had read it before.

Even though I don't know Paul, I wish him and his family the best regardless of what happens.

Paula and I spent a few hours with Paul and TerriLynn yesterday. It was great to see them again! Paul was still in the hospital, but they're hoping to get him home around thursday. St Joe's is a nice hospital, but it's not home!

I've asked them to work on a list of parts that are needed for his Datsun projects. Here's a couple of things to start it off. There are items, like the front window seal that will need to be new items. Maybe several guys can get together on it.

They need:

..front window seal for the 510

..stainless trim that goes in the seals on both the front and rear windows (510)

..nuts and bolts to put the 510 back together.

..rear floorboards(510)(I've already found the front driver's side, but I don't think the rears are good enough)

Maybe Icehouse has a better idea of just what the 510 needs. It sounded like that would be the first project that will be tackeled.

I'm checking with Tdaaj about a dogleg and crossmember that him and Paul talked about for $100. If he still has it, maybe that's another item several guys can get together on. I think that's the biggest item needed to get his 521 back on the road. That is a fair price, but it would be unfair to think that Tdaaj should simply donate it. A few people pitching in $10-20 will get Paul the tranny and everybody wins :)

I also wanted to say that the $150 that was mentioned on page 4 was just a reference. Don't feel like you can't help if you don't have that much. As Christine said, it's really easy to stop by a US Bank and make a deposit of any amount into the account that's been set up.

I know a lot of you don't know Paul and TerriLynn. They're a great couple that have 3 great boys. The parts will give them something to work on when Paul gets back home. They will also help the boys continue on with and eventually finish what their dad started with them. Carrying on with the Datsun torch let's the boys keep their dad's dream alive.

Great stuff guys! Thanks!

I've got to double check, but I think the trim is covered. I just talked with a buddy of mine and he's pretty sure he has the front....we just took the rear off a parts car, so we know he has that stuff. I know he definitely wants to have the trim on the front and I've never seen a back window without it.

I talked to the club tonight. They are having a swap meet March 29th and all the $'s collected from the spaces will go to Paul's family. So, hopefully, there will be a great turn out. I think Golden Garden is the next day....which may be a factor.

Ive been away form the forum for a while, Ive been updated with Paul's news by email. I would like to say that without knowing Paul, he offered me a pair of struts when my right side got broken. No one, at least here in Guatemala may like to do something like that and he did it.

Ive never met my grand dad's on my mothers side, because of cancer, a lot of my family members are not anymore with us because of the fucking cancer. (sorry about my french)

I would like to know a number were I can drop a call to Paul and at least introduce myself and chat a lil bit.